It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences are real and we have the proof, say scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Near-death experiences are real and we have the proof, say scientists

www.newsmonster.co. uk

Jeanette, a 43-year-old student nurse from Eastbourne, had a near-death experience in 1979 when she was just 18-years-old. It was triggered when a blood clot in her leg broke up into seven pieces and clogged the main vessels in her lungs, starving her body of oxygen. The doctors were certain that she would die. She did – but then returned to tell the tale. Read more

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/11/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
scientist are giving near death experience a serious look and it has turned skeptics into believers! some very interesting stories in this article from people describing light fixtures and objects only visible from the ceiling to people blind from birth able to see in there experience with death. a lot of scientist now believe the mind and brain are two different things (no news flash there lol)

www.newsmonster.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by neil a

a lot of scientist now believe the mind and brain are two different things (no news flash there lol)

Yet exist interdependently of each other.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I dont believe it at all.
Chemicals left over cause the experience.

Brain activity does not cease at the second of death.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
I dont believe it at all.
Chemicals left over cause the experience.

Brain activity does not cease at the second of death.

According to modern medicine all of these patients were effectively dead. Their brains had shut down and no thoughts or feelings were possible. There was certainly no possibility of the complex brain activity required for dreaming or hallucinating.

How do you explain that then?.

No brain activity, meaning not only not enough to have lucid dreams or hallucinations, no brain activity at all.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

though i normally , do not agree with you , on this i do agree with you

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

what about the blind being able to see and describing it, or the ones that can describe things on top of light fixtures and shelfs,or people who have no brain activity for many minutes but can tell the doctors what they were saying in there time of death.its easy to write something off without any research into it.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Their discovery is very real, and they came to a very good conclusion. Mind and brain are not the same thing.

The brain is a concentration of cells higher than anywhere on the body, BUT all cells have a mind of their own. The mind is everywhere, but because of that high concentration in the brain, you tend to think your mind is in your head, which is false.

When your brain dies, your mind does not die at all. It just transferes to another state of being, no loger connected to the physical attributes of the body. This is why NDE feel like you deconnect with your body, but you're still there alive.

You cannot die, just change form, awareness, etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Ok....but for every person who claims to have had a NDE there are hundreds more who didnt....does it just pick and choose who gets to have one?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hold yer horses there dudes.

Have any of you actually looked at any of the other articles on the source link?

I quote "Britain's biggest banks use astrology to play the markets", "Mysterious ghostly orbs perplex researchers", "Mobile Phones are Killing Our Ghosts"

Hmmm. Credible source? I don't think so. This should no be posted in the Breaking News section.

Once your dead, that it. Nothing, void. You only get one chance get over it.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Smugallo]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
hey thats cool i live in Eastbourne.

I hope their experiments reveal some much needed information about the after life.

Nice Post

[edit on 9-11-2008 by gimpy911]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Do they connect those little electromagnetic sensors to your head every time you enter the emergency room?

I don't think so....

So yeah they were effectively dead but that was what the electrocardiogram was revealing.

So in most cases of NDE's I doubt the doctors can say the brain was effectively dead. Unless the patient's body is being thoroughly monitored.

-

I believe NDE's are real, but the question is it all just last remnants of brain activity or if you are entering another state of being.

[edit on 9/11/2008 by kingsnake]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smugallo
Hold yer horses there dudes.

Have any of you actually looked at any of the other articles on the source link?

I quote "Britain's biggest banks use astrology to play the markets", "Mysterious ghostly orbs perplex researchers", "Mobile Phones are Killing Our Ghosts"

Hmmm. Credible source? I don't think so. This should no be posted in the Breaking News section.

I agree, although this shouldn't detract from the phenomenom IMO.

Once your dead, that it. Nothing, void. You only get one chance get over it.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Smugallo]

In your opinion...forgive me if I don't take your word for it.

EMM

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingsnake

Do they connect those little electromagnetic sensors to your head every time you enter the emergency room?

I don't think so....

So yeah they were effectively dead but that was what the electrocardiogram was revealing.

So in most cases of NDE's I doubt the doctors can say the brain was effectively dead. Unless the patient's body is being thoroughly monitored.

-

I believe NDE's are real, but the question is it all just last remnants of brain activity or if you are entering another state of being.

[edit on 9/11/2008 by kingsnake]

So you are quoting most cases of induced coma post infarct?
Or are you speaking specifically about this article of the topic of this post?
Most cases of induced coma including a lucid NDE are not even quoted in the above topics article.
This is a specific program.
Where is your figures or links to these most numbers you quote?
Many of the cases in this specific article, if you would take the time to read it and stop looking like a dyslexic brainwashed fool, do include the testing of brain activity during the event.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
Many of the cases in this specific article, if you would take the time to read it and stop looking like a dyslexic brainwashed fool, do include the testing of brain activity during the event.

In medical terms they were “flatliners” or unconscious with no signs of brain activity

linky

And what signs did they look for?

The earlier study from the dutch dude was much less than convincing, it provided little proof of dualism beyond anecdote.

So, essentially, they have no 'proof'. However, Parnia is undertaking a new study. Hopefully, with him being a new Believer(TM) he can keep an objective angle on this issue.

According to modern medicine all of these patients were effectively dead.

Except that they weren't, hence 'near-death'.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I think we "know" what death look like. Cultural backround, religion, media gives us illusion it is bright light or something like that.

If you belive hell then you can maybe see something like that.
If you think you see dead people then you maybe see them.

Maybe you can fly and see something real but what happens really after that it is.. we dont know really.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by hande]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Wrong. 'NDE' can mean someone was clinically dead, but revived. It is then referred to as 'near'-death because the state was temporary in nature, whereas 'death' is normally understood as a permanent state.

'Temporary death experience' would be an accurate description in some cases. It is just not a phrase that has caught on.

The unwillingness of some people to open their minds to the possibility their preconceptions are wrong simply does not lend itself to getting to the bottom of a matter.

Thousands of people have provided evidence of very real consciousness when brain activity has ceased to register on electronic devices, not to mention people blind from birth finding they could see, or sights and conversations being observed/heard subsequent to a person's near death/death.

There is a lot of evidence out there for those with an honest, open, enquiring mind. Here's just one other thread which addresses the same topic, for instance:

Man returns from the dead: video

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I highly recommend the book "Journeys Out of the Body" by Robert Monroe. It was written some 30-40 years ago and the man seems to be very credible.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by neil a

Good post,it is a subject which will attract "believers" and "sceptics". Is is a very interesting subject. I want to provide you and everyone with some new information regarding the subject.

A dutch cardiologist did a 20 year study on NDE and provided us with a lovely book

Pim van Lommel: Infinite Consciousness, a scientific vision on Near Death Experience. This book only came out in October 2007 and will be available in English in 2008.
source

Raymond Moody is also a solid provider and investigation in this matter.

Interesting read on a possible link to our conception of "soul" and "light" on the one hand and quantumphysical conceptions on light and information on the other hand is this link
I will translate a snippet out of the article which is in German .

"There are some physicst that have something to say -about NDE and ghostllike appearances- these matters. Lately the Viennese quantumphysicist Prof. Anton Zeilinger caem with the experimental result which seem to corroborate similar effects in our reality. And also quantumphysicist prof.Hans-Peter Duerr, formerly leader of the Max Plack institute in Munich, represents this opinion that Dualism of the smallest particles does not only is represented in the subatomic world, but is allpresent.
The dualism between body and soul is for them just as real as the wave-particle dualism of the smallest particles, so the fact that LIGHT can choose one form or the other, electromagnetic wave or lightparticle. There must be a quantumcode that reaches through all living and dead matter from here to the big bang. Consequently Duerr believes in Existence after death"

My own analysis on the subject is focussing on the aspect which follows out the exeperiment of Bell in 1982 (in which light seems to be in two places at the same time at the moment it is created [the light "knows" where is has to be to exist (detected) even if the space on the subatomic level is incomprehensible large and such information can logically not be available to the created light "particle"]) In a sense information seems to be allpresent at that level.

Theories concerning Remote Viewing that are concerned with the information space/time paradox, which I will formulate as "How can we know something which is happening at another place/time or in another mind while we are physically and electronically shielded from it and only being supplied with the coordinates of the place? , seem to point in the same direction in my opinion, which is : a timeless grid that is within and outside us and connects us as human beings and only can be comprehended at this point as light/information independently of the space/time continuum."

Which of course be awesome.

Could it be that our consciousness in a way can stay or hold on/exist in that timeless grid and eventually travel further into unknown regions?

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Pjotr]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by melatonin

Wrong. 'NDE' can mean someone was clinically dead, but revived. It is then referred to as 'near'-death because the state was temporary in nature, whereas 'death' is normally understood as a permanent state.

'Temporary death experience' would be an accurate description in some cases. It is just not a phrase that has caught on.

The unwillingness of some people to open their minds to the possibility their preconceptions are wrong simply does not lend itself to getting to the bottom of a matter.

Thousands of people have provided evidence of very real consciousness when brain activity has ceased to register on electronic devices, not to mention people blind from birth finding they could see, or sights and conversations being observed/heard subsequent to a person's near death/death.

There is a lot of evidence out there for those with an honest, open, enquiring mind. Here's just one other thread which addresses the same topic, for instance:

Man returns from the dead: video

Can you answer why many people are revived from death and have no NDE.Someone described it to me as simply waking up after a sleep...ie no tunnels,lights outer body experiences.So if this a natural phenomena that happens to the conscious,then why do these people not have NDE's...im pretty sure they have a conscious.Or could it be certain levels of chemicals released that vary person to person due to body chemistry therefore some people have NDE's and others do not? It is interesting though...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join