It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory Marriage - Why Not?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
********************** = start of my responses

Originally posted by smilingsarah82

some examples

Originally posted by jsobecky
My main point here is to use what sounds like a ridiculous idea to knock down opposition to same-sex marriage. It also serves to hold people responsible for their actions; we have too many kids being raised on the street or by single mothers.

yes you may be trying to knock down same sex marriages, but my point being that you want to hold people responsible for thier actions. Didn't you make children?? you left your ex-wife. in your situation, i don't know who has the kids, but either way its a single parent. by your philosiphy of manditory marriage, you should have been forced to stay with your ex wife because of the children

Sarah, can you read? Where did I ever say I was against same-sex marriages? You are as thick as two phone books. No wonder you're having such trouble and your answers aren't making any sense

And if you took the time to actually read what I wrote, you'd know where the kids were. Not that it's any of your goddam business.

I think that a kid raised by two loving parents will thrive regardless of the parents gender. As I said, gays are human and to deny them the benefits of marriage is less than human, IMO.

now wait just one f*ing minute, didn't you say you were against same sex marriages, here your saying you don't want to deny them the benefits of marriage, but the whole topic of this post is supposed to be against same sex marriage, and for manditory marriage.

Once again : Sarah, can you read? Where did I ever say I was against same-sex marriages? No wonder you're having such trouble and your answers aren't making any sense.

now why do you think i called you a hypocrite????

john

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
*cough-cough* clears throat..................may I step in here? thanks much

OK ....YOUR ORIGINAL POST SAYS:

I propose that we hold those people to their word. I propose the concept of MANDATORY MARRIAGE for relationships that produce offspring. If you make a baby, you get married. If you're already married and make a baby, you pay a heavy fine. Do it again, you get jail time.

Now I understand your original post to mean:

1. You are trying to use MM as a defense against people who are against same sex marriage. Is that correct?

If you're already married and make a baby, you pay a heavy fine. Do it again, you get jail time.

I think this is where you are losing people.

Now did you mean if you are already married and make a baby outside of that marriage, you get jail time?

if not......YOU ARE THE ONE THICK AS TWO PHONE BOOKS!

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

You're missing the point John. You SCREWED UP your marriage and that is no ones fault but yours. It's just funny that someone who couldn't hold it together is talking about making it manditory. The only way that would work is if they outlawed divorce, otherwise we would have a 97% divorce rate.

(unless your wife just jumped ship on you, then nevermind the above sarcasm. Reading it now, it sounds a lot nastier than I mean it, so don't take it badly)

Bull. Your keyboard has a delete key. You saw a chance to take a cheap shot and you took it.

# you.

john

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus

OK ....YOUR ORIGINAL POST SAYS:

I propose that we hold those people to their word. I propose the concept of MANDATORY MARRIAGE for relationships that produce offspring. If you make a baby, you get married. If you're already married and make a baby, you pay a heavy fine. Do it again, you get jail time.

Now I understand your original post to mean:

1. You are trying to use MM as a defense against people who are against same sex marriage. Is that correct?

Bingo! And as a side challenge to those against same-sex marriage who use children as a defensse of hetero marriage, to practice what they preach.

I think this is where you are losing people.

Now did you mean if you are already married and make a baby outside of that marriage, you get jail time?

if not......YOU ARE THE ONE THICK AS TWO PHONE BOOKS!

So that's where I'm losing people? The word outside? Of course that's what I meant.

I will admit to the use of sarcasm and hyperbole to try to make my point. But you got it, Venus. And the original post was an answer to your "challenge" in another topic. I was looking forward to a decent debate on the topic of marriage.

In the future I'll stick to the multi-colored jellybeans to make my point.

john

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I find it weird that you have to have a license to drive a car or a permit to own a hand gun, but any yutz can be a parent. When i see how some people treat kids, I think maybe a baby license is needed.

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

And so someone who has lost his job isn't qualified to talk about employment. Or a Viet Nam vet has no right to talk about war.

yes they are if they are in this context but you have it all wrong you see, if you were to correctly compare your situation, someone who is divorced proposing mandatory marriage
it would go more like this....and so someone who has QUIT their job isnt qualified to talk about laws for mandatory employment or a soldier who went awol during viet nam who proposes mandatory military service and this is why people are calling you a hippocrit
by the way no where have i ever seen where smilingsarah has posted anything about being against gay marriage so maybee you better read a little closer before you go spouting off at the mouth and showing your ignorance and another thing if you read more closely you where first to start name calling

And you're too damn stupid to see the difference

TextSee what I mean, princess? You missed the original point by such a wide margin that I don't expect you to grasp anything more complicated than what color to paint your nails today.

You are as thick as two phone

judging by these comments i can see how you feel about women and intelligent debate and also see how you are divorced

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I myself am against same sex marriages. It opens up pandoras box. Civil unions by state, yesw, but not marriages. If two people of the same sex can marry, then hell, i want to marry my cat so i can be first lady when he becomes president. hes a consenting adult, after all!

But the idea of forced marriage is a great one. Keeps people from indiscriminately porking someone and creating future fatherless criminals. And married people who have affairs and make babies outside the marriage with other people? great. jail time, fines, hell yes! Teach people to keep thier zippers locked tight. excellet idea, it gets my vote.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tweeker

by the way no where have i ever seen where smilingsarah has posted anything about being against gay marriage so maybee you better read a little closer before you go spouting off at the mouth and showing your ignorance

Show me where I said anything, one way or the other, about her being against gay marriage. Otherwise your point makes no sense at all and your ignorance is showing.

I normally do not resort to name calling, except when someone does something like calling me a HYPOCRITE. Then I re-act. Go back through the posts and see where that happened in time. The debate was civil until then.

john

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I myself am against same sex marriages. It opens up pandoras box. Civil unions by state, yesw, but not marriages. If two people of the same sex can marry, then hell, i want to marry my cat so i can be first lady when he becomes president. hes a consenting adult, after all!

Skadi

If your cat can consent, then I want to marry it! We'll go on Letterman and make a million bucks!

john

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

But you got it, Venus. And the original post was an answer to your "challenge" in another topic. I was looking forward to a decent debate on the topic of marriage.

Me too, but by the time I saw your thread it was already out of control and had lost it's meaning

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
john,
ok so i read one part wrong, (the part about same sex marriages) big deal. But you really are a HYPOCRITE ive said it before, and i'll say it again. how can you preach about manditory marriage when your DIVORCED?!?!?!?!?!? It just makes no sence at all! none whatsoever. and you know what, all this name calling from you, shows your ignorance towards woman. no wonder your divorced. i don't think any woman in their right mind would marry and or stay married to you.

Origninally posted by jsobecky
Yep. Now it's clear. You didn't read too much at all...just enough to get you to throw a hissy fit and start name calling.

hmmm, lets see now. who started the name calling?? i do believe that would have been you. i just stated the truth that you are a hypocrite. that is all, and you resorted to name calling and putting me down, when you have no ligitimate answer to my question. i state one simple question. and you can't answer it, so like a child you start name calling. i am done wasting my time on you. obviously you are the one that is ignorant. and your not worth my time.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Oh, let me get this straight...when you don't read or comprehend, and jump to the wrong conclusion, it's the truth. When I react in kind, it's name-calling.

The tone of this debate, at least from my point of view, changed when you began the personal attacks on me; remarks about my marriage. That was where you crossed the line. You have not walked in my shoes; you have no right to make remarks about my personal life.

I did not attack you, or your parents for your upbringing, or lack of manners, though I could have after you began your personal attacks. You should not make remarks about a person's personal life. Whether you understand this or not, I don't care.

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by jsobecky]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join