It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Les Stroud to end Survivorman

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It looks like this will be last season of Survivorman.

Stroud to end Survivorman

"It takes a lot out of me as I really do what I do for real, with no camera crew, no nights in hotels like others do, and it takes a toll on my body," Stroud told Reuters.

"You can only do seven days surviving without food a certain number of times a year. I'm pleased with what I have done, I've been copied around the world, but 25 times I've not eaten anything for a week while sleeping on rocks. I need to move on."

I'm sorry to see the show end. I really enjoy it.

I watch both he and Bear. I also hunt, camp, fish and have been out in the woods on and off from a wee little tadpole to the grey, grizzled frog I am now.

When I watch Les I usually think things like "I'll have to remember that. I could probably do that. That's handy to know."

When I watch Bear I usually think things like, "I'd be dead in an hour if I tried to do what he's doing."

I'm really sorry to see Les hanging up the Survivorman hat.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
He is an amazing man. I'm glad he put himself through all that he has to try to show people how to survive in dire situations. He is right tho, how many times can he starve his self and tempt fate like he does until his luck runs out. I think he has showed us plenty.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
True - the article states he's 47 now and doing what he does has be getting harder on him.

You are right - he has shown us plenty. I can't blame him a bit for hanging it up. That doesn't mean I'm not going to miss his info and show though.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I love that show, but yeah, I guess it would take a toll on him. I know I couldn't have done it. I've learned a lot from him.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
"I'd be dead in an hour if I tried to do what he's doing."

So would he!!

Pure entertainment value only.

Shame about Les though,He's a genuine guy all right.

But he's right,there's only so long you can put your body through that kind of punishment to demonstrate a survival scenario.

In 'real life' there's maybe once(or twice if you're unlucky enough) you'd get caught out and have to endure that kind of labour.
Unless you're a 'Pro' or forces.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Damn, I loved that show. Sometimes I watch Bear too, but he definitely 'cheats' more.
Thanks Les Stroud.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

So would he!!

Pure entertainment value only.

The thing with Bear is I always picture some average person out lost in the wilds and going.... "Hmm.. I'm going to climb down this sheer rock cliff like I saw Bear do...AAaaeeeeiiieee!!!"

With Les he kept saftey in mind more it seemed. I think for his own sake and for those that were watching for knowledge as well as entertainment.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
survivorman was one of the only shows i watch, it is great, and les is the man.

its a shame hes giving it up, but it is whats best for him i would say, that guy is tough as nails, but even he admits that its rough on his body.

I will miss you les.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

The thing with Bear is I always picture some average person out lost in the wilds and going.... "Hmm.. I'm going to climb down this sheer rock cliff like I saw Bear do...AAaaeeeeiiieee!!!"

EXACTLY,
And that's why it should NEVER have been sold as a 'survival' program.
Because with what he's showing you,you wouldn't...errrr...survive!!

Scaling up Slipper/moss coated rocks and jumping into trees???..

That'd be a big "OI...NO!!!."

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I always wondered how long he would be able to keep it up. My significant other and I had bets on if he'd break down mentally or physically first.

Well, hats off to Les Stroudman for being such a productive and useful counterpoint to Bear*. His show was entertaining and educational and will be sorely missed.

*(Ugh, Bear. The SO refers to it as a comedy show - has since he saw the moron purposely jump through ice)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
One thing I really respect about Les was he will actually admit his mistakes and when things don't work out as he hoped.

Like the time he caught his shelter on fire.

Several times I've seen him try to catch food or do something and then the camra angle will change, you can tell time has passed and Les will say something like, "Well, I've been trying this for the past 3 hours and it just isn't working.."

I have to respect that.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Sad to hear this. I really enjoyed watching the show. Even my gf loved it. Naturally he has a good reason to end the show and chill down a bit. It must have been tearing a lot on him at his age, putting himself through what he did.

Survivorman gave me a lot, and I will miss it when it ends.

Does anyone know if he ever got to do more urban survival shows, in addition to the one with focus on Hurricanes/floods ?

Now if Bear Grylls decided to abandon his current concept and go in the footsteps of of Les, I would start watching his show again :p He is young, and if he really was a survival instructor for the SAS, he should be able to handle it for a while.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I can't say that I blame him.
I used to to do multiday hikes on the appalachian trail, and while it's fun when you're young, it takes more and more out of you as you get older.
The same "wow this is exciting" life or death situations, turn into "what the hell am I doing" experiences very quickly.

I have a funny feeling this has something to do with his decision.

Google Video Link

It just makes me respect the man more.
I think it's great that he's taking time for himself and his family.
Imagine what they had to endure, not knowing if he would be a lion snack or if he would return home.
mad respect for the man, hope things turn out the way he wants.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
One of the Wilderness families I admire most are Frank and John Craighead.

They are -the- kings of documentaries, at least with regard to the Grizzly.

There was a documentary on their kids growing up in the lifestyle that profession required and I've always admired and been not a little jealous of the opportunities their children had.

The Brothers Wild

I wonder if the Stroud children will grow up with a similar experience.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread.

The other Outdoorsman who just trumps everyone is Dick Proenneke. I've posted on him before, but I can't find it.

Here's a thread found on searching:

Alone in the Wilderness

Though Dick did have help, he also filmed his adventure. He was, arguably, the prototype to Les Stroud, imo.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This realy sucks, as I LOVE his show and think he is fabulous at teaching everyday people simple ways to survive.

I used to watch Bear and know someone who served with him....however, I think that show is all about "look at me and what I can do", rather then teaching REAL survival. I mean, really, how many people would be able to free hand cliff climbing???

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I too am sorry to hear this.
Les lives about an hour away from me, and I truly wanted to try to interview him for the site if possible, in the near future.
If I can say anything about him, it's that he frequently demonstrated "What not to do", and how to get along anyways.
Official site:
www.survivorman.ca...

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
A true pioneer in the field. As a phoojournalist, I can appreciate lugging around equipment in less than hospitable environments. I have huge respect for the guy.

I'' ll never forget the episode in a South American or Central American jungle were he tried to sleep in a canoe on the river while it was tied up to a tree in order to escape land critters only to be attacked by flying critters. Classic!

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Never heard of The Brothers Wild before now, but I'v seen Alone in the Wilderness a few times and loved it!

You got to tip your hat to Dick Proenneke for that one, in comparison to Les Stroud, he made survivorman look like a tourist.
I'v watched Alone in the Wilderness like 3 times now and I never get tired of it, I would LOVE to do that...

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Has anyone watched Mantracker. I think it might only be broadcast in Canada.

Sometimes they will pull someone off the street with little survival/ wilderness experience and expect them to bushwack their way through the Canadaian bush with the Mantracker hot on their heels. It's hilarious sometimes. They had this overweight Torontonian on there once who nearly died of a heart attack ascending a hill !!

edit to add youtube links

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 9-11-2008 by venividivici]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Another great documentary I loved was "Grizzly Man" the story of Timothy Treadwell.
Granted Mr. Treadwell was a little "out there" but the message he tried to get across to people was in my opinion very important.

He lived among grizzly bears for 13 seasons in Katmai National Park in Alaska, and on the 13th season he and his girlfriend were mauled and devoured by a grizzly.
Some people would say he was completely insane, but he literally put his life at risk to protect the grizzlies that he loved so much.
Noble cause with a tragic ending.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join