It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best western states to escape to when SHTF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Forest

You must not have lived in oregon very long then are are very very young. We have had earthquakes they just arent that big

We are near a huge fault line though. The juan de fuca if i remeber correct. I think its the plate they say could produce and should produce the largest quake to date when it goes.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Maybe sharing the pie would be a good thing, strength in numbers, maybe build a small fortress out in the wilderness and use a 'family' network some hunt and game and some garden, etc. Man, I wish I would have already organized something like this years ago. I am going to be sorry I haven't but I would opt for Northern Montana, Oregon is beautiful and Washington is to close to'gates ville' which I feel would be extremely hard hit. I dunno.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici

Alaska and Hawaii were left off because of the remoteness, however, it could be argued that for hardcore survivalists, Alaska is nirvana.

A nirvana it is not. Alaska is in fact a very hard place. However, if sit-x comes, its where I want to be.

Yes, the winters are long and cold. But the ammount of food that can be grown in the summer would easily fill your pantry for the hard months. There is game everywhere, moose, caribou, bears, rabbits, and fish like you wouldnt believe. Finish your "shopping" list with the piles of wild berries that are extremely abundant and you should do just fine.

You need to keep up with the firewood, no question, but a well built cabin does just fine at fifty below with a moderate woodstove.

The best part of Alaska is that the people up here, for the most part, plan ahead. You wont have millions of people pouring into your farmland, or raiding your stashes. You may have small bands of people who didnt prepare, they will either merge with others or die. Also, Alaska is very well armed, people know not to mess with each other over the fear of being shot, sit-x will be no different.

The winters are long cold and dark, there are things in the woods that can and will eat you, the rivers are trecherous, there are few roads, and the people are nuts. But in the end, I would rather need to do a little extra work to stay alive instead of dealing with the crazed masses of the lower 48.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I choose to be where I am.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox
I choose to be where I am.

OMygosh.....so simple yet SO profound!!! Now I can smile and take a breath of fresh air.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Im looking at going into the swamps of Louisiana, remote only a handful of people and you could easily live off the grid. though i have considered alaska, it may be freezing but id rather be cold than surrounded by nut jobs in the lower 48.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Our alternative location in the US ( IE if we are in the US WTSHTF instead of the UK) is the Cimmaron grasslands and foothills of SW KS & SE CO.

Low population, plenty of clean water, loads of wood, goodish hunting, some opencast coal, neither to low nor to high altitude wise, fabulous people who thrive on self reliance.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Take it from someone who was born and spent most of my life in the west... scratch off all the rocky mountain states off your list.... over the past 10 years we've had a major drought and every summer wildfires rage in our mountains!

Lets start at the bottom... New Mexico has a severe water shortage. bad enough that if the SHTF we could very well see something like the old Lincoln county wars happen again... plus you'll be dealing with the Mexicans flooding into the country... if you had to go there then you'd be best off around silver city...

Colorado....no good because you have to many people in the farmable lands and the mountains themselves are not the place to weather out a winter...there's a very good reason the Rocky's are called the American Alps... If this was your choice I'd stay west of the Rocky's and north of Grand Junction.

Wyoming is not as green as you might think... in the southern half not much grows and while hunting is great you might find yourself competing with the folks from Denver who undoubtly will move north... I used to live in Green River and you just cant put into words what a -30 below zero winter day is like, you just have to live through it...the last year I was there it was -30 every day that February. maybe you could make a stand in pinedale? your best chance is setting up somewhere along the green river

Montana is a good choice. but you already have a number of white supremists and other survialist already well established in the region. these people are well armed and have plans for the day Sit-X happens...Mostly in the western part of the state.
personally I would pick Helena but I know the people there, their very clannish in those parts and strangers might not be welcomed if things get bad. just be careful to stay off tribal lands if that's where you go.

Western Idaho and northwestern Utah might make a good choice but once you get south of Vernal your back to the lack of water problem.
AZ NV Calif all no good for pretty much the same reasons, lack of water and too many people large expanses of land are already owned by various Native American tribes...

Like I said I live out here I've lived worked fished and hunted my way all up and down the Rocky's. I know the towns I know the people... you can trust when I say it's not that great of a choice unless your already established out here...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Chuckle, I keep telling wannabes and armchairs to relocate to the SW or Wales in the UK, that way the HD survivalists can keep the best areas for themselves
. If they can not use their own powers of deduction to work out the best place to be then I dont want them around here.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Nice find! I was wondering about this the other day. Luckily I'm number 4. If SHTF I think I will be relatively safe in my little community and if not we're packing up and going deep. Lots of great areas to go in WA.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
lol...

I wouldn't exactly suggest SD either. Western to mid western are reservations and trust me they see you there and start thinking your going to take what land they have left from them, your as good as dead due to the fact they don't follow federal law as they have their own nation and are more than happy to explain it to you. Not to mention the older folks that just yell at ya for stealing the badlands and Mt. Rushmore from them.

What to expect on SD reservations. The cop tried to arrest a co-worker in an accident when we were leaving the site a drunk grandma was driving on the wrong side of the road and coming over a hill smack head on at about 60mpg. Cop said we were in the wrong but what he didn't know is we had a federal agent with us who made a call and we were out of trouble. Funny thing is alcohol is illegal on the reservation, and the cop just sent her driving home drunk out of her mind.

Weather wise it gets cold. Try -20 to -30 nearly all winter long. If you have a car hope you drained the water out of it and replaced it with radiator fluid good up to 60 below 0. Oh and get good gas too much water in gas will cause ice crystals to form on cold days and jam up the fuel line, that happens and your engine stops on the spot and your gonna be pushing it.

Funny thing is those would be the least of you worries in a situation like that and coming to SD.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
IMHO The entire premise of fleeing away from your known social support system is nuts. During the Great Depession in the US, there was plenty of food, just no money. You have to deal with the lazy, stupid leeches that infest our society who don't want to get their hands dirty to produce their food or provide a necessary service to their communities.

Folks in the South will fair as good if not better than anyone else in the country. While there are some pockets of extreme racial prejudice in the South, they are no worse than the hundreds of violent white supremest groups scattered across the Western States especially in the mountains whose first task will be to wage genocide on all their neighbors who don't share their racist views as well as the millions of other non whites who live in those states. Ethnic Cleansing was bitter and dirty in the Balkans and it's going to be 10x as bad in the Western US States because unlike the Balkans, everybody has guns out west.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
Our alternative location in the US ( IE if we are in the US WTSHTF instead of the UK) is the Cimmaron grasslands and foothills of SW KS & SE CO.

Low population, plenty of clean water, loads of wood, goodish hunting, some opencast coal, neither to low nor to high altitude wise, fabulous people who thrive on self reliance.

Yeah, you might want to reconsider that area my friend.

www.renewamerica.us...

Currently, the military (all branches) occupies 483,440 acres in Colorado. [8] Fort Carson, an army post on 137,412 acres of range land located in southeast Colorado, is considered one of the world's premier locations to train and prepare soldiers for battle.

&

Here is a thread on the US Military wanting to grab up more land than is already occupied in that area you were thinking in SE Colorado.
7 million acres in SE Colorado

In my humble opinion, Texas is the best place to be. Yeah it's hot here at times but at least you do not have to worry about building a fire to keep warm or for cooking. You just have to throw your rattlesnake on concrete and it will cook in about an hour.

Now for a serious sidenote. Texas is wide and open. Lots of valuable resources here for survival. Big plus is next to Mexico. If the SHTF too much here in US, one could always make a bee-line further South like South America if you wanted to. Hundreds of illegal immagrants cross into Texas every week. We could cross into Mexico just the same.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yes, Colorado is within the NWO headquarters. Does that make it less safe? You can get lost in these mountains and successfully get off the grid, yes there will be lots of military and elites here hiding undergound. They picked Colorado for a reason.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
NO!

Don't come here! It's terrible, stay away!

Everyone has guns and will shoot you on sight!

Just stay where you are.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
An update about western states and California.

It appears, as far as natural disasters go, heat is the biggest killer and many of the states recommended in the list are death traps.

Ironically, Calif. is comparitively safe!

Idaho is looking better and better.

article

[edit on 18-12-2008 by venividivici]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm kinda partial to my area in the Bitterroot mountains in north Idaho. It has everything i need, and the valley i live in can be easily defended. I extend my offer of santuary again to anyone interested in surviving.
I definately wouldn't go to Washington, to many Ukranians. My brother lives in Moses Lake in central Washington and says they now outnumber the migrant Mexicans.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join