It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble has a major extra solar finding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Scientists researcing the hubbles images of nearby star systems have made a significant discovery and it will be announced in a media conference on november 14.

www.nasa.gov...

I wonder what the significant discovery is maybe life has been detected? who knows
we have to wait till november fourteen for that.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Perhaps they found a planet around a yellow star located in the "sweet" spot.The sweet spot being just the right distance from the star so the planet is not too hot or not too cold.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tricky63

Yes, if it is in the sweet spot or the goldilocks zone, there is a possibility of life existing, and in the end we have evidence that life exists in other stars systems, thats great huh

[edit on 7/11/08 by peacejet]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
their big news on the 14th will be " theres a fly on the hubble lense thats blocking our view of datyona beach on spring break"

think about it, when was thelast time nasa made a "big" announcement that was anything other than, "today, we found another lifeless star system that at one timecouldhave supported life"

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dytch
their big news on the 14th will be " theres a fly on the hubble lense thats blocking our view of datyona beach on spring break"

lol, thats a great one, but since it is about a planetary system, keeping fingers crossed for the findings.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Now here's a plan, read this:

Reporters attending the event will have an opportunity to ask questions. News media representatives not attending will be able to ask questions via teleconference. To participate in the teleconference, reporters must email a request for dial-in information that includes their media affiliation and telephone number to J.D. Harrington at [email protected] by 1 p.m. EST, Nov. 13.

We need to get reporter status for someone on ATS. They can call in and ask the pertinent questions, rather than the puff ball questions the MSM will be asking.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
or something lame like, there are volcanoes on mars, which we already know. Just like they finally admitted water on mars...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Wont the findings be reported in the website after the news conference and wont the media report it in the newspapers and in television.

I thought that it would be made available on the web.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The thing that always gets me is how common belief says that life will be found under the same circumstances as here on Earth. I believe this couldn't be farther from the truth- look at all the odd lifeforms discovered in unlikely places. As example, the underwater volcanic vents in deep oceans...
And, life where it exists may not be comparabe to a human scale- think of the "galaxy on Orion's belt" in Men In Black. Just because your average human is somewhere over 5' tall doesn't mean that a teeming alien race can't exist at the micron level.

Just my two cents on this Friday night...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

The findings are not from within the solar sytem it is with regards to the other planetary star systems.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by md11forever

I accept your opinion, I have read in the newspaper a few weeks back that scientists were looking in the wrong part of the galaxy for life and that the stars which could have its planets support life had migrated outward in to the arms of the milky way.

And regarding whether we can find life in remote unthinkable regions, well we dont know the conditions of the planets in other star systems, we are able to determine them only if the planet passes the star and the star blinks and the light is passed through the spectometer and analysed for absorption lines determining the composition of the atmosphere, we dont know the ground conditions, so we are using the general reference of earth life.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I hate these press releases that say they are going to announce something BIG.

If you have something to say say it for goodness sake.

It's like people who start a thread on the UFO footage they just captured and then say they will be back the next day to post it.

Tell us already!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
So this is the Hubble telescope that made this discovery, the same piece of scientific equipment that NASA were thinking wasn't worth fixing?

Maybe discoveries like this will lead them to do real science instead of building useless white elephants like the International Space Station.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
reply to post by md11forever

we dont know the ground conditions, so we are using the general reference of earth life.

Correct. My point is that by expending all the energy to look for the familiar, the unexpected or unfamiliar could be overlooked.
Plenty of surprises out there waiting to be found when the time is right.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well I'll tell you, since you mention the ISS, personally if NASA decides to do any thing with Hubble, they should attach it to the ISS. I've spoke this opinion before, and it still stands. Hubble is the oldest and most reliable peice of equipment NASA still has in service, as far as I know.

It is a great device which has discovered far more than we could have imagined, and it is still performing it's job as it did day one of it's service. To discard such a historical piece of our nations history would be blasphemy in my mind and it should be preserved. The Hubble is an amazing scope and it is a NASA legend worth it's weight in gold.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
the first step to disclosure, would be find a planet with life ... maybe intelligent ... thats for sure .... I think the public would take better, than they just say that there are aliens among us hahaha

lets hope for something about it

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
So this is the Hubble telescope that made this discovery, the same piece of scientific equipment that NASA were thinking wasn't worth fixing?

Maybe discoveries like this will lead them to do real science instead of building useless white elephants like the International Space Station.

Amazing isn't it? Just a few months ago, NASA announced that they needed to immediately launch a shuttle mission to repair Hubble. Then they said they wouldn't ask for an immediate launch because there was an additional malfunction on the telescope that they needed to study in order to be sure they could repair both problems at the same time. Now it's mysteriously working just great and finding new extra solar planets! Wow.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I don't know what Hubble found, but my guess would be another Earth size planet like some of have said.

BTW, what does Hubble have in common with Bo Derek?

The first member that figures that out will get an applause.

Advisors are not eligible.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Heres a little help.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Well I'll tell you, since you mention the ISS, personally if NASA decides to do any thing with Hubble, they should attach it to the ISS.

What you have said is next to impossible because they both are in different orbits and altitudes and inclination, and if the iss were to inclined to the hubble from the current 51.6 degrees to 23 degrees each degree change will consume tonnes of fuel which is not available in space and also difficult to transport.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join