It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experiences with Obama Hatred

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Experiences with Obama Hatred

www.nytimes.com

Barack Hussein Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States on Tuesday, sweeping away the last racial barrier in American politics with ease as the country chose him as its first black chief executive.

Obama is quite comfortable playing the race card.

Religious Ties: Is Obama a Muslim? Is he a Christian? Nobody is 100% sure, but it is true that Obama was raised in a Muslim family and at one time attended an Islamic school. He currently claims to be a convert to Christianity, but some are concerned about his Muslim upbringing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.who-sucks.com

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
"We the People" recently have broken down one of the few remaining racial boundaries by elected the first African American President in the history of the United States. History was made. Personally, watching Obama speak at Grant Park, I was proud to be American. However, most pride that had nestled itself inside me, would disappear as soon it had arrived. I would like to say that I am not one of the Obaaaama sheeple, but I did vote for him. And this thread is not a debate about why/why not he may be liked or disliked. This thread is my personal experiences with hatred towards Obama, and why it has made me sick.

The day after we witnessed history, I went right back to school, and was greeted by ignorance.

I walked into school, and all I heard were things like, "I'm happy Obama won" or "McCain should've won". This is when it all began.

There was soon numerous comments about being afraid that Obama is President. Really, in all honesty, if you spent the last 8 years being content, you're simply ignorant. Do people really think that he is the reincarnation of Satan? (Or Jesus on the otherhand, quite sickening to see people who think he's going to fix everything)

I heard many people also talking about how if Obama is killed before inauguration, Presidency goes to McCain (not sure on validity of that statement). People were talking about how it could happen and everything. While racism has festered in the small minds of our society. A black man will be the next President. Get over your personal prejudices.

This, bothers me the most. I also heard many people say things like, "Oh well he's a Muslim." Number one, he, from what I understand, is a Christian. Secondly, if America is suppose to be this big melting pot of culture, and if our country is suppose to have freedom of religion, why is this a concern? Are people really that rejective to the idea of having a President that isn't a white Christian male?

At the end of the day, Obama was elected, and while you can make any argument you want, he was elected. I don't think he will be able to fix everything. He'll be lucky if he gets halfway there, but we need to at least get over our close-minded beliefs and prejudices and do our parts. We will get nowhere sitting and sulking like children who didn't get a new toy. Let us live by the words of the late JFK. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I agree with you , and Iive had similar experiences in school ranging from people getting angry and calling him a muslim or idiots saying they wished he would just get shot.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by prestonposthuma

I agree, history was made when Obama was elected. I personally did not vote for or support him, but I do recognize that his election was a historic moment and for the sake of our country I hope he lives up to all the hype. He made some pretty promises, but only time will show if he actually does change things or if it's just more of the same. Personally, I think it's outstanding that our country has gotten far enough past the racial divide that Obama's race wasn't a large enough factor to prevent him from being elected. Even those of us who didn't vote for him should at least be able to recognize that, for that in itself is an achievement for our country and our society.

I haven't personally heard anyone making the comments you describe, but I believe that there are many people out there who have made those and similar ones. Regardless of whether you supported the guy or not, threatening his life is just wrong. Making racist comments about him is wrong. He is still a human being regardless of whether one agrees with the policies he has been touting for over a year and a half now.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
To the OP, I'll try to offer my opinion on some of your points.

The issue of him being an "African American" is a misnomer. He is only half black. People, including he, tend to forget or ignore this for convenience. His girls are more "African American" than he is. His mother was white. He is considered "black" because the old Jim Crow laws, if still practiced, would have labeled him black. They were written by a racist congress, and local governments to discriminate against ex-slaves. They even considered a person with 1/16 African blood to be black. So....yes he is an "African American" if one uses the old Jim Crow laws as the criteria by which to determine a person's race. My question to you is this: would you or anyone else still consider him an "African American" if he was born with blond hair and blue eyes? A fair question considering his parentage.

The Muslim issue....The Muslims have no greater loyalty than Allah, the Koran and Muhammad. There is no room for compromise or tolerance of other beliefs......at least to my simple understanding of it. This loyalty is in direct conflict with our Constitution and our ideals. Obama states he is a Christian. To many it is irrelevant, to others it is. I will take him at his word till he proves otherwise.

It bothers me badly that he is considered "The One" or as one German citizen put it after the Berlin speech, his "New Messiah". My mother-in-law actually believes he is the anti-Christ. I don't believe it for numerous reasons, but this whole cult of personality is unsettling none-the-less. He is a man. No more, no less. He is susceptible to any and all human frailties, lusts, prejudices, emotions, etc. just like you and I. He is no savior.

On the issue of race.....it was not the reason I voted for McCain. I have no issue with a black person being president. I would vote for Colin Powell or Condi Rice in a heart beat. Boy wouldn't the later have been a conundrum for the Democrats? I do however wonder about the issue to this extent, much was made in the media of some whites not voting for him because he is "black". I wonder how many blacks voted FOR him only for the very same reason. Oh yea.. I forgot...only us white folks can be racist

On the assassination issue. I pray to God every day that it does not happen.

I did not vote for Obama. I do however want him to be good for this nation and to be a good president. Who knows.....if he does well I may vote for him in 2012.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Agreed completely. I'm getting really sick of people who think this guy will fix everything.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm a member on a local message board that is decidedly liberal dominated. I cannot believe the attacks that I have received on there for not supporting Obama.

There is one moderator who is a heavy set white gal who looks for racism under every rock. To her everything is about racism. She even bans people and locks threads when she if offended by their comments. Recently, ten threads were locked and one poster banned. Needless to say, someone created quite a stink about it and the threads were unlocked and the poster reinstated by the board owner. I stop in the tonight to find the threads locked again.

Many of the others attack you if you even suggest anything negative about him. They accuse you of being a fear monger for pointing out flaws in his policies. This is supposed to be from the Free Speech party. Some of us really try to debate the issues and our differences and disagreements in the policy but it always turns to us being racist or fear mongers.

I'm glad that America elected a Black man as President. I think it's great. I just wish it would have been someone who is not so liberal. I guess we will soon see how he governs. I really hope he moves to the center.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Possum Roadkill

Thank you!!!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by prestonposthuma

If the President-Elect should die, the Vice President-Elect becomes the new President-Elect.

Upon inauguration the President chooses a new Vice President.
(20th amendment)

Fairly sure if both should die, the normal order of succession will take place.

Meaning that Traveling Nancy (Pelosi) will get her much desired 747.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Possum Roadkill

I think moving to the center is exactly what he's going to do - it's been what he's been doing steadily over the course of his political career.

There's a biographical note that may have some relevance: when he was made President of the Harvard Law Review in 1991 he was enthusiastically supported by both liberals and conservatives, even though he was far more liberal then than he is now. They felt he listened to them and enjoyed debating with them instead of hiding behind an ideological wall.

I don't expect Obama to make a lot of moves on touchy cultural issues.

I expect him to be much more focused on bread and butter issues and practical governance.

He's already made it clear that he will appoint a bipartisan cabinet, which is a good sign.

[edit on 11/8/08 by xmotex]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I must say I agree with you on the point of people playing the race card in a way too. I really only personally saw racism from one direction. However, I have read about people saying that if you don't support Obama you're racist. I think people need to support their candidate because they support them.

I think had the media not hopped on the Obaaama bandwagon, this election would've been completely different. I think McCain would've done fine. (Although now it sounds like there was some tension between he and Palin). Overall though, not to sound too negative, the winner was racism. It came out from both sides and took over part of this election.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hugues de Payens

"Messiah" according to Merriam Webster:

"a professed or accepted leader of some hope or cause."

www.merriam-webster.com...

I think the reason he's looked at such is because of the political climate in the last few decades. Not because he's black, or anything else. People are getting sick of the status quo. I never thought I'd see a person of color in the White House in my lifetime but this is where it has left us all. Will he deliver? I doubt it but I will reserve judgment.

If Dubya and Slick Willie isn't on Obama's Christmas card list, they should be. That's how he got there imo. The presidency is usually the "WASP club".

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Show me one time Obama has called non-supporters a racist. You are projecting things that your own party says, and possibly a few dumb democrats, onto a whole party.

Quit lumping everyone together like we are all the same.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hugues de Payens

The issue of him being an "African American" is a misnomer. He is only half black. People, including he, tend to forget or ignore this for convenience. His girls are more "African American" than he is. His mother was white.

Actually, his being referred to as an "African American" is not a misnomer at all. In fact, it is more appropriate to refer to him as an "African American" than to refer to all black people as "African Americans."

His mother was American, his father was Kenyan. Kenya is in Africa. So...... Ta da!!!! African American.

However, he is only half-black. There is a difference between black and African American, although most people never even think about how stupid it is to refer to all black people as "African American."

If a Jamaican black person or an Aboriginal Australian (to give two examples) relocated to America, they would also be considered an "African American," although in reality they were neither African nor American. So you're right in that the term itself is a misnomer, but it is not a misnomer when applied to Obama. Therein lies the difference.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Let me address this "half-black" garbage:

He is black. If you saw him on the streets you would say he is black. Also, he IS an African American because that's what we call black people now. Some might be Jamaican... fine. They are also African American. Why? Where do you think they came from? The French and British had slaves in the Caribbean also.

So, yes. He's black, just like every other person you've called black who was half white.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I've been surprised by the number of white people who say they do not like Obama simply because he is a black man. I am, in the interest of full disclosure, a white guy. I didn't vote for Obama. I didn't vote for McCain, either.

Quick example: I'm sitting in a class at a university East of the Mississippi when a girl sitting next to me said this: "Black people are just ignorant." Obviously, the girl, who is white, is the ignorant one.

Anyway, just throwing in my two cents. What has surprised me most is the way some whites say they do not like Obama simply because he is black. They don't even bother attacking his proposed policies and such, just the color of his skin. That's a shame.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I did not vote for him, but I am wishing the best for him and for our country.

Most of the people I have heard spouting anti-Obama stuff are just plain afraid of him. Fear is very powerful among those who call themselves conservative.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DellGribble

Yeah, they are all over the place. Don't worry, there are plenty of blacks (and all races) who are just as ignorant and say just as hateful things.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Hugues de Payens

"Messiah" according to Merriam Webster:

"a professed or accepted leader of some hope or cause."

www.merriam-webster.com...

I think the reason he's looked at such is because of the political climate in the last few decades. Not because he's black, or anything else. People are getting sick of the status quo. I never thought I'd see a person of color in the White House in my lifetime but this is where it has left us all. Will he deliver? I doubt it but I will reserve judgment.

If Dubya and Slick Willie isn't on Obama's Christmas card list, they should be. That's how he got there imo. The presidency is usually the "WASP club".

Agreed 100%

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
Most of the people I have heard spouting anti-Obama stuff are just plain afraid of him.

You betchya we are afraid of Obama.
Afraid of what he'll do and afraid of his severe lack of experience.

Obama disarms America

What he has said about disarming America is very frightening.

What he has said about gun ownership is very frightening.

What he has said about tax and spend is frightening.

What he has said about cutbacks on NASA is frightening.

What he has done his life - or more to the point - what he hasn't done in his life and his lack of experience is frightening.

What he has said about 'bitter people clinging to guns and religion' and what he has said about 'typical white people' and what he has said about 'that's how white folks will do you' .. and on and on and on ... is frightening.

His followers are frightening as well. Formerly smart people now go around spouting that if you didn't vote for Obama or if you say anything negative about him then you are just a racist. They took stupid pills. That's frightening as well.

Frightened of Obama being POTUS? You betchya.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join