It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop saying people of color when referring to black people. everyone is of color

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Then suddenly someone decided that 'black' was inappropriate. Now the correct term was 'of color'. So I had to try and change my vocabulary once again. Then someone got upset at that and began wanting people to say 'Negro'. That didn't last long and we were to use 'Afro-Americans'. We tried that for a while and 'black' came back as an OK word. Then it was on to the term 'African-Americans'. Now we're back to 'black'... Jimmy, please, for the sake of every single Caucasian out here, PICK A NAME AND STICK TO IT!

i respect that. political correctness has forced how we define the "brown" people of our nation, to change like every ten years. its kinda odd. trust me, for the most part, you can say black guy, and nobody will get into an uproar, except for a few individuals who want to still cling to their african roots for some reason, and they feel you should not call them black, for they are not black, but they are african american, or you can say exactly what color they are, which makes more sense, and just be like, this dark brown guy was around here earlier, or whatever.

i had a girl i was dating for a while, and she hated the term black, and anything else really. she preferred african american, or an exact description of her, or another persons color, but she had no problem saying, white, honkey, cracker, etc.. so she was a hypocrite, and did not to be called out on her hypocrisy. funny part is, "black" americans have been the ones bouncing around with it so much. like you said, pick it and let it be.

i personally dont like colored, and the n word, well, i have already addressed that, but im not gonna get upset if you say, this black guy, or this brotha came up to me, or this dark brown guy. its really only colored, and i understand, history has shown that at one point, certain words were not as taboo as they are now. hell, my grandmother use to call asians, orientals, but in this day and age, certain things are just not acceptable anymore.

i say, feel free to use the term black or african american, or even really give people a twist, and describe their caller exactly. call people peach, mustard brown, etc.., that would be interesting, but probably spark another beef.

just say black or african american in my opinion. i realize people got other things going on in their life, than to describe a person to the t everytime they need to bring up a description of someone. if people said ricky, i dont like when you call me white, can you say, peach, and a majority felt that way, then i would switch up to.

in america we kinda generalize alot of things, but i dont think colored should be an acceptable term amongst this generalization. it just has a certain stench i dont like.

when my aunt tells me stories of people throwing rocks at her and trying to fight her as she got off the bus, while calling her a 'n-word', i find it due time that certain people erase that from their vocabulary, because at this point and time in history, the word has been used and abused, and has brought up a more hatred filled meaning in certain context, and the other context has been proven over and over again, to not be okay with many of the "black" americans living today. if you are white, or asian american, find 100 people and go up to them and say, whatsup *snip*, and see how their facial expression changes, even if your smiling with your hand out.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

If I was to refer to your race what do you think would be acceptable?

i think the problem in this thread has shown itself now, for most of you must not be reading what i am typing and posting, for i have addressed pretty much everyones issue already, and if i were to copy and paste some of the questions, and or comments posted, i can take you to where i have already addressed these issues, but like the lazy humans people seem to be, no offense, i keep reading the same questions over and over again. i apologize for seemingly directly attacking some of you, but some i have responded respectfully. i am just seeing the same response over and over again

like the one guy said. stick to what you see on your freaking applications, and stop making it difficult. black, white, asian, native american, hispanic. bam. if someone doesnt like one of those, than address it then.

people are actually making this more than it is to an extent, for the only thing i truly said was, i dont like the term colored.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmy1200

Ah. Ok. Well, it sounds like you have beef with your friend's father who comes from a certain generation.

Because like I said, that is not a term used today very much. Ok, well, I just learned Oprah says it (didnt know, I dont watch her lol).

Just let it roll off your black. Be yourself and let people judge you on your personality/character
And if people treat your poorly, well then, screw them!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

it does. excuse me saying i want to punch people in the face, but i didnt get all up in that australian dudes face when he said that to me. it was somewhat of a learning experience, since i wouldnt have known they roll like that in australia, but sometimes i just feel like people are testing my patience, because in this day and age, how can you not know, even if your in another country, that in america at least, some words are just not that cool.

im calm. calm and collected

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

As I respect your feelings on the subject.

As for the 'n' word, that would be much easier to erase if it were to be erased from everyone's vocabulary. Do you realize how many times I have been talking to a dark-skinned friend who regularly uses the word to talk about his other friends, and caught the word on the tip of my tongue? If it's said by someone else, then why can't I use it, especially if it's not intended to be a slur? It should either be OK, or off-limits, not OK for some and off-limits for others.

Now as to the term 'colored', how do I know until I find out by offending someone? If I were to meet you, hopefully I would remember you don't like the term 'colored'. But what about the next guy? I have no earthly idea what he wants to be called. I mean, without somehow branding what term you prefer on your forehead, how does anyone know until it's too late?

I'm not trying to start an argument over this with you, but it is something that bothers me. I intend disrespect or offense to no man (who hasn't indicated they deserve it
), but in today's socio-political climate it's hard to avoid it... especially if you're a white man. So please don't take anything I say here as offensive toward you and especially not toward your race. Us white guys didn't choose our color either.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

personally, i would just go with black. its simple, and its on applications. regardless of the naacp, the word colored is not on applications, because for the most part it is deemed a bad word in todays society. you can also say african americans, or some of the others i mentioned. my friend just calls everyone brotha, or hell, call the person by his name, get to know them.

yes, we do have an issue with using the n word alot when talking about each other, but i think to end the beating of the horse on that one, it is just the way it is. we use it at times when referring to each other, and we replace the er, with an a, and thats that. just like it had its one phase of being used a certain way, this is how it is used now. i personally dont use it much, and if i do, i try to not use it outside of my inner circle because of the reason you mentioned. people feel that need to question why i can say it, and they cant. it is what it is, use another word. we have created many.

black
african american
brotha
that persons name
literal definitions like, brown skinned, light skinned, etc...

there are many other choices other than the n word. i know what it was, but this is what it is. regardless of its version, it is generally not well taken by "black" americans, when said by white people in general, and is mostly well taken between black americans and hispanics. hell, if history was different, and it was black and white people in the projects, im sure hispanics would be the ones not allowed to say it in this day and age, and black people and white people would call each other that all day. its just social conditioning. thats not the case though, soooooooooo

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Calm down jimmy1200.

I do not drink alcoholic beverages.

I amguilty of baiting you. I wanted to see if you really were mean spirited or were just temporally angry. I see now that it is apparently natural for you to lash out at people.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

You think you're funny
But you are not!! Okay you are

Xenophobia. Good word.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

sorry

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

jimmy1200 I do not drink alcoholic beverages.

Your original post was filled with hate and threats of bodily harm.

I responded to your post and you returned that response with more hateful words and accused me of being drunk and or drinking.

And the sad part is that the anger is because of words you don't like to hear.

What we call black people has changed several times since I was born in 1947. It's most confusing.

Hopefully in another 100 years we will not have this identity problem. We will not be judged by our gender or our skin color, I hope.

Peace and Light

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I'll try to take your advice on using 'black'. Thanks.

It's beddy-bye time for this old decrepit redneck (
), but at the risk of beating that dead horse a couple more lashes, I want to leave you with a few thoughts on the 'n' word to consider in your musings: One cannot change history, and one cannot level a table by setting it on its side. The way the word is seen may be 'the way it is', but that does not necessarily mean there's not a better way. Hate is like a weed; it grows without any aid, unless it is cut down. The ability of one group to say a word or do a thing at the exclusion of another may be a source of pride and conquest (which I think it is among many), but it is also a source of hatred. All sources of hatred must be squelched or it will grow to destroy, just as a farmer must kill any sign of weeds to prevent them from destroying his harvest.

Earlier in our history, many great and wise and brave men and women, including Rosa Parks and the late great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., fought and suffered for the equality of all men regardless of race or color. Today, we all reap the bounty of their suffering, you by your freedom, and me by the ability to speak and know you as an equal. The fight for now is won, as evidenced by this last election in which I cast my vote for Senator Obama. Should we allow that progress and thus the gifts by such great people to be at risk over a single word? Even if the risk is small, is our progress not too important to risk at all?

I cannot change this situation. You, on the other hand, do have the power to change it. The power is yours to use as you see fit.

You think on that, and I'll see you around the boards. Goodnight, friend.

TheRedneck

[edit on 8-11-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   

hmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmy1200
about would i be offended if he called me a *snip*, because in australia they apparently say it, and its all good, but he said it here, and he almost got beat down.

Therein lies your fundamental flaw. You obviously hang out with utter bloody retards.

Fix that and I bet you'll start feeling a lot better about things.

Oh and just incase you didn't get the point, we don't say that here. far out...

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
before I go into detail as to why you are so full of B.S. Im gunna throw out a disclaimer first.

I can't stand racists. I have fought and bloodied my own fists over people getting racial against other people. I am white and have fought more than one skin head at a time (whom I truly dispise) over b.s. actions.

That being said. Your "rant" sucked. Some people, young and old have a hard time articulating what exactly black people want to be called. So they have to dance around names because people like you have to threaten other people and take such offence to something sooooo ridiculous because of your own insecurities and lack of patience.

I think it is pretty easy to tell when someone is makeing a racial slur or just referring to someone of a "colored" skin. So if you can't tell then maybe you should just keep your mouth shut.

And when I here black people use the "n" word I think good for them for turning it into something positive. Thats all good by me. But to sit here threatening anyone with a tire iron for using the word derogatorily is stooping to below that persons level and makes yourself look stupid and ugly. Even if they deserve it. if they threaten you with violence, I say take none of it and proceed to use iron generously. Until it reaches that point... walk on..ignore the stupidity.

All in all you need to take a step back and live in reality, not make some stupid rant on ats doing nothing other than closing more doors than you have opened.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

those are excellent thoughts redneck. i applaud you for your insight.

equals is what we are. we is everyone.

i think the op needs to take heed the words of MLK jr. a little more.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I hate heated discussions of race. It's so crappy.....

Anyway I find it funny when religious people argue that jesus was a regular white looking guy or jesus was regular black looking guy, like they want to win a contest. lol

He was most likely neither, he was probably a tanned looking middle eastern looking guy, like everyone else from that area.

I think that is may be possible that there was some black people living in the area, but the odds are he wasn't black.

Also the fact that middle eastern men can range from being really light, and have light hazel/green eyes to really dark with dark eyes. It's really just impossible to know, especially considering the history of many countries, there is always wars and people coming from all areas, travelers of other genetics etc it's all just genetics.

So who cares?

[edit on 9-11-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
How about this. I will refer to any person on an individual basis, in any way I darn well please. And if this message bothers you, well Phil Anselmo can tell you what to do.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I agree, it makes sense. If Jesus was born a man then he would have looked like and Arab of the times... olive or black or somewhere in between.

Perhaps some religious folk are trying to say Jesus was never born a man, and therefore genetics never applied to him? Curious if this is the case, why then are they so sure God would have chosen 'white'?

Maybe he was a redskin and that's why his text is red in the Bible?...

It's okay... I can say that. I am 1/3 redskin...

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I am so tired of this. Black, African Americans, Nubians, colored folks, negros, grow up. I've never seen so many individuals from the same race get indignant so often about what others should call them. Maybe this is where political correctness has gone so crazy. No wonder everyone is so "sensitive" about what you want to be called this week. You threaten harm for someone using the wrong term. How about everyone just refer to you as the "angry race"?

This week, my peoples should be referred to as "First Nation Great Peoples of Cree Ancestry". If you don't refer to people of my creed as this, I'm going to scalp you!

Caucasian Europeans, your name this week shall be "Caucosoid European Oppressors of the First Nation Great Peoples of Cree Ancestry". If someone does not refer to you in this way this week, you have the right to take their land.

You see how retarded this whole thing is?

GET OVER YOURSELVES! EVERYBODY!

[edit on 9-11-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic but I would like to point out two issues.

1. Please stay on topic

2. Stop Evading the Automatic Censors

Review this link please:

Terms and Conditions

Thank You

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join