It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Anti-Aging' Pill Makes Mice Mighty - Human Trials Begin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

'Anti-Aging' Pill Makes Mice Mighty - Human Trials Begin

dsc.discovery.com

Eat more than you should. Stay skinny. Run twice as far. Those are the big claims coming from a new drug study from Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, Inc., based in Cambridge, Mass. This latest study clears the way for human clinical trials of SRT1720, often touted as an "anti-aging pill."

SRT1720 activates the same receptor as the much-discussed resveratrol, the chemical in red wine that may slow some effects of aging. Both resveratrol and SRT1720 are being tested as a way to treat type-two diabetes
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
srt1720.com
www.emaxhealth.com
brainstuff.howstuffworks.com

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Okay, either the day has arrived where we really will be able to be thin and healthy by taking a pill that has no known side-effects and is soon to be on the market -- or Big Pharma will buy up the company, say it failed in human trials and never release it.

I personally find it hard to imagine that this would ever actually make it to market, as the financial ramifications for the Health/Pharma/Insurance industries would be significant.

Well, that and I am pre-disposed to see conspiracy everywhere

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-11-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I am in an interesting juxtaposition here:

I am VERY distrusting of Pharmaceutical companies and Corporate America in general.

On the other hand, I am a transhumanist, and wake up everyday hoping to hear about things like this
Cool find

Eat more. Stay skinny. Run faster. Last time I took a pill that did that, it was not anti-aging...

The red wine part is especially good news

[edit on 8-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Heh

This will do wonders for over population and world hunger!

We can't even feed the world now. Why don't they find a way feed the world with one kernel of corn instead of making it easier for us to eat like lard ***es and not gain the weight?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Where can I sign up for those clinical trials?

I could participate just as soon as I have a heart/lung transplant. I'm OK with my brain and body. But need new lungs to do the running.

Just kidding. I feel silly tonight.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

Same thing I thought immediately

Eat more, spend more. There's something for everybody, assuming of course, we don't precipitate the world into poverty and/or resource bankruptcy. Like many inventions while seemingly miraculous, may prove to be a double edged sword.

And it's certainly too early to talk about side-effects imo. Not that I'd want them to keep us waiting though. *laugh*

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I could participate just as soon as I have a heart/lung transplant. I'm OK with my brain and body. But need new lungs to do the running.

All joking aside...... never, ever, ever volunteer to be a "subject" in a "study".

Being a lab rat in an experiment is a real good way to spend the remainder of your life at a percentage of your previous capacity. Those that have studied the behavior of big pharma (and the doctors and hospitals they "own") will never take part in a "study".

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousATS

All joking aside...... never, ever, ever volunteer to be a "subject" in a "study".

Being a lab rat in an experiment is a real good way to spend the remainder of your life at a percentage of your previous capacity. Those that have studied the behavior of big pharma (and the doctors and hospitals they "own") will never take part in a "study".

Well someone needs to or there would be no medical advancement and humanity would come to a stall.Human guinea pigs are needed and will always be until computer simulation is predictable and accurate enough.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Heh

This will do wonders for over population and world hunger!

We can't even feed the world now. Why don't they find a way feed the world with one kernel of corn instead of making it easier for us to eat like lard ***es and not gain the weight?

The Population of the world is around 6,740,422,806

The total surface area of the land mass of the earth is 57268900 square miles

That’s a square area available of 220 meters square, about the size of an Olympic Stadium.

That is to say that if everyone were to stand equally distant there would be 220 meters distance between each person.

This is based upon a flat world, which we obviously don’t live. But the principles can be applied to our real environment.

In our real world environment we have massive multi storey buildings and underground facilities. So this increases the total surface area available several times.

Lets take a conservative estimate and say it only increases surface area 2 times… so this means there is 440 meters between each person… now shout at the top of your voice?? Think anyone will hear you???

Many claim over population is about the ability to support as opposed to the physical space available. This is a sensible route to take until you look at the massive stock piles of resource that are just sitting in silos or the total amount of food that is thrown out because it’s past its sell by dates….

So to me the term overpopulation is more about sweeping under the carpet the logistics of support with a simple can’t be bothered to resolve these issues type of attitude…

What am I getting at here??

Living longer doesn’t mean we have to cut the birth rate much, stopping babies being born that are un planned and unwanted is a good thing to do but doing as china have done and made it illegal to have more than one child is in-human.

I personally Love life and am in love with living. If I had the chance I would love to live 500 years + and I’m sure when I get to 489 I will want more life still.

What most do not take into account is that the development of the world under a population that lived so long would be so massively increased that we would come up with new radically different technologies to deal with issues and live more efficiently and be more effective as a species.

If Einstein had lived one hundred years before his time and lived for 500 years we would have a very different world right now. And that is just one person.

There are going to be some changes that people will have to get used to whether they like them or not, and some may say it’s the devils work but the truth is it is in our nature to grow, take that away and you will destroy the human race full stop.

All the best,

Power to the People!!!

NeoN HaZe

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
As someone who is intrigued by AVE (Actuarial Escape Velocity) I can say that someday, a pill might very well be all you need to take. But I cannot believe that we are anywhere near to there yet, possibly fifty years from now, maybe.

The best way to ensure great health is to eat healthy, exercise, and get enough rest. Following those three examples is the surest, safest, most natural way to achieve what this pill claims.

So, I seriously doubt the claim of this pill. But I do think that someday, it might be very much so possible.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymousATS

I would not say never. If you are dieing from an incurable illness. That might be a time to be a "Lab Rat" for untested cures.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

The main problem for the elites is that there would be too many people on the earth if it were in widespread use. No this has to be reserved for the elites no doubt.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

That’s a square area available of 220 meters square, about the size of an Olympic Stadium.

That is to say that if everyone were to stand equally distant there would be 220 meters distance between each person.

No it's not. It's 22,000 square meters, using your numbers. You're way, way off, by two orders of magnitude!

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
quote]Originally posted by Johnmike

No it's not. It's 22,000 square meters, using your numbers. You're way, way off, by two orders of magnitude!

I was wrong actually but not by the magnitude you state...

bear in mind that I actually did this calculation in my head last night at around 4am.

However I was wrong by 200 Sqr meters your calculations lead you to be wrong by 21978 square metres!!!!

My Calculation....

s = lm x 1000 / p

where as

S = Space per person
LM = Land mass
P = Population

-----------------------------------------------

Land Surface area in Kilometres = 148,940,000

x 1000 to get total area in sqr meters

= 148,940,000,000 meters

Divide land mass by total population of 6,740,422,806 gives the total sqr meters per person

= 22.0965 sqr meters per person.

Simple calculus really.

All the best

Power to the people!!

NeoN HaZe

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Neon Haze]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Land Surface area in Kilometers = 148,940,000

= 148,940,000,000 meters

That should be x 1000000 to get sq metres from sq km, not x 1000. Your total area in square metres is then 1.48 x 10^14.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Chris McGee]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee

Land Surface area in Kilometers = 148,940,000

= 148,940,000,000 meters

That should be x 1000000 to get sq metres from sq km, not x 1000. Your total area in square metres is then 1.48 x 10^14.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Chris McGee]

Your equation doesn't give meters sqr it give the total number of meters within the area.

I stated Square kilometres to Square meters.

So it's not 1000 x 1000

it's x 1000 square

And it's a mute point as the answer given is the same.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
See revasterol although its had some great uses and was a great clinical find.
Its not the answer to anti aging because carbon based lifeforms age.
Its simple they age and expire.
I guess if they can find something to slow the aging process, similar to those poor people who are born with advanced aging syndrome but reverse it.
Then it will allow even greater discoveries because if people live to 200, imagine the things they could learn and create.
They could get 15 degree's instead of 2-3.
It would take 2 years to discover things instead of 20.
However due to pharmaceutical company's wanting to exploit these things for power and profit, no doubt this will be rushed through and cause even more problems than it fixes.
Similar to the first polio vaccine's.
If eventually they could find a way to change the makeup of carbon based lifeforms without harming them, so that the chemical reaction that makes them exist, doesnt also lead to there decay.
Then that would indeed be a means for immortality of the body.
Although you might get some people who just don't want to live forever.
The problem with that though is that the most insane evil person would get it first and never be able to be stopped enslaving and exploiting everything.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Your equation doesn't give meters sqr it give the total number of meters within the area.

So it's not 1000 x 1000

it's x 1000 square

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

Nope, 1 square kilometre = 1000000 square metres. Take a 1km square = 1000 metres per side, total area = 1000m x 1000m = 1000000 square metres.

You're only multiplying up in one direction, not squaring it.

See these links:

Land area of earth

Square Metre

Conversion calculator

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee

So it's not 1000 x 1000

it's x 1000 square

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

Nope, 1 square kilometre = 1000000 square metres. Take a 1km square = 1000 metres per side, total area = 1000m x 1000m = 1000000 square metres.

You're only multiplying up in one direction, not squaring it.

See these links:

Land area of earth

Square Metre

Conversion calculator

We are stating exactly the same thing, go back and re-read the equation and you will see that I quoted SQR to SQR

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
you think there's a pill which can give eternal life? how silly...

if this pill is only to delay death then what's the point? death will come one way or another, it's better to be at peace with that than popping some pills each day.

by the way, i like plump women too. i think there's nothing wrong with people being a soft around the edges, if anything i think its more healthy for the mind and the body to be at peace with oneself rather than choosing to medicate oneself to achieve a skinny body, which is quite sickening.

is there no one here who is disgusted by this? there is no doubt in my mind that these pills will come with hard side effects and cause the patient more harm than good. on principle, this is just wrong and sick.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join