It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please tell me this bible verse does not mean what I think it does!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Stand
Other verses I do not even want to think about because they make me sick as to think god is telling these people to do what I think he is. For example, what does this verse mean? Numbers 31:17-18 “now kill all the boys and all the women who have had sexual intercourse. Only the little girls may live; you may keep them for yourselves.”

They were doing this because there was apparently a deadly plague among the people they conquered, and unfortunately, the only way they knew how to stop it was to kill anybody there who might have been infected. They kept the girls, because they were the least likely to be infected, and were generally treated as chattel in those times, and as part of the "spoils" of wars.

It seems cruel these days, but the girls were then incorporated into the victorious tribe as members of its own, and might have went on to live as happy a life as anybody did in those days. War used to be a common way for tribes to introduce fresh genetic material into their tribes, and avoid the negative consequences of interbreeding.

You have to read these things in the context of the times, not from your "enlightened" modern perspective. Just imagine what people 3,000 years from now will say about you and your barbaric behavior.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The New Testament helps all people, with the death of Christ It gives all mankind a chance to be saved from there sins, In the Old Testament man had to go through alot more to prove his love and to be forgiven by God. back then if you were to say no to God he punished you with his will through others.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

They were doing this because there was apparently a deadly plague among the people they conquered, and unfortunately, the only way they knew how to stop it was to kill anybody there who might have been infected. They kept the girls, because they were the least likely to be infected, and were generally treated as chattel in those times, and as part of the "spoils" of wars.

The plague was amongst the Israelite's,a curse from God for taking part in a pagan festival.(Numbers chapter 25) As the Midianites tricked them into this they too were punished,their nation was destroyed by Israel.(Numbers chapter 31)

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

Nonono. Your still not getting this.

I am saying that the bible is a poor representation at best of God if he exists, because it was written by man (don't know why God would wanna use stupid man who so clear screws everything up because of us being "Flesh").

Therefore the content of the bible is very sus, which is why in there God appears to be doing evil things which would be wrong.

You are taking this in a complete other direction, what man takes from the bible, which is irrelevent as we are talking about what man put into the bible.

Hence "devil in the detail".

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by veranda
"There is a God who is good, but you find him with your heart, not with the Bible"

well said!!!!

The NT is our guidence (Modern day Moses) ..our directions (To the coming Kingdom of Christ in the promised land (New Jerusalem).. ...our map (Directions on how to get through the trials and troubles of this world without it tainting your soul and causing corruption of all that is good and right and moral . ) .(Christ and his Apostles diary to mankind) ... ....to know who God and Jesus Christ were (THE LEADER) .to know what they want us to do ..(Which way to follow him ) to what end we will have if we follow one way or the other ...the way it ends for you as an Individual depends on what your choice was.......one who gets to that promised land or one who stands in the way and frustraits that way that God and Christ paved for you whoever will come can come ....or the other way ...following the other leaders (man and satan and all his minions)(like the Medians) their end is destruction ................

Plain and simple in my eyes ...
Pretty similar to the Israelites on their way to the promised land ...History repeating itself in modern times ...we have come full circle again and are about to come to the end of it all for one last time .........

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

Nonono. Your still not getting this.

I am saying that the bible is a poor representation at best of God if he exists, because it was written by man (don't know why God would wanna use stupid man who so clear screws everything up because of us being "Flesh").

Therefore the content of the bible is very sus, which is why in there God appears to be doing evil things which would be wrong.

You are taking this in a complete other direction, what man takes from the bible, which is irrelevent as we are talking about what man put into the bible.

Hence "devil in the detail".

By listening to that way of thinking ..Then everything ever written by man is a lie Wolf ?
Not everything written by man is a lie .
Men who could be trusted at their word who were credible witnesses who had dreams and saw angels etc and saw God doing wonderous things and miracles etc ...are credible men in my opinion ...
And since so much of the bible has come true already (NOT ALL but alot) then why wouldnt he be believed ?

I would put money on the fact that the bible is more accurate with prophecy than any other written word ....including Nostradamus(and yet people hang on to his every word like it is God writing it ) ..Just because we cant understand it all yet does not make it a lie..in fact soon all will be fulfilled before our eyes ..then many will see that it really was truth ..

I at least am not so closed minded to not even allow the possibility that it could be true .(so much of the OT has come true it is hard to believe) ....I watch prophecies unfold everyday ...like the world will get colder and colder and a future generation will be almost reprobate and not even consider father or mother and dont like to retain God in their heart etc etc (That is this generation which the bible says would come in the end) .....I feel him in my heart like the NT said I would (So that was true for sure) I have a much better life and not near as hard of a time now that I accept him as my saviour and try and live as that word tells me to ...than before I read that word ...so the words of that bible taught me MUCH ...and helped me to understand Christ and who he was and what he came for etc ....otherwise all I would have was guesses .and dreams etc ....and my own idea of who or what he was .....without that word I would be forced to just develop my own little knowledge of him (Which the bible says there is NO PRIVATE interpretation ) and I would be heading down a path that was MANMADE for sure (My own carnal minded thinking human side of me) .or be some New Agey fluffy feely Mytria cultish Christ ..or Scientific ly created android written research papers ... or whatever (These are only examples so dont take it all personal) ....which was what I did (Went my own way that seemed right but wasnt it went all wrong) prior to reading that bible and actually once and for all believing that CHRIST is who he says he is ....that changed me COMPLETELY ...from inside and out ...my lost hopeless life turned into one with hope and joy and love that I had never known and would never know if I kept seeking in from MANKIND ..and not GOD ..and CHrist Jesus .....

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

From 1:49 to 2:24...

We are all doomed!

[edit on 11/10/2008 by Aislin]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
By listening to that way of thinking ..Then everything ever written by man is a lie Wolf ?

Nothing is that clear cut. When it comes to history, chronology and ancient texts, it comes down to certainty, not truth - because we simply just cannot ascertain the truth.

Not everything written by man is a lie .

Not saying it is. You are misrepresenting me.

Men who could be trusted at their word who were credible witnesses who had dreams and saw angels etc and saw God doing wonderous things and miracles etc ...are credible men in my opinion ...

But why should we believe that, especially when the accounts be these men differ so much. The religion was fractured into many sects simmilar to today and the writings disagreed with one another. Need I remind you of the beliefs of the agnostics?

It's not reliable.

[edit on 11/10/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Ok real simple here
Israelites (Slaves)...Egyptians (who were keeping the Israelites as slaves)

ISrael wrote about their accounts ..(Slaves)
Egypt wrote about their accounts ...(Slave Masters)

Which one would you believe ?

NT
Scribes and Pharisees who hated Christ and are the main reason he was killed
Or the Apostles and those who followed his teachings
Or the Romans who killed Christ and used everyone of those people for thier agenda >?
Who would be the most believable ?

And no the Romans did not write the bible and the Catholics are not the first Christians ...

And Gnostics wrote from biblical texts and ancient Egyptian writings and scientific stuff (A all in one sort of book) .,......

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

And then they both start mixing their legends and fables into once factual accounts making unreliable records.

Now to get back onto subject, why is it impossible that in the case mentioned in the OP could not actually be God but that of an inhumane and unjust people committing massacre?

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
[The religion was fractured into many sects simmilar to today and the writings disagreed with one another.]

The Torah was written (around the year 1600 )

The NT had other books yes ......which it is now believed that most of them were written by the Essenes (A sect who DID NOT BELIEVE IN CHRIST and were an extreme religious Orthodox Jewish peoples) ....they were like the Monks of our days ...
Do your research ....you will see ..

There are also some notes that were found that prove the apostles took notes (I will see if I can find it ) ...those notes were the same as some of what is in the NT ...
I used to have it on my puter but cannot find it yet ..I promise this is not bs ...

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

And then they both start mixing their legends and fables into once factual accounts making unreliable records.

Now to get back onto subject, why is it impossible that in the case mentioned in the OP could not actually be God but that of an inhumane and unjust people committing massacre?

Then that would mean that Gods word has been tampered with and God allowed that ? I hardly think so ...If he is indeed GOD and is SUPREME ..dont you think he would have preserved his word so we would have a word that was not messed with by man .
Dont you think God did not see this day comeing and prepared for it ?
When so many texts are out now ..and many more being written ....different bibles everyday with stuff left out and stuff added in etc etc ..

I believe that GOD is powerful enough that he protected the original word intact all these years ..And of course in two sections ..one before Christ and one After ..

Believe it or not is up to you ......But I believe it ...

Why would God give me dreams explaining the bible to me if it was not his word ? I know you could say how can I be believed ..and how do I know it was God ..well I cant prove any of it ...but I am not delusional and I am not insane and I dont believe in positive thinking too much ...and in fact I am the worlds worst on asking QUESTIONS and askinG WHY ..WHY ..why ..
God answers me ..in the word ..and in my dreams ..etc ..

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I find it amusing that you say this as it's often an argument against the bible.

Then that would mean that Gods word has been tampered with and God allowed that ? I hardly think so ...If he is indeed GOD and is SUPREME ..dont you think he would have preserved his word so we would have a word that was not messed with by man .
Dont you think God did not see this day comeing and prepared for it ?
When so many texts are out now ..and many more being written ....different bibles everyday with stuff left out and stuff added in etc etc ..

I have never ever seen any evidence that he has made any effort to preserve the bible from tampering because

A) It has been tampered with

and

B) He did not write it. It's man's book with man's ideologies.

The reason you see divinity in it is not evidence of divinity. The fact that it only appears "Divine" when you read it "in the spirit of the holy ghost" (in other words you have to convince yourself it is from god before hand) means it's far more likely to have no divine relation but rather is just a human document that's blown way out of proportion.

There is more than a dozen of books (bible incl) that claim to be the absolute truth and they all say that the others are wrong. They cannot all be right, logic dictates that they are all wrong, at least for the most part.

Logic dictates that the bible is not divine and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

[edit on 11/10/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Wolf please dont get irritated with me ..you dont even have to listen if you dont want to ....I am just trying to explain things as I see it ..

Sure I could be wrong ...
But I want you to know that I did not just believe it either ..it TOOK ALOT to convince me too ...
And then the dreams and stuff and my life changing so drastic after I truly wanted to know the Lord ...this is all just my personal testimony that I just like to share with others ..I am sorry if it irritates you ...

And I see his power when he sends people to me who are broken and scared and life is bad for them and they are wanting to change their life and he gives me the word (which I have already read a zillion times and now its stored in my heart and my head and my mind) and then I see them ChANGE ..after hugs and prayers and me just sharing with them my whole mess of a life and how God through his son JEsus and his word changed me .....then they ask to know him and all I do is pray with them and they get to know him too ..THROUGH reading the word ......and then living it ....
So I know he is more powerful than man gives him credit for .And he sure as heck helped those men write that word .,..for sure the NT ...
I have seen alot Wolf ...and nothing could convince me after all I have been through that that word of God is not true ....because it lives and breaths (It is a living word ..the spirit behind it is ) and it changes people .......I have seen it ..and been there and done that and know it to be true for my own life even ......

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Why not God knew what was going to happened long before we where created. Ref. the book of life that only God has. Every human is written in this book from the past and to the end.

I am in no doubt that humans have tampered with the holy books and words. Ref.THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA IN PHRYGIA PACATIANA 364 A.D. As one eks.

reluctant-messenger.com...

All we have to go on is books and words made up by other respected minds. But that dose not make it facts. It only makes it a thought or a jester.

When it comes to God and his creation God only wanted us to respect three thing concerning him. And that's the three feasts.

The rest is just God telling us what we are bound to do in time. Its not just predictions but a lesson in moral deeds and values and human actions. Its not Gods which that we do evil things but Gods predictions on behalf off our actions.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

You don't irritate. I get tired of you "evangelical aggression" but nah not really.

I don't like that you don't listen or stay on topic.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Spy I went to that site ..
The very first paragraph makes it ALREADY SUSPECT
Three true religions, Hinduism, Sikhism and Buddhism, believe in reincarnation. Three other true religions, Judaism, Christianity and Sufism believe in a resurrection. How can they both be right?
How can these all be the TRUE religions ..they are all contrary to eachother ..how can they all be true ??
Then the next click to read the next page
[The Master began. "There have always been two paths. One path is the path of Absolute Awareness achieved through meditation, and this is the path Buddha took. The other path is a path of Faith, achieved through prayer, which is the path Christ showed us. One path is with the Tao and the other is with the Father. Another way to look at it is this. One path experiences God as pure Awareness, called Nirvana. The other path experiences God as having a human like personality such as Allah, Krishna or the Father." ]

Are you serious that I can find truth at this site ?
Surely not ...

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

C'mon simply, you can't be that silly!

A true religion is not the same thing as truth!

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Wolf I wish you could hear my tone ..I am not loud and boistrous or pushy ..I am passionate ..and convinced ... .........there is a difference ..

I know no one cares what I say ..and I also know that no one takes me seriously and they may even think I am just a dumb blonde or something ..(I am brunette) but certainly not dumb ..and I am not someone who just believes anything and everything she reads even though I may sound like it on here ...I study my butt off .....and have been for about 30 years now (I am 49) .......
I also do not expect anyone to believe me ..because really I am simplynoone.And what do I know ..really not much ..but I am still digging and searching for the rest of the answers that I dont have yet ..and other pieces to the puzzles ..(just like yall are) ...It is just that I would take the word of people who were persecuted and killed for believing Jesus (The NT Apostles) over the word of the Scribes and Romans and the Essenes ...anyday ...

I do know what I have experienced though ..that is a fact ..
You can believe it or not ...(and I am not meaning that in a bad way) .

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Your right. And my point is that religion has been tampered with that's why i brought up that site. And there is many more eks. One could bring up.
Only the book of life will tell the truth in the end and that book is only held by God him self.

Humans will always spin in circles when it comes to the truth about God, we will do so until we die. That's what we are condemned to by God from the incident in the garden of Eden. We are condemned to just believing. And only the believers will move on with God.
The big problem is that we have to belive in the words and writing off humans when it comes to God. And thats why we spin in these sircles and never get anny more proof.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join