It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veils and License Photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Im not quite sure whether this is the right forum for this or not, feel free to move it appropriatley if need be.

www.cnn.com...

Should hearwear be freely worn in schools because of religious beliefs? I feel they should be so I guess the government did right on that. But what about the Muslim women who wanted her Drivers License photo taken without removing her veil. She lost that battle, which I feel she should have. Whats anyone else think about this article?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
i too agree with people being allowed to wear thier religious attire in school etc, but for passport reasons, no they should take the vail off. a photo on your passport is to show that you are really who you are (face matches the pic), a muslim can change the colour of a vail anytime. if there was a relion where a person would cover thier hands with gloves how would they be finger printed?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I think the right thing was done here.

I also believe that it should be ok for kids to wear there religious headware in school.

but as for the passport photo thats a little different,

I mean thats ID...i think that if they allowed her to wear her vail covering her face then the passports would be open for abuse..

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think it was the right call.
There's supposedly freedom of religion, right? Which allows for people to freely practice, including wearing religious garments in school as well as elsewhere.
However, the freedom to drive is not a right last time I checked and if she wants to do so, she needs to follow certain regulations such as having her photograph taken so she can be identified.
Also, didn't florida offer to take her photograph in private?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Here's a photo of the woman who wanted to have her photo taken with her veil on.
How could you identify a person wearing this?

thesmokinggun.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
that's a really stupid argument when it comes to identification purposes.....

hey lady...you had a black viel on in your driver license pic..now you're wearing a blue one...you must be an imposter... (see how stupid that is)

head scarves in school is fine...for identification it is not!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Im pretty sure i read a story last week (mainstream) about some amish men arrested for rape.
The part that got me was that the DID NOT have to have photos taken at the police station, as it was against their religion.
Anyone heard that before?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracer

Should hearwear be freely worn in schools because of religious beliefs? I feel they should be so I guess the government did right on that. But what about the Muslim women who wanted her Drivers License photo taken without removing her veil. She lost that battle, which I feel she should have. Whats anyone else think about this article?
This sounds like good judgements from the law. If a person needs an ID card, then it is most appropriate to have ones face identifiable. That is why they exist, to identify ones face with a name and a partially covered face obscures and defeats the purpose of ID cards.

Going through the public school system where the Public Law respects personal religions, then it's also right for people to wear their religions' accoutrement.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The woman is a moron. The current system is setup to use faces as a form of ID no face = no ID as it should be. When they decide to use eyes as an ID then she might have a better argument.

I think schools would be better if they made everyone wear uniforms. I would of hated it, but I think it makes for a better learning environment.

Schools do have dress codes and as long as your religious attire falls within those codes you can wear what you like. If a certain attire becomes a disruption to learning they can add it to the banned list as many gang related attire has.

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Although I can see why we have IDs I am against being MADE to carry them. Why should you have to prove who you are to the government? Like I said I understand but it just bothers me.

The USA got along for hundreds of years without IDs

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Although I can see why we have IDs I am against being MADE to carry them. Why should you have to prove who you are to the government? Like I said I understand but it just bothers me.

The USA got along for hundreds of years without IDs

I completely agree with that, and I don't think you have to show an ID unless your pulled over while driving, purchasing age requried products, using a check for purchases, getting on a aircraft etc.

I think I've seen COP shows where they ask automobile passengers for ID. I don't know what the law is and it probably varies from state to state.

Of course I always carry ID because I drive & having the license allows me more freedom to make changes in my itinerary without having to go back home. Now I'm going to have to look up the law on that one.

new topics

top topics

join