It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploring the Space at faster rate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
"Star Trek" fans may have to wait a few more centuries to embark on quick interstellar trips using wormholes and space-time warps as shortcuts. So while bypassing the cosmic abyss is still a subject of debate among physicists, some of them are already experimenting with a different, more practical approach: antimatter propulsion.

If it works, unmanned spaceships could be flying throughout the solar system and interstellar space by the year 2040, says Gerald Smith, a retired Penn State University physics professor. And it's all possible under the current laws of physics. Nevertheless, Smith says, it will take "a great deal of research and development, and a few miracles along the way."

Natural antimatter was first discovered by American physicist Carl Anderson in 1933. He detected antiprotons in cosmic rays. But it wasn't until 1955 that scientists could create antiprotons in a laboratory. Even with today's technology, antimatter production is still an expensive, time-consuming process. With the most advanced equipment, the estimated cost of producing a single milligram of antimatter per year is prohibitive: $10 billion to $15 billion, Smith says. So from a practical standpoint, achieving propulsion through antimatter annihilation is still as futuristic as 23rd century physics a la "Star Trek."

For the rest of this antimatter article use this link.
popularmechanics.com...

This is a interesting thing.

If they can find a way to produce anti-matter cheap then we can explore the universe much faster.
But as its very expensive then NASA is currently sticking with nuclear with is much faster then chemical rockets.

NASA may go nuclear again to provide power for both instruments and propulsion to spacecraft flying on deep-space missions. With Sean O'Keefe as its new chief, and the blessing of the Bush administration, the space agency plans to bring nuclear fission reactors back in style.

Besides getting all the electricity they need from radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs), spacecraft propelled by nuclear engines will cut considerably the travel time to distant planets, says Ed Weiler, NASA's chief scientist. "For 40 years NASA has been doing planetary science in the same way. That is, you accelerate for 5, 10, 15 minutes, and then you stop. And you coast, and you coast, and you coast," Weiler says. "That's not the way to do exploration."

For the rest of the nuclear article use this link.
popularmechanics.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
At the rate of technological advances this will happen. lol

I still believe strong in the Aurora XCST though, but I think if it is true, it can go into space as well...

I'm gonna look into this to. Good find Russian

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Russian you just hit my heart
This is the theme I have been living for
I crossed a site before about 2 years that was ecsactly about this project but now i have a much better view of interstellar propultion (anihilation and nuclear propultion ) than you would expect.
In a day or two I will dig some links up to let you know more

good find and a good topic russian you get my way above

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by vorazechul]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
any kind of interstellar exploration wil be impossible if we cannot get into space easier and cheaper than we can now. Getting into earth orbit is the biggest hurdle, afterwards it is easy to break orbit. I have an idea of how to make that possible, but right now i dont have enough time to type it, so ill post it later.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the click my other thread.

Which is about Nuclear vs Chemical Propulsion.

Out,
Russian

top topics

join