It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese hack into White House network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Chinese hack into White House network

www.ft.com

Published: November 6 2008 19:13 | Last updated: November 7 2008 00:24

Chinese hackers have penetrated the White House computer network on multiple occasions, and obtained e-mails between government officials, a senior US official told the Financial Times.

On each occasion, the cyber attackers accessed the White House computer system for brief periods, allowing them enough time to steal information before US computer experts patched the system.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
First the World Bank, then the McCain/Obama campaign computers, now this, what's next......???

There are reports out there that the Chinese have back doors into many many computer networks around the world because so many mother boards come out of China !!!

Tom Clancy was right, we need a "net force" capable of tracking down these cyber criminals. Homeland security is a joke.

www.ft.com

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Oh don't worry, it's not like we have anything to hide...

Honestly, I doubt that truly important and vital info is sent through email, web security or not. This isn't so different from the cold war in the sense that superpowers are invading the privacy of other superpowers. I'm sure that we do the same to China, India, Russia, etc. Nothing is ultimately secure. There is always a way around. Always. And most of the time someone is going to find it.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Why are we all surprised? China makes all these chips.. they plan ahead. The US does not. That's it.. boom. It's Spy vs. the maker of said Spy.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici

Tom Clancy was right, we need a "net force" capable of tracking down these cyber criminals. Homeland security is a joke.

www.ft.com

You're obviously a government plant who has come here to get people to join your "net force"/"internet censorship" brigade.

Soon we'll have some type of Internet customs that scrutinizes our network packets, records them, and keeps them on file in a massive governmental database for 70 years.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Maybe the American government is behind these attacks and are doing it as justification for a future net filter which will 'help' them stop these attacks...? But in reality they will be taking control of your virtual lives

grr beaten to the cheese

[edit on 8-11-2008 by purplemonkey]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Lol just say this is real? What do you think will happen if the US ever goes to war with Russia or China? Say bye bye sat link, bye bye electronic communication and most importantly, bye bye civilian support infastructure, no electricity, gas, water, all because China shuts down your computers controlling these essential supplies!

But it is more than likely a false flag operation designed to make people accept the planned net censorship.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MetatronCubensis

So what many of you are saying is that you believe there is actually a security hole through the actual hardware? I find this unlikely, I believe it to be a software based security issue esp. if there using Windows based systems.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
reply to post by MetatronCubensis

So what many of you are saying is that you believe there is actually a security hole through the actual hardware? I find this unlikely, I believe it to be a software based security issue esp. if there using Windows based systems.

Not really, it could be as much hardware as software, maybe the onboard ethernet has a backdoor access only the manufacturer would know? Things like that could make it able to hack event he most secured linux os.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Here's the latest on this issue:

The government has admitted that Chinese hackers have gained intermittent access to the White House computer network in recent months, but that the loophole has now been sealed.

The White House made the embarrassing admission after the Financial Times broke the story that hackers were able to gain unauthorised access for very short periods, before the security loopholes were closed by the network's security software.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that the White House has now closed down the attack vectors used by the Chinese hackers, who are rumored to have been sponsored by the Chinese government.

The incident raises the curtain ever-so-slightly on what advanced technologies the government uses at its highest level to protect the nation's computer systems.

The implication is that the White House has a self-healing security loophole detection system that uses neural networking to achieve the highest levels of response time, as well as sealing the IT system from a second hack using the same technique.

infosecurity

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Heck, Palin prefers yahoo email for her intra-government work related emails.. IIRC, the guy who hacked into her account got access via the "Forgot your password?" thing.. Her hint was supposedly something that was easily found on her official website. Good going.

Anyway, on topic. You would think the White House would have pretty high grade encryption, or even those little fingerprint password thingys for their email.. Or maybe I'm being Naive... Yep.. I'm being Naive most likely.

Though I doubt they could read anything extra sensitive.
A sampling of some of the potential email subjects:

ATTN: W found the pretzels!
Fwd: I can't wait to get out of here!
Re: oops did I send this out to the whole list? Fwd: I can't wait to get out of here!
Re: Barney bit someone again
Re: Vice, do I get to keep the purrty bathrobe with the presidential seal?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests
Oh don't worry, it's not like we have anything to hide...

Honestly, I doubt that truly important and vital info is sent through email, web security or not. This isn't so different from the cold war in the sense that superpowers are invading the privacy of other superpowers. I'm sure that we do the same to China, India, Russia, etc. Nothing is ultimately secure. There is always a way around. Always. And most of the time someone is going to find it.

LOL!

So I used to be part of C2P. Command and Control Protection. We were an internet based security force. (Note, we were protect.. not attack).

There are TONS of sensitive information on federal computer networks. You are probably also unaware that there is an underground war going on between American and Chinese hackers.

Anyway.. back to your regularly scheduled program...

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I suspect the information revealed in this thread may have provided the means for the network intrusion:
FBI Fears Chinese Hackers and/or Government Agents Have Back Door Into US Government & Military Computer Networks

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by justme2

If there going to use this to create fear and force us to accept there net censorship.... We are doomed..right?

If China really is setting up a gun with some powerful ammo like a whitehouse network backdoor, We are doomed, right?

But come on boys and girls.... Anyone who does not know in there own hearts and minds that the USA gov is not ALREADY MONITORING ALL EMAILS AND OTHER SUCH XFERS OF DATA.... Well, then you are not just doomed like the rest of us, but of a "slow" mind as well.

Anonymous. We are everyone, and we are no one.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Do you think chinese/american governments are already using quantum computers in some secret secret hacking place....you could hack and crack anything with one of them compared to crappy transistors.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Well in that case we needn't worry about anything really sensitive getting out, cos if the US had quantum computing then you could be sure all the jucy stuff is held in them.

new topics

top topics

join