It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pages take so long to load

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Is there a way to view the site in a less unwieldy format? I don't see any options, but maybe I missed them. It's just I don't check threads on which I've previously posted because I don't want to take forever loading all 30 pages or whatever that it's become by the time I check it again! (I know that's a run-on sentence, but you get the picture.)

I want to be able to see if people reply to my posts so I can give the courtesy of replying back to them.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
How fast is your connection? ATS has no problems loading for me. If you are having difficulty, I would suggest using the low bandwidth mode that ATS has in it's ATS Store.

ATS Store

It is the last one down and costs 50 points. Click the lowband button and it will enable the mode and deduct 50 points from your account. See if that helps?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wintermarches

I want to be able to see if people reply to my posts so I can give the courtesy of replying back to them.

Good point. Which brings up the previously asked for extra function that seems to be being denied. That if we was to get a U2U each time somebody clicks the reply button to our posts, then we would never miss a reply, and it would save our time scanning through 30 pages in the slight chance of finding someone who replied to our post. That itself may make people use the reply function, (as some still dont) we would still miss those ones who just write our name in a response, but that would be their problem for not using the correct procedure - reply

I think it would be brilliant but some people dont think so, they scream 'bandwidth' and 'server strain' etc.. fair enough to those people, but I bet if there was no concern about bandwidth they too would love the feature.

I understand that will cause major server strain sending all those U2U's. But I believe it would make ATS a much better place if they can find a way to do it. And they could even make it so that we have the option to choose the auto U2U or not. As Im sure some people wont need it.

Surely if there are many people on one thread scanning for their possible replies so as not to miss anyone -- that in itself is causing strain? but they would not be there scanning for their replies if they had an auto U2U feature

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Just go to, myATS and look to the right and there is a list of the threads that you have posted on and the name of the last to post there. I just check there periodically. It works for me.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Go to your profile and see the single posts.
I know you can't do what you want but perhaps
with a little luck you will find out a method and tell us.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies.

Shugo: That's a great idea and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Although, I'm not on dialup - I'm on DSL, but I will love the low-bandwidth option if I need it. I always think low-bandwidth options are great. Who really needs all the fluff, anyway? On top of that, when the ISP's start charging us tariffs by bandwidth, we're gonna need all the cutting corners we can get.

Anyhow, the problem, I think, is that my computer is old and running an old OS. So, this morning I tested disabling Javascript in Firefox. Voila! Pages load very fast! I'm so tickled that I can quickly open pages in new tabs and scan new stories quickly. That way I can then move on to old posts, and even if I have to search it's not a huge burden. It was that World of Warcraft advertisement lagging me down, I think.

Observer_X: I don't agree with the U2U idea for every time there is a reply to our post. Honestly, I"m not sure why but I prefer how phpBB runs it - they send you an email every time you get a reply to your post. I'm pretty sure you can opt in or out of this option, though (I could check that later). Sometimes, it gets annoying to see like 8 emails from the same board, but I just go through and delete them en masse. Maybe it's true that U2U's would be a server burden, but spreading out the burden to everyone's emails could be a little more viable, perhaps.

hypervigilant and TeslaandLyne: I'm aware that I have a list of threads to which I've subscribed, in myATS. I didn't know there was an automatic list. I will check this later, as I haven't read all the welcome materials via the links in my Introduction thread (because the pages took so long to load!). Now that I can make my way around here in reasonable time, I can read all those.
However, even if there is a list of the threads in which I've posted, that doesn't fix the problem of having to scroll through so many pages to see when someone did actually reply to my post.

All of you with fast computers (combined with fast connections, of which I have one more or less) will probably not have the problem I had. My solution of turning off Javascript may prove to be an annoyance when I can't view important things on other sites. Hmmm, that may explain why an external video I tried to view just now from an ATS link didn't work. It also means post formatting (I did it manually) and smileys don't work. I will keep thinking on a solution, but for now the best idea I think is the low-bandwidth version one. *thumbs up* [that's my low-fi version of the icon since smileys don't work until I turn JS back on!]

-winter

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well, I'm about to spend my 50 points (out of a whole 64!) on low-bandwidth mode. I don't think we should have to pay points for it, but I will gladly pay to make the site usable for me. Better to have the option than to not. I just worry what will new users do who can hardly navigate the site before they have racked up 64 points. Random posting without replying to replies? That may not seem a realistic scenario, but when the companies start tariffing bandwidth I imagine it may become relevant.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by wintermarches]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wintermarches

Hey there...I find the website to run more smoothly if I have nothing else running, I usually have Itunes and Vuze running and that really slows me down so you may want to do a little tweaking...

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B

This is also the case for me. Right now I have iTunes playing Russian music videos and Rosetta Stone open and the text box can't keep up with my typing. This happens a lot when iTunes or any other program is open but for me the problem only extends to the text box and the ad play rate.

top topics

join