It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slimey Landlords

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Oh man. Have got a mouthful to say today. The tale of tragedy goes like this:

I call up my landlord sometime at the beginning of this month. I say, Yo, when's our deposit coming back? He goes, yada yada, I gotta look at the place, I understand, I'll try to have back ASAP. I'm required by law to give you the deposit within a month of moving out (which was Feb. 27th). I go, cool. I understand. You can hand the check to my bro, at yada yada.

It's all good. But then, I don't hear anything from him. What the hell? Hey, I'm a nice guy. Maybe he put in my bros mailbox and he didn't know? My bro checks the mail, looks around. Can't find the damn thing. Okay. That's odd.

I call the guy again, and ask him to call me back with an explanation. Its' around March 19th or so. So I sit back and chill a little longer. No dice. I call my bro again. No check.

So today I call the dude. I finally get his ass. He's stepping out of the house, apparently. I'm like, what's happening with the deposit. He goes, "Well, er. I'm going to step out to pick up my brother and look at the place. Uh. I'll get back to you about what we're going to do." Huh? What we're going to do? #. I don't know what the hell is going on now. But hey, at least he said he'd call me back right? Suckers never learn.

I chill for an hour. I can't take this # no more. I gotta know what the hell is going on. I mean, I slowly realize, whatever the situation may be, it's not right to not let the other person know what?s going on.

So I call. I get his mother. WTF. She doesn't know a thing, she claims. I fake-bawl on her to tug the heart strings ... maybe I'll get something? All she wants to know is how much I'm expecting, so she can tell him. That's weird. I put my brain in boxing position and say, "Well, it was 1600, minus expenses. I know the door need to be fixed and the fan was broken... So I'd expect whatever's left from that." She's uh uh. Her attitude is coming on and she's fading fast. Man. I get his real number (apparently I'd been calling his mom's which is weird). So I leave a message.

We both signed a lease. He himself told me he had a month to give us the deposit back. He never told me what the # was going on, so now I'm shaking in my boots. I left early so I don't really know how it looked when they all moved out. But as far as I know it was clean and nice.

And now I'm sitting here waiting for this lazy ass # headed mother #er to call me back and, "tell me what we're going to do." Not cool. I'm afraid, somehow, someway, the nice extra somethign I was waiting on for like a month is going to turn into some tiny amount over bull# I had no clue about.

- ktpr

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
That sucks man.

My landlord is awesome. I saved up for a few years so I could be lazy for a while. When I moved in to my place, I paid off a 12 month lease in full. The lease included utilities accept for the phone. Then he gave me 6 months on top of that for free because I put carpet in a bedroom in the downstairs. He's selling his house (the one he lives in) and moving to Montana. He has a pool table that he doesn't want to haul with him so, he's going to help me put it in my basement.
He must have smelled something too because, he gave me a copy of "The Marijuana Growers Guide" from 1975 and told me too "be careful". That was the whole conversation about marijuana.
So, for at least the next 10 months or so, the only bill I have is my phone bill and tuition, and I'm getting a pool table. On top of that, I got the "OK" to grow weed in my house.
I love my landlord!

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hey man I can't feel your happiness right now.

And I'd watch about growing pot. You might regret it later.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yes, landlords are a complete shower of bastards.
Heres what happened to KayEm some years ago.
She was married to an utter neanderthal junkie bastard. They had one kid and she was expecting another. Mr Neanderthal sent her out to work while he sat around doing fook all. One day the landlord appeared and gave them notice to quit because she was selling the place. Fair enough, said KayEm, and began to looking for another place.
Mr Neanderthal got ratarsed while KayEm was at work and trashed the place.

Now comes the # part. The landlord quite rightly contacted the cops. By that time Mr Neanderthal and KayEm were living in another place. The cops caught him when KayEm was at work, so when she returned he wasnt there. Only a message.

She went to the courthouse to find out what was going on only to end up locked in the holding cells. The landlord - despite knowing that a) Mr Neanderthal was the one responsible for the damage, b) KayEm had been threatened by Mr Neanderthal to keep quite about it- or else, and c) KayEm was pregnant at the time - had reported both of them to the cops.

Fortunately the cops were decent (as was the prozzy who was already in the holding cell). They saw that KayEm was upset and did all they could to help.

She almost lost the baby because of this and has despised this landlord since then.
Out of interest, she left Mr. Neanderthal a week after the baby was born. Pity it wasn't sooner.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
JEsus christ. I'm ranking landlords about one notch above laywers, maybe. I need to break out some Rage Against the Machine or something.

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Tenants rights is a big thing in NYC. You should see if there is some sort of commision where you live so you can get your money back. If you signed a lease you could always bring it to small claims court and get your money.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
One big problem is that im living in new mexico now, and he's in rhode Island. Kinda hard to show up to claims court in rhode island.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I feel your pain dude, I had a super #ty landloard in Arlington. Man that guy was such a pap smear. Hell, I would rather take a # than listen to my old landlord, at least with taking a # I'd know what I was getting into. And believe me, taking a # was a lot better than dealing with this prick.

This assbag had the audacity to not fix our ceiling for around 4 months. Me and my roomates bathroom was right above our living room. Well, guess what was leaking...our #ty # all over our living room for 4 months!!! Talk about irony, here I am talking about enjoying watching poo and then the #s in my living room (no pun intended). Fortunately we werent home that much, but still.... So, I sent him one month our rents check. Well, he happened to be on vacation for like 3 weeks. I sent him the check on the 27th of every month without fail. Well, he didnt get his check because Ol# Mr Pap wasnt there. So he has the nerve to call my work saying I'm writing back checks when the #face is on vacation!!! We ended up breaking our lease, but he was at fault for not fixing the # problem, so we got our deposit back.

I'm with you on this one man, landlords can lick it.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Heres one from me.

Back in September 2000 I ended up in hospital with heart failure. When I was released, Mom & Dad asked me if I wanted to convelesce in their house rather than staying in the cottage alone. (KayEm had to return to the US at that time and wouldn't be with me). Since I was still somewhat fecked up, I agreed, and decided that I would stay for a few weeks, possibly a month. I took my computer with me and left the rest of the furniture (which came with the cottage anyway). Every few days I would drive back and pick up my mail and make sure everything was ok.

One sunday (I fecking hate sundays), I got a phone call at my parents house from my landlord, who accused me of doing a runner. She explaining that her 'gofer' had noticed that I was no longer there and assumed I had left. I tried to explain that I had recently got out of hospital and was planning to return to the cottage in the near future anyway, but the bitch was having none of it. She informed me that she had changed the locks and that I wouldn't be allowed back inside, also that she was keeping the deposit. Somewhat shocked, I nevertheless contacted the bank to cancel the standing order for the rent and started looking around for somewhere else to live (not knowing at the time something that I was later to discover).

About a week later, I received a letter from the county court stating that this bitch was taking me to court for breach of contract in that I had 'left without giving notice'. Not standing for this, I did some research before replying to the court summons in the section marked 'defence'. I also included the fact that I was cross-filing for illegal eviction. Her lawyer received a copy from the court and immediately pulled the plug on the case. I had discovered one interesting thing that she was unaware of. Private individuals who sublet and later evict the tenant illegally, can be fined, but thats all. However, those who let property as part of their business who are found guilty of illegal eviction can be jailed. Its rare for that to happen, but it was enough to scare the # out of the bitch.

I never heard another thing.

As for the deposit - KayEm had been trying to fix a faulty door on the washing machine a week or so before I went into hospital and made it worse. I planned to replace it when I got back. It would have cost about the same amount as the deposit anyway, so I let that go.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Damn pisky. You've been through hell and high water.

in other news, I just mailed a certified letter to my awesome landlord. I also left a message. I'll see if he'll bother to listen to me now...

top topics

join