It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oil tanker ice breakers, what is really going on here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

oil tanker ice breakers, what is really going on here?

new ice breakers, oil tankers and russian contractors to help build in the construction.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
on tv i watched this channel and they were making ice breaker oil tankers, apparently it was the first ship of the sort to be built this way. it was a nice ship, but where do they think they are going to get oil with this. i say that they are finally going to get oil out of alaska. my question is, where? i never heard of any rig stations in alaska anywhere. the pipeline yeah, but nothing else. what is going on with this i wonder? russian contractors to help put in the engines. what have you poeple heard about this?

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
need the link,,,,there is none to go to

thanx

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
There is a huge oilfield under the Arctic ice. I don't think they have to go to Alaska to get at it.

With all the 'ice melting' at the north pole they might not even need icebreakers before long.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by estrip

Here's a link to something of the sort:

Icebreaking Oil Tanker

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I agree with Emsed1. There will be a bitter argument about who will own Arctic areas with its resources. Russia, Canada, US, Scandinavian countries are all interested in it. Russia just took the first steps for Arctic "race" and is leading candidate. Bets, anyone?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It could also be a matter of whom are they buying from.

Remember, Canada's arctic passageways are opening up, meaning they can purchase their oil from other areas of the world without worrying about the suez canal. They just need to request permission from Canada to pass through it's northern islands.

There aren't any oil rigs in the arctic yet, plus, I'm quite sure nobody has figured out a way to feasibly run an oil rig in such a climate, so they won't be tapping into the oil reserves up there any time soon.

So it's likely for the trade of oil, not for the procurement.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
I agree with Emsed1. There will be a bitter argument about who will own Arctic areas with its resources. Russia, Canada, US, Scandinavian countries are all interested in it. Russia just took the first steps for Arctic "race" and is leading candidate. Bets, anyone?

I think whichever country invents sharks with laser beams on their heads will win the race.

Laser sharks eat ice tankers for lunch!

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
thanks emsed1.
usa lags in everything it seems. we need to kick it into high gear, technology wise. instead of a cold war we now in a cold oil war race. so is the other countries competing for oil rights. something is going to happen and it is not good. i smell it.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
isn'tpoint barrow alaska pretty close to the artic circle and isn't that where the wells that feed the pipeline are based. if we where able to put them in place in the 70s why with 30+ years of new tech couldn't somebody do it again.

new topics

top topics

join