It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand why certain posts are starred even if they are false

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Sometimes a lot of users will star a false post, one with false information, or one that just has a lot of false information within it that has no substance value what so ever just because it's an opposing view to the thread. I don't like this. Can mods do something about this?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think information should be judged by the reader not staff. Who should have the power to say that a contribution has no value for everyone? Something I consider silly and of no value may be important with much value to the next guy reading it.

You know what I'm saying?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
no star for you, next !

Anyone can express any idea's they wish as long as they don't break T&C. If you don't agree then express your own opinion. If someone feels strongly about an issue then then may star the thread. The thread may die a slow death as it drops off the first page into oblivion. The internet is full of disinfo, ATS is no different. As a senior member (many points) this should not be news to you

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Yeah, but, I think that it's a shame that in many of my threads, someone will put an opposing view, will add a lot of disinfo to their post, and their post will get starred rather than my post with true information. Members should at least try to point out that these kinds of posts are false.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by venividivici

Right. But, I just wished ATS would be more scholarly, and, if the post the user made was full of disinfo and the user knew it, then the user should at least try to shed some light on what they think of the information.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Sometimes a lot of users will star a false post, one with false information, or one that just has a lot of false information within it that has no substance value what so ever just because it's an opposing view to the thread. I don't like this. Can mods do something about this?

You are asking for free speech to be removed from ATS. I can assure you, people do not star posts simply for it being an opposition to the thread. They star them because that post represents their views. That is the entire reason the stars are there. It is the easiest way to see how popular individual posts are among members who enter the thread.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I'm not asking for free speech to be removed from ATS.

I'm just asking for users to be more speculative of the information they see on the net and to not take everything they see on the net as factual.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Yeah, but, I think that it's a shame that in many of my threads, someone will put an opposing view, will add a lot of disinfo to their post, and their post will get starred.....

Again that is for the reader to decide....not you or staff. You may consider something to be disinfo but that is just your opinion. Everyone should get the chance to decide for themselves as to what contains value....and they can express that by using the star system.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
isnt there a saying truth is in the eye of the beholder

maybe people are not believing what you are saying maybe they dont understand maybe they dont get it
maybe its people trying to obscure the truth

maybe your just wrong and everybody just knows it

[edit on 9-11-2008 by dean007]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by venividivici

Right. But, I just wished ATS would be more scholarly, and, if the post the user made was full of disinfo and the user knew it, then the user should at least try to shed some light on what they think of the information.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Frankidealist35]

I get your point. It is frustrating sometimes.

Asking that every fact that someone posts be backed up with a number of reliable sources would be too much to ask but ideal.

All we can do is call them on it and offer our side of the argument and hope reasonable open minded members decide for them selves.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Can mods do something about this?

IMO, stars are just a very weak indication of things. It speaks much more to whether the poster is part of a clique of like-minded people, and whether there is going to be any diversity of discussion.

I find myself quickly scanning those posts with lots of stars, and either joining that circle or discarding any intention of perusing that particular thread in the future. (Ironically – multiple stars and flags can actually drive me AWAY from a particular thread. Useful to know.)

Furthermore, I suspect that there are a lot of people with multiple logins to ATS, and they are flagging and starring themselves and their friends over and over again. I understand this is a T&C violation, but it is probably not worth the time to track that down unless it is extremely abusive.

Next time I see a post of yours, Frank – you get a star. (Conditional on content, of course.
)

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
What do you mean by "false"? Who are you to decide for us what is "false" and what not?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I think you're just looking at something to have a whinge about.

What I'm getting from you is you disagree with a point of view, one shared by many due to the amount of stars they got and you don't like it.

So as venividivici said, if you know a post is false, call them out on it, or ask why do they have that opinion.

I think that's the whole concept of "forums"

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

I look at the news all the time and try to find out if information is false or not. It's become a habit of mine after this last election.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think the thread has run it's course. The answers are clear. Any further complaints please use the function with that name.

Thanks

Closed

new topics

top topics

join