It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Upcoming Apocalyptic movies to watch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Being a huge fan of apocalyptic/armageddon movies, here's a list of upcoming movies to watch, if you're into this sort of thing:

City of Ember (imdb)
October 2008 A corrupt mayor squanders the last energy and food in Earth's only surviving underground city. Two plucky teens (aided by dad Tim Robbins) race to crack a code that will help citizens escape to the surface.

The Road (imdb)
November 2008 Father (Viggo Mortensen) and son walk America's barren, ash-covered highways fleeing a postapocalyptic wasteland. (Shot on location in and around Pittsburgh.)

Autumn (imdb)
November 2008 One day humankind is decimated by a virus. The next, the victims are resurrected as killers. Expect — nay, demand! — legions of decomposed infectees-turned-zombies.

Chrysalis (imdb)
Late 2008 In this adaptation of a Ray Bradbury story, WW III leaves Earth nearly sterile, and a tiny outpost of scientists attempts to sustain plant life. Things get wacky when one of the researchers turns into a man-shaped pod.

Deadland (imdb)
Early 2009 WW III again. Nukes have wiped out most of civilization, martial law rules, and one man goes up against a gun-toting regime — with little more than his wits and his mitts.

Wasteland (imdb)
June 2009 Pollution destroys the ecosystem. Everything's going extinct. The cities empty. There's nothing left — apparently only a few bucks to rent Indiana Jones' fedora.

Mutant Chronicles (imdb)
August 2008 (Russia-only release?) Greedy corporations vie for Earth's last remaining resources. Meanwhile, Ron Perlman and John Malkovich battle over the last remaining pieces of scenery to chew.

The Last Man (imdb)
November 2008 Weaponized smallpox turns most of humanity into blind, vomiting, pus-oozing yet still walking corpses. Somehow, the uninfected 2 percent retain enough appetite to consume one another.

(no img for this one)
The Sky Has Fallen (imdb)
In a post-apocalyptic world, a new disease wipes out almost all of mankind within a couple of hours. Trying to avoid infection, people flee to remote locations, but they start seeing mysterious black figures, carrying away the dead and experimenting on them. Now, Lance and Rachel, two survivors determined to fight back, must kill the leader of these creatures before the rest of humanity disappears.

flag/star plz

[edit on 7-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

sweet post!!! of course my fav genre of film. i haven't heard of half these films. thanks.
the one with vigo mortenson sounds like the best.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!! those are my kind of Friday night weekend movies

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The road sounds very interesting, reminds me of a dream i once had...

Thanks and good post.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Sweet! I LOVE apocalyptic movies! I wonder how many of these are on my netflix queue

Just cause this is in the Global Meltdown forum....the timing of all these movies is kind of eerie. Doesn't Hollywood usually try to put out cheerful films during bad economic times?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

Beverly Hills Chihuahua ?

lolz

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

*falls on the floor laughing*

I had no idea what that was til I looked it up. If that's the kind of drivel they're putting out these days, we may be in worse shape than I thought!!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
And for the gamers (like myself) don't forget about Fallout 3. Definitely gets that post apocalypse flair down perfectly.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I'll give that one a whirl once I get a copy...that and the new C&C

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
the road was an absolutely fantastic book, if you haven't yet, i HIGHLY recommend checking it out, supe excited can't wait for the movie, ope it does the book justice.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The only thing that bothers me is that this seems to be a sort of conditioning. I first realized it while watching the Matrix back in 2000 (or 2001?). Then quite alot of superhero movies came out . . . conditioning us . . . for what, I dunno. Now they are conditioning us to WW3, SHTF scenarios.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I too would like to see more about 'The Road.' Might go by Barnes&Noble and see if they have a copy.

BTW, Fallout 3 is a sweet game. Just bought it. Havent played it that much do to work and finishing up my 2nd, and hopefully last, degree.

I'm hoping that it is just the game, but I have been having some freaky dreams dealing with this situation lately.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Not conditioning, more like cause and effect. Sort of like The Day After Tomorrow coming out during the height of the global warming flap. The current conditions are causing people to think apocalyptical scenarios, which leads movie producers to want to take advantage of that current public interest, which (as we know) is repeated over and over as Hollywood never has a unique thought that isn't instantly plagarized in some manner by a half dozen additional movies.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
They all look terrifying! Whatever happened to disneyesque Armegeddon? lol. Or my fave film of all time the Matrix? I can't do horrible imagery, it disturbs me greatly. Although I strangely like your avatar warren b.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This is great thanks. I love these movies but my husband just rolls his eyes.

Just wanted to add "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon is my favorite apocalyptic book of all times.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
i can't believe no one's mentioned the movie Threads, from 1984!!

Google Video Link

www.imdb.com...

...best apocalyptic movie OF ALL TIME!! why? because it's all too realistic... i can't believe i'd never heard of it until a week ago!!

...one of the most underrated movies ever!! watch it!

reply to post by warrenb

by the way, They Live is the best reptilian movie ever!!

[edit on 10-11-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Here's another one I forgot to add

weekend, December 12th 2008
The Day the Earth Stood Still (imdb)
Aliens land on Earth with an important message for its citizens. A remake of the classic 1951 sci-fi film directed by Robert Wise.

and here's the trailer

[edit on 17-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I cant believe you left out Roland Emmerich´s 2012

link fixed

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Waldy]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You Can't forget the new movie 2012 coming out in 2009. This movie will blow all the other movies on your list out of the water. The trailer is finally released so go take a look for yourself.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
2012 looks awesome. I hope it lives up to the hype as so many movies have failed to do in the past.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join