It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-117A, B-2; What's Next !?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
depends on your definition of available now doesn't it. seriously how do you know it is flying?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Let's think logically. No doubt there are many one-off test and experimental aircraft, but think abou the actual operational needs.

What are the oldest combat aircraft the USAF uses?

Well, obviously there are paleolithic B-52's but they're staying around and never used over enemy territory without total air superiority.

If you look at operational fighters and bombers, what strikes you?

The F-14 is old, and already SuperHornets and the JSF are replacing that. B-1 is old but there is already B-2 operational.

If you just go through the calendar, the next old one is, believe it or not, the F/A-117. All the other programs have had significant upgrades or will be replaced by the JSF and -22.

What's left? The 117. B-2 is much more expensive to run and a wholly different class.

And the 117's stealth is getting old, some of the newest Russian radar systems may be able to see it with interferometry.

I think the next B-3 will be a replacement for the 117 role. Smaller and cheaper than the B-2. If I have to make a guess, it would be patterned after the Northrop Y23(?), the one which did NOT win the contest which produced the Raptor. Maybe it didn't lose after all and is converted to medium stealth attack.

And sure enough the Groom Lake A51 watchers (Desert Rat) have seen a black thing which looks like the 117 but is noticably larger.

Hmm.

The B-4 may eventually be the hypersonic gee whiz super "hit any target on earth launching from CONUS."

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
How about posting the available information... and then making an opinion off of that... instead of staying here bashing each other and pointing fingers?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Shugo, I am certainly not bashing you and I have posted some information on the subject. Unfortunately some of it I just can't post. I've dreamed about this aircraft forever and would love to see it see the light of day, I just don't think it is operational anymore. And why I don't know.

Sorry for the thread creep.

I think the replacement for the F117 will undoubtable be the F-22, judging from what I read that latter has a smaller radar signature and is certainly faster. I doubt if there will be a replacement for the B-2 at this time, many reasons. The type of wars we are fighting right now there is no capability to shoot down aircraft like the B-1B or even the B-52, like Afghanistan and Iraq, we knocked out whatever capability they had. If there was to be a replacement, I think it would be a slightly larger version of something along the lines of the F-22 or YF-23, something that can carry a substantial load. Of course with the speeds of the F-22, they can fly many more sorties than other convential stealth aircraft and thus more effect, just my opinion of course. Whether there is a skunk works project like the B-2 going on, that would become large scale production, I doubt it. I think right now these companies are getting money to develop technologies for the time being that would be used in a new secret production aircraft ten years from now, I'm talking laser weapons, anti-gravity, VR cockpits for unmanned aircraft recon and strike aircraft. Our aircraft are so much further advanced than anyone right now it isn't logical to spend money on the next B-2 when it could be spent on R&D for some real out of this world technology.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
That's good there... though the reason I still say Aurora flies is because I believe recently I have seen it.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Facts:

A) The F-22 concentrates on agility. The YF-23 concentrates on stealth. Compared to the YF-23, the F-22 is more agile but not as stealthy, in large measure becuase the -22 uses vectorable thrusters.

B) the attack version of the F-22 was canceled.

C) the F-117 squadron has been moved from its original highsecurity airbase (Holloman?).

Here's my hypothesis. It is not the YF-23, but a development FROM the YF-23 platform to add range and more stealth to make a medium attack/bomber craft.

Remember when did the -22 and -23 prototypes fly? 1990. Yes, FOURTEEN YEARS ago. Plenty of time for new ones. When did 117 prototypes fly? 1970's and 1980's!!! Face it, the -117 is as ancient as any combat aircraft in the fleet. It is time to be retired.
And supposedly JSF is nearly as stealthy as the 117. Where does the 117 fit in? It doesn't. But there is a hole.

Also, after the classified USAF briefing over the Advanced Tactical Fighter program, Northrop did NOT contest the decision to go with Lockheed, as was their legal right. Almost always in a multibillion contract the loser will try to contest. Gee I wonder what may have happened: "Hey guys, Lockheed has the better fighter, but we have a mission for you too. Right up your alley."

Northrop is probably better at stealth thanks to B-2 experience.

The JSF will be the unclassified mainstay of light and medium attack, and will be exported worldwide. It is the new F-16.

The "A/B-3" is the USA-only high tech shiznit craft.

And probably when it is deployed and used for the next 10 years or so the military will say it was an F-117. Perfect cover.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
From Milan

i think after the B2 bomber they will make some thin more powerful and super speed aircraft.look at the B-3
it will help you to understand what it is look like.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

Here's my hypothesis. It is not the YF-23, but a development FROM the YF-23 platform to add range and more stealth to make a medium attack/bomber craft.

Remember when did the -22 and -23 prototypes fly? 1990. Yes, FOURTEEN YEARS ago. Plenty of time for new ones. When did 117 prototypes fly? 1970's and 1980's!!! Face it, the -117 is as ancient as any combat aircraft in the fleet. It is time to be retired.
And supposedly JSF is nearly as stealthy as the 117. Where does the 117 fit in? It doesn't. But there is a hole.

Also, after the classified USAF briefing over the Advanced Tactical Fighter program, Northrop did NOT contest the decision to go with Lockheed, as was their legal right. Almost always in a multibillion contract the loser will try to contest. Gee I wonder what may have happened: "Hey guys, Lockheed has the better fighter, but we have a mission for you too. Right up your alley."

Northrop is probably better at stealth thanks to B-2 experience.

The JSF will be the unclassified mainstay of light and medium attack, and will be exported worldwide. It is the new F-16.

The "A/B-3" is the USA-only high tech shiznit craft.

And probably when it is deployed and used for the next 10 years or so the military will say it was an F-117. Perfect cover.

I am in agreement with MBKennel's hypothesis as stated above... although I'm not sure what he is saying about a "A/B-3".
However and alternative to what he stated about the "A/B-3", I believe that there are 3 different types of operational aircraft that are the result of special access programs and are not publically acknowledged.
Their specific functions and specs are up for conjecture...

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by intelgurl]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join