It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest Hebrew Text Is Evidence For Bible Stories?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Oldest Hebrew Text Is Evidence For Bible Stories?

news.nationalgeographic.com

His team believes the text may provide evidence for a real-life King David and his vast kingdom, the existence of which has been long doubted by scholars.

Carbon-14 dating of olive pits found at the archaeological site, as well as analysis of pottery remains, also place the text to between 1000 and 975 B.C., the time King David, head of the Kingdom of Israel, would have lived.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 9-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
As an atheist I don't really know what to make of this. It sounds pretty interesting I must say... It definately is not what I would call proof, and it definately won't sway my stance on God, or religion. It is however, an interesting find nonetheless. So I guess we'll just have to see where this ends up leading us to.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 9-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
the bible is in 2 parts the old one which has stories gathered together from other religions and twisted to be part of the one theme .. the new part is utter trash and is nothing more than propaganda by catholics to take jesus etc from the jews....

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
^ I fail to see how that has any relevance to the news story

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is not the first time that an archeological find supports the history and writings of the Bible. It's just another example of how modern society is still "catching up" with the Bible's validity.

Why you can trust the Bible

[edit on 9-11-2008 by holywar]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Generally the Bible is not thought to be straight fiction.
Many of the stories which were passed down and eventually collected into an aggregate were based on truth. It's interesting to see some texts from the Bible being proved to have a historical basis.

However the mood when people discuss this generally seems to be that this is proof of other claims in the Bible.

The Australian Aborigines also have collections of legends put together over the ages, many of which have a kernel of scientific or historical fact. However that does not mean I'm going to bow down to the Rainbow Serpent.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

I suppose that the part that was true is the one with King David.

And I think that most of what is on those stories on the Bible are at least based on real events, so this proves that the stories are based on real stories, nothing more.

Now, if they had found evidence of the creation of a human being of the female sex from a rib from a human being of the male sex that would different.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Actually as time goes by we see a lot of this kind of evidence springing up. That is why I do not discount all of the tales in the bible; they could very likely be a mixture of fact with lots of fiction, kind of like Oliver Stone’s JFK.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

new topics

top topics

join