It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[National Geographic] Unknown "Structures" Tugging at Universe, Study Says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I like to think that there are millions of universes all expanding to become one universe.

Like lots of bubbles expanding into 1 big bubble is how i see it.

Edit: Typo

[edit on 7/11/08 by Ezappa]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Horton Hears a Who? Anyone remember that animated movie?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by IceColdPro

fascinating-thanks for posting this.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Fett Pinkus

I've been saying for years (even in multiple threads here on ATS) that I think the universe is part of a larger multiverse and those multiverse make up the matter that we're all made of. It was only recently that scientist discovered dark flow that it started making more sense. You could compare dark flow to Gluons which allows quarks to interact and form protons and neutrons - which are the building blocks of the nucleus of an atom.

Yes that's right. Along with infinite space and infinite time comes infinite size. I believe the biggest thing we know (the universe) is part of a larger multiverse. The components of these multiverses combined, on the smallest scale imaginable, forms the building blocks of matter.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Wow, an interesting read. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IceColdPro
1. unknown, unseen "structures" are tugging on our universe like cosmic magnets,

2. The theory could rewrite the laws of physics.

well 1. is unknown and unseen so how do they know its a solid structure'(s)
and you know - we can tell when universes move - but how can we tell if space is moving as well ... ?

and for 2. ah hell you got my permission. after all bush already rewrote the laws of physics so he could have his 911... didnt you read the 911 Omission report... they left that out as well.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Did Einstien cure the common cold,aids,Cancer,ect! in other words scientists can only speculate or evaluate,we are still in the stone age in relation to the meaning of life. I put my faith in Faith.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BornPatriot

Originally posted by IceColdPro
1. unknown, unseen "structures" are tugging on our universe like cosmic magnets,

2. The theory could rewrite the laws of physics.

well 1. is unknown and unseen so how do they know its a solid structure'(s)
and you know - we can tell when universes move - but how can we tell if space is moving as well ... ?

and for 2. ah hell you got my permission. after all bush already rewrote the laws of physics so he could have his 911... didnt you read the 911 Omission report... they left that out as well.

1. Good question. We don't know whether it is a solid structure. There is no current technology available to us that can verify what this could definitely be. However, I believe the physicist may have come to describe whatever it is as a "structure", due to the discovery of a gravitational or almost magnetic pull on our universe. In a very similar way a large body of mass like the moon constantly has a gravitational pull on the earth.

"Kashlinsky says to picture yourself floating in the middle of a vast ocean. As far as the eye can see, the ocean is smooth and the same in every direction, just as most astronomers believe the universe is. You would think that beyond the horizon, therefore, nothing is different. "But then you discover a faint but coherent flow in your ocean," Kashlinsky said. "You would deduce that the entire cosmos is not exactly like what you can see within your own horizon." There must be an out-of-sight mountain river or ravine pushing or pulling the water. Or in the cosmological case, Kashlinsky speculates that "this motion is caused by structures well beyond the current cosmological horizon, which is more than 14 billion light-years away."

2. Hehe, you're right! Bush's report kind of offended me because I'm not blind and I have enough of a brain to know what a controlled and carefully executed demolition looks like (back to the topic at hand hehe...)

Originally posted by DangerDeath
reply to post by IceColdPro

Do you really think we can comprehend what is going on out there, from our little rock? The way we see Universe is like through a frog's eye

I don't think anyone will ever be able to fully comprehend the entire mystery of existence, however I have no doubt about the possibility of mapping the universe and fully understanding the "physics" of our universe with a mathematically consistent framework ...eventually. This will of course be limited to our perception as humans, but technology and scientific progress will bring possibilities I'm sure we can't even dream about presently. What will you know and be able to comprehend in 10 or 20 years from now?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
All the wonderful things that come out of physics and cosmology are always it seems mind boggling. Einstein once said that the most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible. I would have to disagree with Einstein on this sentiment.

To fully understand a model one must be able to observe it from the outside. For instance if you were a gear in a clock that somehow magically obtained consiousness and managed to question your exsistance, you may be able to dissern that there are other gears and these gears are turning an axle. You may even be able to conject that you are in fact part of a clock. But for all the information you have gained for every thing you have come to know, you would still have no clue that you were in fact a beautifully carved cookoo clock hand crafted from the finest mahogany.

Being a species that is for now tethered to our planet our ability to measure and observe the universe is already limited enough. But the fact that at no point in time will be able to leap outside our universe into the hyperspace between universes (if in fact its a multiverse) forever bars us from seeing the big picture of our universe as a whole. If someday we manage to wrench ourselves from this verse into another getting outside the entirity of the multiverse would be infinately more daunting if not all together impossible.

Since it is probably impossible to escape the multiverse into the unknown then even the most sophisticated intellegent life forms in the multiverse still would not understand the entire workings of the multiverse.

So while its wonderful to speculate and investigate and try to refine our understanding of the universe, you must temper your excitement about these new discovories with some humility and remember that you are just one cog in an inconceivably beautiful wonderful amazing enchanting terriying and humbling universe.

S & F for you OP

[edit on 7-11-2008 by constantwonder]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Seems consistent with the theory that we are being pulled into a black hole. Once it has absorbed all it can, it then expoldes and we temporarily, if millions of years can be considered temporary, move away until it once again starts to pull and repeats the process.

Kind of like a vaccuum bag which is full and you continue to use it. Eventually it will expode throwing the contents all over the room. Keep the vaccum on and eventually all will return to the vacuum where we will have a repeat of the occurence. So something is sucking us in and then over time spitting us back out again.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

I have always thought that the universe expands and contracts...endlessly. I am a 60 year old female...have had a keen interest in science all my life and have never believed the Big Bang theory...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Perhaps the universe on a very large scale is self-similar to itself on a small scale. It would be amazing if we discovered that there is a sort of dimensional equivelant to a "membrane" of sorts surrounding our physical universe, beyond which exist other "bubble" universes, all expanding like growing and dividing cells.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

And that's a result of your psychological conditioning, ingrained in millions of years of evolution. I can't say I blame you. But in the end we may be as insignificant as that marble, or that atom previous posters have mentioned.

We are but matter itself imitating the Gods.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'm sorry for not jumping on board with this amazing discovery, this is a good example of the state of the broken gravity centric view of the universe.
The universe is made mostly of electrified plasma that create vast magnetic fields that can stretch for millions of light years.
The article right at the beginning makes this analogy "On the outskirts of creation, unknown, unseen "structures" are tugging on our universe like cosmic magnets".
Cosmic magnets is probably more closer to the truth than they think. Electro magnetism is billions and billions of times stronger than gravity.
Doesn't have an effect in space though.

Instead of it standing as a refutation of the Big Bang theory another, yes, yet another untestable, unprovable idea without any basis in reality is once again thrown into the mix to keep a broken model alive. One that has grown so ridiculous future humans will look back at our generation like flat Earthers.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm sure there are others here whom are a little fresher on cosmology/physics than I but I'll offer an idea anyway.

It's generally thought that the Universe will do one of three things: permanently expand, eventually collapse or reach a permanent unchanging size. All those ideas are based on the amount of mass (gravity) in the Universe. What if something else happens? What if the Universe is falling apart? Unlike a balloon with a hole that suddenly goes BANG! perhaps it's more like a lump of ICE that develops cracks, internal fissures and eventually melts and evaporates?

A question to some of our scientists: if the Universe permanently expands, will it not eventually get flatter as it becomes void of content with which to form its exterior? I suppose at such a point it would stop expanding, too, or just fragment. Personally, I like my lump of ice theory. I'm quite proud of that.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Well, what I think is that our universe, which is nothing more than an experiment for a child in some elementary school for a 5th grade science project, did not win first prize and we are now being flushed down the toilet.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Just a few thoughts. Only advanced physics professors give a stab at three dimensions, and often they even differ in their hypothesis. String theory special four hrs on pbs was a total mind bender. I swear I was having petite mals for days after lol. The two Pioneer spacecraft reaching and surpassing the suns gravitational influence as they reached the edge of the galaxy exhibit differing rates and expected speeds and computer models.

String theory suggests there may be up to '11' dimensions, like bubbles that may briefly interact at times.

A good read is SK's '57 Chevy' or that 'twinners book'. Forgot the title. They touch or key on interdimensional topics.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I cant get into my account for some reason. Anyways... I came up with a theory a while ago that would explain why the Galaxies are moving at 200 million miles a second. At the center of the Universe there is a "Super Super" massive black hole and all the matter in the universe circulates around it. My theory also goes into Multiverses and what they are and how they work too. I actually made an image to describe some aspects of my theory over 6 months ago.

My theory expanded a lot past that but thats all I want to share right now...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I read somewhere that as an object approaches the speed of light it becomes super massive. I'll go with massive meaning what a physicist would mean, weight, not necessarily size. The OP mentions a speed higher than the speed of light. If you take the initial shockwave of the universe moving faster than the speed of light it would be and become quite massive. This would form a boundary film, layer, or surface of the Universe. If this boundary has been detected then it means it must have stopped under its own weight. This mass could be pulling on the interior.

It could also be the dark matter physicists have talked about. I think dark matter permeates space to the boundary and provides the medium light and EMR travels in. The medium controls the speed of light. At the time of the big band there was no medium in existance, so the shock wave was for all intents and purpose unregulated.

That the entire universe is moving could be an attractor or that the big band itself could have been launched in a direction and is now tugging on its parts.

I sort of like the first explanation above, but I wonder if it implies that the big crunch phase of this universe has already started.

[edit on 8-11-2008 by A52FWY]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join