It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof of Life On Mars Found In 1976?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This ABC news report from 1976 reveals some pretty interesting info about Mars. It shows that in the past the government was much more lax about the type of information they allowed to be released.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

The video has been removed. Pretty quickly it appears. hmm.
2nd line.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

What doyou mean its been removed? I just tried the link. It works just fine. Try it again and let me know. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Okay, it worked that time. That was odd. Initially it told me that the video had been removed. At any rate, it was a good video.

And you're right, they definately used to be more forthcoming with their information. I laughed at the anchor's closing statement about the lady with the UFO education center who said they landed the probe in the desert far away from the martian cities.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

And if they didn't want toland near the "cities" then they should at least land near the forests. See link.

www.marsanomalyresearch.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The problem with the Viking experiments is that they did not find proof of proteins or DNA molecules which life is made of. So the results could be explained by exotic non-biological chemistry. I am not saying life was not there, just the instruments used were not sensitive enough to find it.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Nicolas Flamel]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Great Post and Video!
Thanks!

*Life* on Mars way back then.
That doesn’t surprise me at all
We know there’s so much more to what NASA knows and isn’t telling us - to bad we just don’t know what it is!

What a blast from the past - doesn’t it just make you long for that kind of reporting quality and believability!

And that fashion! Woohoo check out the guys shirt - hehehe.

Thanks tons.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Wow!! Thanks, found it very interesting considering its age!!

Makes the mind boggle!! Well mine anyway

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Back then the government apparently hadn't figured out what a powerful disinformation tool the media could be. Earlier today I was watching a video about the 1952 DC ufo flap and this Airforce officer is talking fairly frankly about the sightings. That would never be allowed today.
Fast forward to 1:45

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 11/9/2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Viking carried four experiments designed to look for signs of life on Mars. One of those experiments detected chemical reactions which could have been an indication of life. None of the other experiments provided positive results.

The positive results could have been caused by life or by other non-living processes. The results were not enough to determine whether or not there is or was life on Mars.

Forests? I wonder why Skipper doesn't update his site with the new, high resolution images of the "trees".

Interesting...the photos are from "our own" mikesingh.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
LOLOL..
I love how at the end they said ..
'if you wanted to look for life.. why did u land out in the desert far away
from all the alien cities' LOLOL

2 things have never changed.. MSM pokes fun at us for denying ignorance.. :-D
and we say the same things then.. that we do today.. :-p

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow! So those "trees" are really gullies? what phenomena do you think would cause these formations? The flow of some liquid(water) from an underground source perhaps periodically initiated by build up of heat under the ground i.e. Old Faithful in Yellowstone?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

Hydrothermal events are one possible explanation but there are others.
# Dry venting of CO2 gas and dust up joints.
# Head-ward erosion: Fluid derived from sub surface layers is expelled up fissures eroding joints to create tributaries capped with mud-like material and/or ice.
# Modified Clathrate-hydrate model: Structures form as the outside of the flow chills.
# Magma pressurizes overlying fluids, expelling mud-like material, hydrothermal fluids or basalt.

Fluid - Anything that flows like a gas, dust, water-like substance, mud-like material, basalt etc.
Clay or Mud - We typically mean very fine silt or clay mixed with ice (H2O or CO2 ice), but would include clathrate-hydrates in this definition

Here is a paper discussing these possibilities.
spsr.utsi.edu...
Oh, and it's not from the dreaded NASA, who of course is concealing all evidence of water and life on Mars and insists there never has been either. (sarcasm, btw).

The CO2 model is becoming the most accepted possibility.
themis.asu.edu...

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The information "allowed to be released" was the same type of information as we get today, the results of the tests, as they said at the time, were not conclusive, and even if they were, they would have not proved life on Mars, they had proved the existence of chemicals associated with life.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well gee, you're no fun. Where's the conspiracy in that? If we're going to go around accepting every logical explanation that comes along...well, where would ATS be?

Brilliant example of lame humor. You're welcome.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I may be completely wrong here, but don't we KNOW that conditions on Mars could produce life? I mean, isn't there water ice at the poles?

Although, I guess back in '76 this was probably big news. I still liked the fact that they reported this stuff on the nightly news. We rarely ever hear about these things on the news any longer.

Surely the rovers on Mars have made intriguing discoveries of late. But I guess we can now just go to NASAs website to get the latest.
I just wish there was enough public interest to make it profitable for the news media to report on this stuff.

I liked the video I saw not too long ago from one of the rovers that showed clouds on Mars. That was pretty cool.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
reply to post by Phage

Well gee, you're no fun.

Hey!
I'm fun.
Really I am!

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sure..if by "fun" you mean, like me, sitting inside on a beautiful Sunday afternoon posting on ATS. LOL. I'm the "life of the virtual party".

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Hey!
I'm fun.
Really I am!

Do not believe this man. I repeat, do NOT believe him. He has no sense of humor whatsoever.

I think his evil plan is to bore the hell out of all of us with forever logic and sane explanations for even the coolest and most complicated conspiracy theories we can come up with.

All our hard work in vain...

Bad Phage! Bad, bad Phage!

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Yes and snow falls from these clouds, though apparently it doesn't reach the ground. I know life has been shown to exist in all sorts of extreme conditions but seriously, with the temperatures on Mars I would be surprised if life does exist there..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join