It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economy won't stop Obama's priorities, aides say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The economic crisis will not stop President-elect Barack Obama from expanding health care, overhauling education and energy policy, and passing a middle-class tax cut soon after he takes office in January, senior aides said on Sunday. Meanwhile the U.S. Congress should act to ease the pain of an economy sliding into recession by extending unemployment benefits and boosting aid to states struggling to meet their health-care obligations, they said. Obama's transitional team has outlined an ambitious agenda for the next several months as it scrambles to assemble an administration in the face of what is widely viewed as the worst economic slump since the Great Depression. The economic crisis will not prevent Obama from pursuing the priorities he outlined on the campaign trail, said John Podesta, co-chair of Obama's transition team.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=As80VYL4htyN.12zTNzxqBgGw_IE

Hmm...where are we going to get the money for this? There are some things that i thought he may hold off on because of the gigantic hole we are in. Could this be verifying that he may go forth with it all anyway or will he hold off on it till conditions get better (Let's hope they do)!

I just hope he makes the right decisions...there are many choices out there now that don't look good either way you slice it.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Obama to use executive orders for immediate impact

WASHINGTON – President-elect Obama plans to use his executive powers to make an immediate impact when he takes office, perhaps reversing Bush administration policies on stem cell research and domestic drilling for oil and natural gas.

Podesta also said Obama is working to build a diverse Cabinet. That includes reaching out to Republicans and independents — part of the broad coalition that supported Obama during the race against Republican John McCain. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has been mentioned as a possible holdover. "He's not even a Republican," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said. "Why wouldn't we want to keep him? He's never been a registered Republican."

Edit for link:

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 9-11-2008 by David9176]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Obama to use executive orders for immediate impact

WASHINGTON – President-elect Obama plans to use his executive powers to make an immediate impact when he takes office, perhaps reversing Bush administration policies on stem cell research and domestic drilling for oil and natural gas.

Podesta also said Obama is working to build a diverse Cabinet. That includes reaching out to Republicans and independents — part of the broad coalition that supported Obama during the race against Republican John McCain. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has been mentioned as a possible holdover. "He's not even a Republican," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said. "Why wouldn't we want to keep him? He's never been a registered Republican."

Edit for link:

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 9-11-2008 by David9176]

You can tell by that second excerpt that Obama and Harry Reid aren't going to see eye-to-eye if Obama's intentions are truly to reach out to Republicans and Independents to populate his staff.

Reid seems to have a hate-filled bias against Republicans by the quotes he makes about Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

But we'll see. If Obama puts Republicans on his cabinet, despite the cackling of the hens in Congress, then I'll be somewhat impressed.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

You know what SOS, this is exactly why I want the Dems to get the 60 seats, because I believe with the Republicans marginalized, the Dems in the Senate will be at odds with the wishes of the Obama Administration, and this will give the Democrats a chance to bring these differences to light and hopefully get rid of the hate-filled bias you speak of in the Senate.

As you mentioned, it looks like Obama really does have a bipartisan plan, but the Senate has other ideas.

Personally I think Bush ran into this as well when he came to Washington, but on the Republican side.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by sos37

You know what SOS, this is exactly why I want the Dems to get the 60 seats, because I believe with the Republicans marginalized, the Dems in the Senate will be at odds with the wishes of the Obama Administration, and this will give the Democrats a chance to bring these differences to light and hopefully get rid of the hate-filled bias you speak of in the Senate.

As you mentioned, it looks like Obama really does have a bipartisan plan, but the Senate has other ideas.

Personally I think Bush ran into this as well when he came to Washington, but on the Republican side.

We'll see. Chuck Schumer and Dianne Feinstein are pushing for reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine but Obama has said that's where he draws the line. I would love to see him veto their effort and watch them try to scramble together to get the 2/3 needed to override the veto.

That would tell us who in the Senate would side with Obama and who would side with the Pelosi/Reid sect. It would clearly lay out loyalties when we can look at the roll call vote at overriding the veto. Of course, those siding with Obama may have a curiously short shelf-life if they are up for re-election in 2010, but that's a topic for a whole new conspiracy theory.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

But we'll see. If Obama puts Republicans on his cabinet, despite the cackling of the hens in Congress, then I'll be somewhat impressed.

It would be a good move on his part and may possible install some confidence in people who are skeptical of Obama.

Will it matter in the long run? Who knows. If Obama can somehow fix our economy i will give him all due props in a heartbeat. I just don't think it's possible and i believe he will be unable to stop the bleeding. McCain wouldn't have been any better. In the end Obama could be just as limited to his policies as a Republican may have been....we'll have to wait and see.

top topics

join