It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think Seals & Crofts were actually Lennon & McCartney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm sure I'm gonna get debunked in a most brutal fashion. But I am convinced for some reason. I'm not going to bore you with them here, but I can think of ridiculous but plausible (and oh so conspirital) explanations for all the points I've heard from debunkers (elsewhere).

So what do you think? A couple fake noses and no way is that facial hair real... and viola!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by verbal kint

Whew! Good to know that Paul is alive after all, just switched bands! All these years I thought he'd gotten smushed in a crosswalk!

But I say no. It doesn't sound like either of them singing, nor does it sound like their musical style.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well I can't see any resemblance but hey if it makes you happy thinking that then where's the harm?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacecowgirl
Well I can't see any resemblance but hey if it makes you happy thinking that then where's the harm?

SEE! Now that's a good attitude! and spacecowgirl, I appreciate it. thanks.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
No, I saw Seals and Croft in concert in 1973. Still enjoy Summer Breeze.

I am probably the only American of that era that hates all the beatles. I would never listen to them, nor willingly buy any of their music.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Oh yeah, and I always thought that Steve Kilbey of The Church was a dead ringer for Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues:

And of course Viggo Mortensen

and John Paul Jones

are the same guy too.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
OK...the one dude does kinda look like Paul McCartney. But I have a hard time picturing Lennon and McCartney writing "Summer Breeze." It really wasn't their style.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

That's where I disagree. First of all, L&M's voices are kinda recognizable so, to pull it off, you going to have to manipulate their voices. Now, think about the nasal tone of Seals - if you took much of the bottom out of lennon's voice and a few random frequencies here an there... that nasal, practical tone is there. Now, "Blowin in the Jasmine in my miiiiiiiind." Straight out of the McCartney harmony book. Think about McCartney's pension for high contrast between sections and employing a-tonal instrumental harmonies as introduction parts, and 'normalizing' somewhat odd melodies - pretty good description of Summer breeze i'd say. And lastly the 'soaring' guitar melody at the end of each chorus is straight out of Wings. As are the mood elevations and depressions through out the song - though those are more late beatles McCartney input.

[edit on 11/7/2008 by verbal kint]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Nah I think he is right... it is not in keeping with the L&M to be that based around a single riff, IMO.... and summer breeze is a very structured song, really not like a lot of stuff.

And it does not seem to include any minor chords, which always seemed to be hallmark L&M to me.

If anything it sounds like CSNY.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'm not saying you're right, and I have to admit I know next to nothing about any of them, but just doing some google searches for pictures I can see the resemblance. The facial shape, cheekbones, shape of the eyes, thickness of the lips...I can see it.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Cheesecake

Oh wow

This walrus hole only gets deeper and deeper...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Nah I think he is right... it is not in keeping with the L&M to be that based around a single riff, IMO.... and summer breeze is a very structured song, really not like a lot of stuff.
And it does not seem to include any minor chords, which always seemed to be hallmark L&M to me.

I couldn't disagree more. Consistent, repeating melodies and extensive structure virtually defined McCartney all through the 70's. And the primary melody of the song is minor? so I don't really see where you're coming from?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Cheesecake

Whoa! nice example. Thanks... way cool...

I just listened to summer breeze. If those aren't McCartney lyrics then I... i... I nothing. But they sure are characteristic of McCartney. Also, I think they played slower and in a slightly lower key and then sped up the tape to really get the voices sounding different. Listen, it all fits....

[edit on 11/8/2008 by verbal kint]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

It's hard for me to put into words because I really don't know much about music terms.

I'm searching through some Youtube links to try to give examples of what I mean.

By "structured" songs I mean ones which take a repeating format--classic blues format--or are structued around a central riff. Think "Iron Man" or "Smoke on the Water" Summer Breeze is not to that extreme but the opening riff repeats thorugh the song, so I call it Structured.

What I think of when I think LM, or Wings, is rather avant-guard songs where the key, the pace, or the tone changes so dramatically though the song that you could listen to it at different parts and think it was 2 or more different songs.

I think Sgt. Pepper's, Lucy in the Sky, Band on the Run, and Strawberry Fields.

And Summer BReeze does not sound like that to me. It sounds closer to the style of CSNY that LM to me.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

It's hard for me to put into words because I really don't know much about music terms.

i feel your pain. I try to discuss advanced mathematics with no math background to speak of - i'm listening closely...

I'm searching through some Youtube links to try to give examples of what I mean.
By "structured" songs I mean ones which take a repeating format--classic blues format--or are structued around a central riff. Think "Iron Man" or "Smoke on the Water" Summer Breeze is not to that extreme but the opening riff repeats thorugh the song, so I call it Structured.

I totally see your point. In this case, LM have just ended the beatles. if they were to do something like this, they don't have their beatle reputation behind them so they would have to bring back some of the pop elements from early beatles in order to reach a significant audience. Hence the intro riff being returned to throughout the song.
What I think of when I think LM, or Wings, is rather avant-guard songs where the key, the pace, or the tone changes so dramatically though the song that you could listen to it at different parts and think it was 2 or more different songs.
I think Sgt. Pepper's, Lucy in the Sky, Band on the Run, and Strawberry Fields.
And Summer BReeze does not sound like that to me. It sounds closer to the style of CSNY that LM to me.
Recall too about the period - late beatles they stretching a bit out of boredom and resisting the continuous tide of 'pidgeon holing' the public provides for any famous artist. Suddenly they're not the beatles so they can mellow out a little. From there, the unusual melodies and pop backing harmonies and mildly abrupt changes (to become more drastic for Mc down the road...) i think all are very consistent with the transitional period this would have occurred in.

The more I think about it, with some eq, Lennon would totally sound like Seals. Think about the vocal accent and inflections. (if that's meaningless to you, just fake it, you'll start to see what i mean). That sort of mid to high, scratchy tone is an uncommon characteristic of Lennon's voice that is prominent in Seals' as well.

Yes, i see what youre talking about. I think the CSNY likeness is the acoustic feel/sound of the music in spite of not being very acoustic in reality. CSNY often achieves a similar effect. Or I'm just blathering hot air?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I guess we'll have to try to do some research and see if S&C's appearences and events in L&M's respective lives don't contredict each other.

I have some serious doubts about how they would pull it off, but I'm interested at least.

top topics

join