It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shunned For Over 10yrs For Denying Climate Change.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Most people will not know who David Bellamy is,but for years he entertained and educated children in the UK with his programs on nature.Growing up,for me,his shows were not to be missed.

Yet for over 10yrs he has been shunned by the BBC for not towing the line on the climate change debate.

I find what he has to say now interesting and important.

"When I first stuck my head above the parapet to say I didn’t believe what we were being told about global warming I had no idea what the consequences would be.
I am a scientist and I have to ­follow the directions of science but when I see that the truth is being covered up I have to voice my ­opinions.
According to official data, in every year since 1998 world temperatures have been getting colder, and in 2002 Arctic ice actually increased. Why, then, do we not hear about that?
The sad fact is that since I said I didn’t believe human beings caused global warming I’ve not been allowed to make a TV programme....

At the beginning of this year there was a BBC show with four experts saying: “This is going to be the end of all the ice in the Arctic,” and hypothesising that it was going to be the hottest summer ever. Was it hell! It was very cold and very wet and now we’ve seen evidence that the glaciers in Alaska have started growing rapidly – and they’ve not grown for a long time.
I’ve seen evidence, which I believe, that says there has not been a rise in global temperature since 1998, despite the increase in carbon dioxide being pumped into the atmosphere. This makes me think the global warmers are telling lies – carbon dioxide is not the driver.
The idiot fringe have accused me of being like a Holocaust denier, which is ludicrous. Climate change is all about cycles, it’s a natural thing and has always happened. When the Romans lived in Britain they were growing very good red grapes and making wine on the borders of Scotland. It was evidently a lot warmer....

And my opinion is that there is absolutely no proof that carbon dioxide is anything to do with any impending catastrophe. The ­science has, quite simply, gone awry. In fact, it’s not even science any more, it’s anti-science.
There’s no proof, it’s just projections and if you look at the models people such as Gore use, you can see they cherry pick the ones that support their beliefs.
To date, the way the so-called Greens and the BBC, the Royal Society and even our political parties have handled this smacks of McCarthyism at its worst.
Global warming is part of a natural cycle and there’s nothing we can actually do to stop these cycles. The world is now facing spending a vast amount of money in tax to try to solve a problem that doesn’t actually exist.
And how were we convinced that this problem exists, even though all the evidence from measurements goes against the fact? God knows. Yes, the lakes in Africa are drying up. But that’s not global warming. They’re drying up for the very ­simple reason that most of them have dams around them.

www.dailyexpress.co.uk...

His views are the same as many over scientists,and just like him,those in charge do their best to ignore them.

Related links.
GLOBAL WARMING:The Myth,Hype,and the Facts.
www.look-to-the-skies.com...

Climate change:A guide for the perplexed.
environment.newscientist.com...

35 Errors Discovered in Al Gore’s Film.
newsbusters.org...

An even more Inconvenient Truth: The Myth of Man-Made Global Warming.
www.scifi-jackson.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think the term global warming needs to be changed to "Global Trashing of the Planet for Financial Gain and Power"

then we would have zero skeptics

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Title of the article is a little misleading. Climate change is real and i do not think anyone (scientists) will argue with the fact that climate in the last decades indeed is not stable. It is "global warming ,caused by artificial overproduction and accumulation of c02" theory that is challenged. I read that this winter is going to be very cold, so i think that GW theory will take serious hit.
Anyway - this is definitely not the first climate changing period on the planet. Green Sahara became desert without industrial accumulation of co2. Belamy himself says that there are cycles of climate change.
p.s.
Yes, i know - it is not OP's choice of title. Journalists are at their "best" as usual.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Title of the article is a little misleading. Climate change is real and i do not think anyone (scientists) will argue with the fact that climate in the last decades indeed is not stable.

In what way?

He has been shunned from making programs because of his view.
And,as all the links show,many scientists are arguing that fact but their views are being ignored by the media.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Climate change does not mean Global Warming. As the man said himself:

I’ve seen evidence, which I believe, that says there has not been a rise in global temperature since 1998, despite the increase in carbon dioxide being pumped into the atmosphere. This makes me think the global warmers are telling lies – carbon dioxide is not the driver
The idiot fringe have accused me of being like a Holocaust denier, which is ludicrous. Climate change is all about cycles, it’s a natural thing and has always happened
Global warming is part of a natural cycle and there’s nothing we can actually do to stop these cycles.

See - he is not saying that there is no climate change. There indeed was rise in temperatures in the 80-90s of 20th century. There is change in water evaporation (global dimming stuff), there are numerous weather "anomalies" - like unusually early cold weather in Peru , that started in spring and not in the summer as usual. Like retreat of ice in arctic areas. But since for some reason global warming is connected (probably on subconscious level, due to all brainwashing) with climate change people assume that both are the same. I am yet to see scientist that said the climate is the same as centuries before.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Er,what he actually says in your quote is that Climate Change and Global Warming are both natural.

If they are both natural they neither are the fault of man.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I am glad that we think the same. If you will read my first post again you will see that we actually agree on this. Really. I just not like quoting myself , but just for the cause a short summary:
Climate change real, does not equal "GW caused by co2 released by human " theory. Title problematic. Journalists as usual reliable.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Oh,right.Duh! Lol.
Apologies to you then.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Fond though my memories of Bellamy are, the guy's 75, he was born in 1933, as a kids entertainer his age is certainly the reason he gets so little work

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It's already been established there were climate changes well before the car was invented, hairspray was created, refrigerators were in every house, and depending on your beliefs before man fully evolved. Climate changes of huge magnitude occurred in the past compared to the very tiny amount of fluctuation we have in such a small span of recorded years. I had thought Global Warming had gone the way of acid rain and the ozone layer disappearing.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think we know how this works.......Create a problem = Global Warming, Then
offer the solution = Carbon taxes

Here in the UK we get taxed to death under the guise of helping the environment, Then the Government give the go ahead for terminal 5 at Heathrow and a third runway to allow double the air traffic......Go figure !

E2a Forgot to say i loved David Bellamy as a presenter and hope he's still well.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by ken10]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
ken10

Thats true.Taxes are one step short of daylight robbery and its easier to tax the working and lower classes than it is the men who own the big airline companies.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I had thought Global Warming had gone the way of acid rain and the ozone layer disappearing.

What do you mean by that?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

I was suckered into the climate change idea 100% until a few months ago. But thank God it takes me about a day to change my mind about big issues. For the rest out there, it will be 10 or so years of a cooling globe before they change their mind. And then there will be those who simply never change their mind.

Titan is proof that CO2 does increase temperatures, so eventually it is bound to happen if we continue using carbon at the current rate. But we have to look at the data and see that ppm levels don't make that much of a difference and the solar activity of the sun is far more to blame.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by truthquest]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

But thank God it takes me about a day to change my mind about big issues.

Lol.

Its easily done though.

There are two types of people in the world when it comes to news reports.
1)Those who believe what they are told,full stop.
2)Those who believe,until they start to do some research for themselves and find that all is not as it seems.

Most people are from group one.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Great thread. I would just like to add this.

I really don't understand who believes we are responsible for climate change. What I would like to know is what is the perfect temperature? Why would warming be bad anyway? Certainly in Canada I would welcome it with open arms
. I would also like to invite all these MMGWist's to manitoba. For the last 3 years, we have had the coldest winters that I remember. When you have a two week cold snap of -50 C in January, you certainly hope that Al Gore is speaking the Gospel truth.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

yeah, he told the gardian it was because he ran against major in 2002

t was then that Goldsmith asked him to stand against Major. "In some ways it was probably the most stupid thing I ever did because I'm sure that if I have been banned from television, that's why. I used to be on Blue Peter and all those things, regularly, and it all, pffffft, stopped."
link

it has nothing to do with the fact that he's a nut job, at all, clearly.

seriously jakyll, a TV personality and a few scientists tell you climate change is a natural process and despite all logic and evidence you believe them?

well how about this, you disbelieve them but become energy efficient and environmentally conservative anyway. if your right and you do this we lose nothing, if your wrong and we don't do this........who the hell really knows.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
While I disagree with Bellamy's conclusion that man-caused GW is entirely false, I do sympathize with his statement in this article:

"The real climate debate will be resolved in the court of science, not in magazine articles, by the media nor on the rack of heresy."

Let's face it: the media has twisted this issue beyond recognition, and people are barely willing to discuss the matter respectfully. The hard work of others is meaningless next to the terrible want for being "right".

In the same article, Bellamy also said this:

"However, as I have consistently said, I am prepared to change my mind should the evidence warrant it and that I may be wrong."

Advice that we should all be quick to take up ourselves, regardless of our position on this issue.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The Earth heats and cools naturally its a fact and it will continue until the end of it, the Earth has also released more natural C02 into the atmosphere than man ever could throughout history.

Maybe our goverments should declare the Earth a terrorist for releasing such harmful gases.

Iv read a lot of statements and also saw interviews from top scientists in that field who disagree with notion of man made global warming.

The number 1 cause of "global warming" is...........Politicians, so they can tax our nuts off, the concept has been around since the 80s when a swedish scientist claimed we were heading for another Iceage because of our pollution.

And the main reason a lot of scientists agree with it is for funding, grants.

I think we damage ourselves more than the Earth by living in cities and breathing in all this crap, but taxing it wont solve the problem. Cleaner fuel is the answer.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Horus12]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
pieman

seriously jakyll, a TV personality and a few scientists tell you climate change is a natural process and despite all logic and evidence you believe them?

Bellamy is a highly respected scientist and botanist,being a TV personality is of no consequence.

And i've never believed that man is to blame for Global Warming/Climate Change.I've argued against it from the moment it became an issue.

Try asking what i think/believe instead of assuming.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join