It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deliberate Derailment.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
We all know that threads can migrate naturally overtime onto matters that are related to the OP.This,i have no problem with.

But there are threads were this does not happen.Until,that is,someone joins it,who,without even sparing a few words for the OP,will go straight into a different subject which may or may not relate to the OP.This i have a problem with.This is deliberate derailment.

There are members on here who's MO is deliberate derailment.They are seen throughout ATS doing the same thing again and again.If they have been warned by the moderators they obviously pay no attention whatsoever to this.

Of course you can ignore these people,but you cannot make other members do this which means before you know it you've lost control of your thread.

Are the Powers That Be unable to deal with these members,or are they unwilling??

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think they are unwilling to do anything, whilst some members are punished for trivial details such as one line posts etc. other members get away with murder. The standard answer from the mods is we cannot be everywhere, oh really. I personally believe that many of the mods have their own prejudices and are quick to punish members who they dont like or agree with.

And when others come here to derail threads etc. they are just left to it, the mods say complain, well I do but nothing ever happens.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is a huge board with thousands of members, over 5 million posts. On the other hand there are only roughly 60 staff members who moderate.

If you happen to come across a post that is off-topic, or if you feel that a particular member is purposely derailing a thread, then by all means hit the alert button located at the bottom of each and every post. This will bring that particular post to the attention of the entire staff. Or, if you prefer, use the ATS Complain/Suggestion feature located in the Member Center.

Hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
And when others come here to derail threads etc. they are just left to it, the mods say complain, well I do but nothing ever happens.

And how do you know this? You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. U2u's are a major tool to handling the board. You wouldn't be privy to that. Also there has been a huge influx of "off topic" "P-troll", "Manners" post removals lately. Your point is not valid.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
maria_stardust

Thanks.

But,as i said,complaining doesn't seem to deter some members.Many do not care if,for example,they lose points.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
and all these theads about shaved monkeys are really getting my goat.............

i couldn't resist, i'm weak. MODs may feel free to delete this post and warn me now.

on a serious note, OP, never really notice this to be honest but i almost always end up off topic so i may well be one of the people refered to.

link   
For the most part I think the mods are great at catching posts that really do go off topic. In fact, I've had the oposite problem whereby I've been warned by a mod who though I went off topic in my own damn thread (a thread I started). Chances are, if you feel that somebody is derailing a thread, and mods have seen it but done nothing, you need to widen your narrow point of view as the post you feel is off topic very likely isn't.

link   

Originally posted by jakyll
But,as i said,complaining doesn't seem to deter some members.Many do not care if,for example,they lose points.

In which case we have other avenues to use, such as the post ban. Perma ones as well. Like I said, a lot goes on off of the board.

link   
reply to post by intrepid

Your point is not valid.

It is if he has complained and nothing has been done about it.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll

Your point is not valid.

It is if he has complained and nothing has been done about it.

Ah but was the complaint valid? Maybe but maybe it was a difference of opinion. We don't mod by that but by the T&C. AGAIN, we probably took action via u2u. Unless flagrant that is how we conduct ourselves. Our desire is not be punitive but to have ALL members post according to the T&C.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That art of discourse takes many paths.

I suppose if you wanted everyone to stay on topic you could threaten people with a good flogging but then who would bother joining a discussion?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
I suppose if you wanted everyone to stay on topic you could threaten people with a good flogging...

I put that forth for consideration but got voted down X#- 1.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Intrepid, let me give you some facts that are valid, the stock ansewr from mods is that you cannot watch everyone, then please explain how I can get punished in minutes of posting a reply yets others dont. When I have complained about members using abuisve, rascist etc. langauge I have not even had a reply from the mods.

That is not a difference of opion as you put it. The point is that some members get away with murder and others do not so that begs the questionis there favouritism for some mebers but not others. And further, many other members have stated the same yet still nothing is done, you either enforce the rules on all members or not at all.

And "if" things go on behind the scenes how are we to know if you dont reply to us. I could go now to any number of threads that are filled with hate and abuse for others yet the members do not get punished so whats your answer to that. The whole essense of ATS is to deny ignorance so why do you allow members to come here and peddle it and peddle it a plenty.

Like a question I posed, does ATS have a anti Muslim agenda, that thread got banned, why, why is it members can come here and be rascist and print hate and ignorance but you cannot print the N word, i'll tell you why its called double standards thats why.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If I was a Mod on this site, I'd be tired of all the anal retentive nagging by people who want to complain about everything and not contribute anything at all.

I think the mods on here have a ton of patience with you guys because I wouldn't.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Warren, its not about drifting off topic, we all do that. No its about the deliberate tactic of some members who's sole purpose is not to engage in the subject matter but to derail it because they dont want it discussed and thats the difference.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
if you don't engage a derailment it doesn't work, alternatively hit the alert button and send a complaint.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

And "if" things go on behind the scenes how are we to know if you dont reply to us.

THAT is a valid complaint. We could do better at that.

Like a question I posed, does ATS have a anti Muslim agenda, that thread got banned, why, why is it members can come here and be rascist and print hate and ignorance but you cannot print the N word, i'll tell you why its called double standards thats why.

No, they are not tolerated. Racism is not in line with the T&C.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Warren, its not about drifting off topic, we all do that. No its about the deliberate tactic of some members who's sole purpose is not to engage in the subject matter but to derail it because they dont want it discussed and thats the difference.

true that

It does have the added effect of glaringly pointing out who the derailers are thought, doesn't it?

Making themselves quite apparent for all to see (those that can read between the lines that is)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Everytime I have used the alert feature (which is very sparingly), I have checked back on the post that I had alerted the mods to and the post had been taken care of. In my experience there has been a quick response to erradicate the problem. Somethings that you may not be taken into consideration about all this, is the pace in which threads move. Some threads can quickly gain a couple pages of responses in an hours time period. Most members won't be bothered to read more than a few posts, what makes you think a mod has the time to do it? There are TONS of threads created a day and hundreds/thousands/bugillions of posts everday. I really think those who believe dealing with the amount of posts we receive here is no excuse for missed posts are lacking a clear understanding of how time consuming the task can be.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
magicmushroom

That is not a difference of opion as you put it. The point is that some members get away with murder and others do not so that begs the questionis there favouritism for some mebers but not others. And further, many other members have stated the same yet still nothing is done, you either enforce the rules on all members or not at all.

I'm sure some mods would deny that happens,but i believe it does.

As much as i dislike it in these types of enviroments,it is natural for people o behave that way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join