It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism 'blocking British Obama'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
While I generally agree with the consensus, my heart breaks for the victims of unrepentant and ignored racism.

In particular, I recall the sense of discomfort I feel when I hear of acts of racist or prejudiced behavior towards those of African descent, and I recall, as a Hispanic, that I am no stranger to such behavior. Yet I am not well received among those who have been discriminated against, or wronged, because I am not 'black'. Many still claim the injuries of their 'slave' ancestors without any concern for the slavery that still exists to this day. I would have expected no greater champions in the cause of destroying the global slave trade than the African American community, yet, somehow this is not evident.

Similarly, I see Jewish people continually invoking their tragic past, as if 'no one could know' they persecution and pain some of their ancestors suffered; almost offhandedly discounting the millions of others who lost their lives during the ordeal. Almost as if it would diminish their sense of entitlement by dilution And then there's no mention of the brutality and prejudice of their own leaders in dealing with their neighbors.

Yet we continue to decimate Aboriginal people's around the globe, we insist our right to judge other cultures by our 'civilized' values. We refuse as a state to acknowledge our complicity in genocides for which we have never made amends. These issues of prejudice and inequity in 'public' life is just a projection of our leaderships point of view.

I am sorry that this race matter has infected the world. It is so phobic and wrong-minded to consider that ones skin tone is a basis for anything, I can't see how this illness can have ever started outside of organized religion. And yet, if you pay attention to the criminal genocide of Aboriginal peoples in Canada, you can see the church is 'no saint' or force for humane and positive change. It is depressing.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad

Originally posted by MacDonagh
How about getting one of those Catholics in power?

Oh wait, that's impossible because the Protestants will never allow a Catholic presiding in power.
tony blair the last prime minister was a catholic.. so your post was pointless.....

His conversion actually came after he left office. Previous to that, he'd been 'officially' affiliated with the Anglican church.

It turns out he was someone else that was talking to God over Iraq.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
The reason there is no 'British Obama' is quite simple and nothing to do with inherent racism.
There is simply no-one of a similar ability in the public or political domain here in Britain and there are more qualified non-blacks.

Lookie here! Freeborn is stating that the UK does not have blacks qualified to reach their full potential. I have come across this kind of delusional bigotry in the UK, up close and personal.

At university, I used to write essays for others for a bit of cash for rent. On more than several occasions, the essays I wrote for my classmates would get grade 'A's while I struggled to achieve a 'B's.

Work life is no different. I am normally involved is preparing complex contracts and specifications for prestige projects only to find that once the works are initiated, the management is handed over to faces that fit in better. All these experiences were not in one class or one employer but across the board.

The UK is not like the US. In the UK, very competent people from the establishment are isolated from the hoi polloi and the issue diktats from great heights. This has always been the case and will always be so.

While this kind of social pyramid is efficient in exploiting the lower classes a hundred years ago, it is backwards in the high tech 21st century. In America talent and a willingness to compromises your ethics gets you to the top; in the UK class and race defines success. Sure a working class individual may achieve some success selling goods and services to other working class people, but he will remain an outsider to the establishment and taxed to hell for his troubles.

In the meantime ethnic minorities and blacks are stuck in the heaving mass of the scratching and biting lower classes. A British Obama; no chance.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm sorry to say that I agree with the statement, the people of the uk are very rascist. Racsim is universal and always has been but here in the UK its rampant. We hide behind a mask of civility to none whites but behind our own front doors none whites are hated big time. And lets face it we did not get the Worlds greatest Empire because we liked people, most brits see themselves as superior to others even none white British have this attitude.

Just slightly off topic but it may be relevant, was the case with Diana, do you think she would of been allowed to marry a Muslim and if they had a child you would have had a connection to the monarchy.

Back on topic it simple would not be allowed to happen unless the perps wanted it to be so.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The UK is just one of the many very racist countries in the world. South Korea, Italy, Russia, China, Japan, Mongolia, Taiwan, Poland, Norway and Turkey have not had a black president yet. Racists!!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ah Trevor Phillips - the same "Race Chief" that declared Britai ns' most popular television programmes "too white"?

Question: Why does Britain need "it's own version of Obama"?

In fact, I'm going to ask an even greater question for all members of ATS:
Why are European, or heavily-European populated, nations being asked to "find their own version of Obama"?.

Come on now:
Where are the calls for a "black Dalai Lama"? Why isn't India gloating
over the "number of non-Indian members of the Indian Parliament possibly doubling next election?? What famous South American literary figures are to be rewritten as "Middle Easterners"? Why don't Asians see a "long wait for an Asian Obama"?

Is it because us wascally whites are so wacist that we need to conciously prove that we're not members of the KKK?

Or is it just that "diversity", "multiculturalism" etc are only aimed at white nations? Do the Japanese see Christian law as "cultural enrichment"? Maybe Haitians need more white teachers, to "prepare Haitians for a diverse society"? Which 30 Peruvian towns will have "native Peruvians as a minority in the next 30 years"? Did you hear about "Egpyt's 'all Asian' issue of Vogue"?

To illustrate this double-standard, I ask all ATSers to remind me when was the last time they heard that European immigrants, food, customs etc were "diverse", "multicultural", "something less boring than boiled potatoes and water"?

The only thing to complete this double-standard the world is blind to, would be the Obomination issuing an "Anti-Racist Tax" that all European-Americans need to pay so they are not declared as "racist", and stripped of all privileges of being American citizens.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chaoticar

I don't rate ol'Trevor very much and consider him nothing more than self serving and an opportunist that has a habit of sticking his boot into his mouth.

Regarding the rest of your comment; I think you have forgotten one major element. The ethnic minorities and blacks in the UK are a product of Britain's imperial history. People didn't just turn up on British shore out of thin air but as a consequence of the trifling in other people's lands.

For a time, even those foreign lands were considered Great Britain. You don't suppose Britain is great because it has done something great, do you? It's called Great Britain as in 'big' Britain and as in two thirds of the world map was coloured pink.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
The reason there is no 'British Obama' is quite simple and nothing to do with inherent racism.
There is simply no-one of a similar ability in the public or political domain here in Britain and there are more qualified non-blacks.

Heck, B.O. wasn't really qualified and look how far he got.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
Sorry but this thing called Racism I don't buy it. It doesn't exist .. if it existed the word it self is racist itself..

No, no. Please don't hand me that nonsense. Since I have a significant other who happens to be a minority, I've been able to witness it first hand. I had sounded similar to yourself, not out of hate, but out of ignorance until lines of communication were open between myself and others who are "different". If we interact on a personal level, such lies about racism not existing just don't hold up. Many things that are easy for me are made much more difficult for my partner on account of bigotry alone.

A white friend of mine who was married to a black woman used to tell me many disturbing stories. I didn't believe him. I thought he had to be full of it. Now I know better and that he was right.

[edit on 11/8/2008 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Nonsense,there isnt a black PM because there are no viable candidates.Plus obama? why the hell would we want someone like obama running our country? Anyway the conservatives will be in power soon...God help us all....

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
Regarding the rest of your comment; I think you have forgotten one major element. The ethnic minorities and blacks in the UK are a product of Britain's imperial history. People didn't just turn up on British shore out of thin air but as a consequence of the trifling in other people's lands.

Well, why should an "ethnic minority" person be advantaged simply because he/she is an "ethnic minority"?
Also, the perception in the '60s on "non-white immigration to Europe" occurred under the - eventually false - belief that the guest workers would get rich and go home:
Problem was, most would rather work crap jobs in Europe than be middle class in Jamaica, etc.

For a time, even those foreign lands were considered Great Britain.

No, you're confusing the British Empire with Great Britain:
Saying that Jamaica, New Zealand, Kenya etc were considered "Great Britain" is as silly as saying that Armorica, Britannia and Iberia were considered "Rome".

You don't suppose Britain is great because it has done something great, do you?

Wrong again - the term "Great Britain" came around after the Acts of Union (1707), which merged the Kingdom of England with the Kingdom of Scotland, as the new country now encompassed the entire length of the British Isles - aka "Britannia".

It's called Great Britain as in 'big' Britain and as in two thirds of the world map was coloured pink.

It was more like a quarter, actually

The point still remains though.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad

Originally posted by MacDonagh
How about getting one of those Catholics in power?

Oh wait, that's impossible because the Protestants will never allow a Catholic presiding in power.
tony blair the last prime minister was a catholic.. so your post was pointless.....

No, it was disclosed that Blair converted to Roman Catholicism round about December 2007 during his tenure as Prime Minister was coming to an end, meaning if he was a Roman Catholic during his political career, he hid it very well and made no effort to change the anti-Catholic Act of Settlement of 1701. Just because I call myself a Jedi, doesn't make me a Jedi. Get it?

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

The USA has not had a female president - the UK had Maggie Thatcher over 25 years ago - so the USA are ...............?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join