It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check Out The Obama Sense Of Humor....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Obama says in his first post-election press conference that he's spoken to all the former presidents — Carter, Bush, Clinton, as well as the current Bush — and, looser than he's been in months, dares a joke at the expense of the widow of the most recently deceased.

"I have spoken to all of them who are living," he says. "I didn’t want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any séances," he says.

Original Source Article

What great taste Obama has!

Some of you will probably laugh and think this is funny.

I don't.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Nancy Reagan didn't do seances. She was into astrology.

It was Hillary Clinton who had those 'talks' with First Lady Roosevelt.

Next thing you know, Obama will be calling all the women reporters 'sweetie' ....

ugh.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Did you not the read the VERY NEXT paragraph in the article you linked?

Here...I'll copy-and-paste it for you.

"He was apparently referring to the reports in the 1980s that Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologer while in the White House. Mary Todd Lincoln, however, reportedly held actual séances."

Thanks for trying to stir up trouble, for absolutely nothing.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
He he he

Oh please, dont tell me we are now going to have to go thru this for at least another 4 years.

AT LEAST WHAT HE SAYS IS INTELLIGENT speak. Not VILLAGE IDIOT speak.

Give the world a break, why dont you.

For crying out loud.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The gathered press laughed but apparently didn’t notice that Obama confused Nancy Reagan with former first Lady Hillary Clinton, who did admit to having at least one séance in which she summoned the spirit of Eleanor Roosevelt.
Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologist after President Reagan was shot.

Source: Newsmax

He made a slip, it seems like anything to take this guy down. I didn't laugh, but It also didn't offend me. Looks like another fun four years, hooray..!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Maybe you guys are right. Maybe we should all just leave Obama alone.

Just like you all did for the last 8 years to GWB.

It was distasteful joke, end of story.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
just sounded like a lame attempt at humour to me which fell flat. hardly a big deal though. calling himself a mutt i liked even less but again, no big deal.

i did however like his respectful concern for the reporter that hurt her arm and his wry humour about the next whitehouse dog being of the utmost importance.

he's certainly not the comedian mccain is but at least he tries.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
Did you not the read the VERY NEXT paragraph in the article you linked?

Here...I'll copy-and-paste it for you.

"He was apparently referring to the reports in the 1980s that Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologer while in the White House. Mary Todd Lincoln, however, reportedly held actual séances."

Thanks for trying to stir up trouble, for absolutely nothing.

Yes this is exactly the case, some of you are desperate at the bone-deep, you really should stop humiliating yourself by trying to stir trouble for nothing, in fact that's why people can barely trust conservatives now, because they think they're so smart and manipulative.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

First he takes a shot at and elderly former First Lady. Second he doesn't speak well unless he has his telepromter. Every other word is "um". It drives me crazy. Take off the rose colored hearing aids and actually listen to him for once. He side stepped the tax question. I think we are about to see just how unqualified he was for this position. I hope to God President Bush doesn't agree to a second stimulus check. It will be just more borrowed money. If Obama wants it. let it happen on his watch.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by midwestmama
reply to post by dgtempe

First he takes a shot at and elderly former First Lady. Second he doesn't speak well unless he has his telepromter. Every other word is "um". It drives me crazy. Take off the rose colored hearing aids and actually listen to him for once. He side stepped the tax question. I think we are about to see just how unqualified he was for this position. I hope to God President Bush doesn't agree to a second stimulus check. It will be just more borrowed money. If Obama wants it. let it happen on his watch.

ROSE COLORED HEARING AIDS! HAHAHAHAHA

that's really the funniest thing I've heard so far ,thanks ! I'm going to use that!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I do find that joke offensive and in poor taste. And I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out. If a Republican pesident had said the same joke I would have the same outlook on it.

If you are a President Obama supporter and you find this joke distatseful you should have enough self respect to say so and not feel like you are being a traitor.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
the article goes on to say:

He was responding to a question, from the Chicago Sun-Times' Lynn Sweet, about whether he'd spoken to all of the "living" former presidents.

He was apparently referring to the reports in the 1980s that Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologer while in the White House. Mary Todd Lincoln, however, reportedly held actual séances.

So he mixed up Nancy Reagan/astrology and Mary Todd Lincoln/seances. The reporter formed the question in a way that was a bit funny in itself. Why would he have to specify 'living'? It seems pretty obvious that he couldn't talk to a dead president. That being the case, yeah, he probably couldn't have helped himself by remarking about a former first lady who actually held seances.

That fact is actually funny. I don't necessarily see how it's insulting. Ronald Reagan is dead. Everyone knows it and the only way one could talk to him is by holding a seance, which is laughable.

Geeze, the man has probably on the verge of collapse, as has McCain I'm sure, from the exhaustive campaigning he has done. Give him a break for letting loose a little.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by nunya13]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by midwestmama

Nice try, MOMMA.

I feel a bit sorry for you and your hatred of the man at this early stage.

Like i said, nice try.

This man is PRESIDENTIAL, at last!!!!! a presidential president with brains!
Oh, and btw,?? I'm WHITE. for the record.

Meditate, get religion, get something in your life to give you new hope for a new beginning.

YOU need to vibrate a little higher than you are. You mean to tell me you are judging a man simply with what he said, that was tongue in cheek, not particularly funny, but a non-issue?

If you can do that, then i call foul.

There must be another (reason) why you dislike him?????

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
So he's human.

Just proves he isn't the messiah !

I say crappy things all the time. Sometimes even tasteless. Wow, I am human too.

I am sure though that every person in the world thinks your sense of humor is flawless. I doubt you have ever offended someone. Maybe you should run for office next time, since it's obviously a ATS thread worthy topic.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Geeze, the man has probably on the verge of collapse, as has McCain I'm sure, from the exhaustive campaigning he has done. Give him a break for letting loose a little.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by nunya13]

i thought he looked tired and distracted when he first came in and not his usual vibrant self. possibly the fact he was late could have had something to do with that and he did perk up as the conference progressed.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

I honestly believe it was because his grandmother passed away.

Losing loved ones and becoming a president all in one week would make anyone of us feel a bit weathered.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by midwestmama

You mean to tell me you are judging a man simply with what he said, that was tongue in cheek, not particularly funny, but a non-issue?

judging someone by what they say, is exactly how obama was elected in the first place, so what was your point.

obama has not given me a reason to show him respect, until he does i will keep my perfectly reasonable reasons for not wanting him as pres. elect.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

It was distasteful joke, end of story.

How exactly is it distasteful? If there's anything wrong with what he said, it's that he got his facts mixed up.

How is it distasteful that he said the only way you could talk to a dead president is by holding a seance which is what a first lady did at one time? I mean, is the man not really dead? Should no one ever speak of the fact that he is? Is that insulting in itself?

I'm sorry, but I laughed when I learned that Mary Lincoln held seances? I would laugh if Nancy Reagan did it too.

Here's how I heard it:

I spoke with former presidents. Of course I can't speak to any of the dead presidents. [since the reporter specified 'living' for some reason] To do that I would have to hold a seance, which Nancy Reagan did.

Oh the audacity!!!

If anything he was taking a shot at the reporter for asking the question in a seemingly ridiculous way.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It is amazing to me that so many of you agre that the joke was in poor taste but yet struggle to make excuses for it.
Look, it is real easy. Try this,
"Yes the joke was wrong and he shouldn't have said it. Lets hope it doesn't happen again".

Yes, you can disagree with some of his actions and comments and still be his supporter.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Someone forgot their sense of humor...

I thought it was cute. So he cracked a couple lame jokes. He wasn't exactly pc. I can see we have a season loooooong of these ahead of us...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join