It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed Nation: America's Shrinking Payroll

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Not too sure... I think it's safe to say 8 figure salaries for CEO's while the worker bees get the bare minimum to keep them coming back to work will be in the list of causes though. Maybe have a few lines in the future history books about how a country cannot sustain itself or it's economy by sending jobs overseas and then sending all it's money overseas to buy the goods produced.

Solutions? I don't have a clue. I do well to keep my own check book balanced, let alone the countries!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

The reality is that our nations fat rats and corrupted government doesn't balance anything in our nation that is why we are in the mess we are, they just print money and borrow money when the nations yearly budget comes around.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The solution is protectionism. Cut off the world cold turkey from America's teat and go back to nursing our own and only our own.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

NO a fat chance that would be done only if the people takes back the government by force.

We have a corporate ruled government right now.

Now the auto industry is probably going bankrupt if the government will not bail them out by the end of the year.

But no to worry I heard that China is going to be in the Auto manufacturing business so we may have the GM and others taken over by China.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
China isn't fairing too well either. Factories are closing with the owners stiffing the workers.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Well put.

I also hear others who believe that this is just the beginning because come the Holidays and post-New Year, we'll be seeing many more times the number of jobs lost in October alone.

Comrade Bush and the following still have some time to bail out-nationalize auto-makers and possbily other industries (why do we even NEED a "big-3" anymore?).

Is there ANY effort to stop the flow of outsourcing and insourcing American jobs? Is there any effort to create sustainable economic growth and not just an "economic stimulus package" which accomplishes nothing, as we already saw?

I'm just slightly optimistic about Obama's plans for the economy but we have no choice but to wait and see - problem is, we can't wait

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

Why? Why would you be optimistic and why would you believe any of these nationalizations stop when Bush exits office? Pelosi and Reid were equally involved in creating the bailout, Paulson & Bernanke have already been reported to remain in their positions following the switch to the Obama regime, and most importantly, Obama, himself, approved vocally and adamntly of the bailout plan... going so far as to chatise his followers who were grumbling about it, saying it was the patriotic thing to do to accept it.

We just elected a complete continuation of our prior corporate economic ass kissing policy, only this time there's absolutely ZERO checks and balances because Pelosi & Reid have majority rule AND the flipping party line holder sitting in the Oval Office. Think TSHTF the past two years when everything went to hell and the economy shattered? Wait and see how many bags of manure fly now that they rule all.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
My brother works for Robinson Helicopters here in Los Angeles. Business is absolutely grim. Two weeks ago they announced layoffs for today but started early yesterday. In my brother's department 10 out of 12 were let go!!! We're hoping that's got to be it for his department! Very scary times indeed. All I hear from my friends is how disgruntled they are with their jobs, they have no clue how lucky they are to be working. It truly amazes me how many people think the economy is doing fine now that gas prices are going down.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terra Serranum
It truly amazes me how many people think the economy is doing fine now that gas prices are going down.

It amazes me as well. Lower gas prices are all good and well, but it doesn't matter how low they get if millions of people still can't afford to buy gas because they have lost their jobs.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I pre-paid for $20 in gas and then start up my car and realize it actually almost filled up the tank.

Edit to fix a sentence that didn't make much sense once I re-read it.. Missing words will do that.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Jenna]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Actually its going to be short lived but we are not going to see the changes for another month, the OPEC reduce the production of oil at the end of last month.

Remember this are business people they are not going to keep losing money with the prices of oil, they will keep reducing production to raise prices again.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have to agree with a few posters on this thread.I believe that the main problem is outsourcing of jobs.
I am not American,thus,I don't think i am entitled to comment on Obama and his policies,but i think i can say at least that much : the only thing that might save America ( and Canada,where I am),is to bring back our jobs.

But that will not happen for a number of reasons.I don't believe that Obama can do much about this,because he cannot really upset China,or the big corporations.China holds now a lot of American assets and dollars.
You guys have been sold to foreign interests long time ago.Even if he tries to fix something,i just do see how he can do it.

The daily chinese junk that i see on our stores here reached epic proportions.I cannot even find local garlic being sold anymore.I have to go hunt it down through framer markets,and even then is hard to find.
I don't know how i can support local businesses and products if i can't seem to find any anywhere. We should probably start buying only locally manufactured goods and refuse chinese stuff.
Crying and complaining will not help us.Not giving them the money,is where it hurts.

For now,i'll hold on to my old tools that i still have "Made in the USA",they will probably be a collector's item soon enough.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah, I read about that too. I believe the justification was that there was more available oil than was needed and that prices shouldn't have been as high as they were with all the excess oil. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was the gist of the article I read about it a few months ago.. Or maybe it was last month. Can't remember exactly when I read it, but it's been pretty recently.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hi Folks,

What we are seeing today regarding the failed economy & job loss are purely a result of a of a failed way of life. The basis for what is occuring results from humans being forced to live in a society that revolves around a monetary structure. World governments, corporations and banking systems have created an environment that forces humanity further & further into debt and the bubble is finally bursting. The Fed continues to create new money out of thin air (which in itself is a fraud) and then charges interest on something that never really had any value to begin with.

There is one huge rotating door that recycles politicians, corporate execs and banking elite. The sole purpose of this excercise is the continuation of a system built to enslave the have nots.. The human race WILL NEVER prosper as a whole as long as "money" is focal point. This promotes greed and compitetion and ultimately produces the results that we are seeing today.

So what is the remedy to this situation? Elect new officials? Write to your local congressman demanding accountability for those that have caused this problem? None of the above will work...

The only possible resolution is personal accountability & the desire to bring about a new level of consciousness within yourself and all others. We must as individuals begin to reject the current way of life and take it upon ourselves to get back to the basics. This includes the stopping of credit card purchases, moving our home and car loans from the large banking systems (Chase, Bank of America etc.) to small local banks and doing what we can to reduce our personal use of gas/oil.

We have to begin eliminating our dependency on the institutions that have put us in this situation (with our cooroperation). The eventual goal for mankind must be nothing short of complete removal of all financial institutions & monetary systems. We must strive to become a resource based civilization that promotes technology and the advancement of our species. This starts with taking care of those that are less fortunate and need help. The playing field has to even out across the board with no person left behind. Next time you come across someone that needs help let compassion guide your actions and let judgement fall to the wayside.

Better times are coming, if we really want them to...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

Why? Why would you be optimistic and why would you believe any of these nationalizations stop when Bush exits office? Pelosi and Reid were equally involved in creating the bailout, Paulson & Bernanke have already been reported to remain in their positions following the switch to the Obama regime, and most importantly, Obama, himself, approved vocally and adamntly of the bailout plan... going so far as to chatise his followers who were grumbling about it, saying it was the patriotic thing to do to accept it.

We just elected a complete continuation of our prior corporate economic ass kissing policy, only this time there's absolutely ZERO checks and balances because Pelosi & Reid have majority rule AND the flipping party line holder sitting in the Oval Office. Think TSHTF the past two years when everything went to hell and the economy shattered? Wait and see how many bags of manure fly now that they rule all.

I very much agree that one-party government is bad for the country (left or right wing) as we saw from 2001-2006, now we're going to "flip the plays" again, sort of like an equal but opposite political ideology.

Regarding oil prices, I agree with you guys that some people see it as a good sign but as we know, it just represents contraction of the economy; and we're still getting mugged as prices at the pump should be much lower than they are relative to the price of a barrel of oil (hence recent record oil industry profits).

At the very least I think we ought to start investing again in infrastructure and technology like most other advanced Western nations, employing our own citizens only. Remember when we led the world in technology and producing great products and unemployment was rarely a concern?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisAgain
At the very least I think we ought to start investing again in infrastructure and technology like most other advanced Western nations, employing our own citizens only. Remember when we led the world in technology and producing great products and unemployment was rarely a concern?

Yes America was once the leader of the world, but the policies of corporate ridden governments had corroded the industrial base of the nation.

We can not stop the leaching of Americas left over businesses because is policies that are enacted right now that favor outsourcing.

Free trade is killing America.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Funny how it only took the average American 16 years to realize Ross Perot was right, isn't it? Of course that giant bubble of false wealth that was manufactured over said average American's head during the first 12 of those 16 years certainly helped ensure the rose colored glasses remained firmly on their heads until the final pieces were put into place.

I'm still absolutely aghast at how dumb everyone was. Anyone who built wealth during the second half of the 90's and then saw Enron crumple based on a litany of false wealth, yet still believed "No, that can't happen to me... that problem was only directed around the poor schmucks that were "Enron Millionares."" alongside anyone who was dumb enough to accept tens of thousands of dollars in credit card, artificial "wealth" or take a hundreds of thousands of dollar mortgage on a home worth less than half that that never stopped to say "Hmmm... what happens when the day comes when I have to repay this enormous debt I'm racking up?" should feel like complete asses by now. (sorry for the huge run-on sentence there.) Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that everyone is getting screwed over this whole mess just so the executives who were as crooked and shifty as the general population was stupid can get their mega millions, I'd say just let the stupid fools go down with the ship for being so dumb. Unfortunately, my tax dollars have already been stolen to make sure the corporate suits remain sated, so it's a little difficult to look the imbeciles in the eye and explain why they don't deserve an assist after we gave a huge one to the bastards that bilked them.

ARGH! You know, I got completely plastered/toasted on Tuesday night. Not out of any sort of joy or celebration, but because I needed to escape from the unbelievable weight reality was crushing me under. The scarey thing is the more I think about this bailout and this economy, the heavier THAT weight feels to me. I'm out of shoulder space for weights, world. Please stop piling them onto my back now.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Sad that Enron was just the beginning of the end of the America illusion of wealth and prosperity and nobody really took it seriously.

Those closed doors meeting between Enron CEOs and Cheney should have been a big red flag, but we were too much into the political bashing game to see the truth.

And still we are so much into the bashing today that we are becoming blind of what is still going on behind the American tax payers back.

But I remember when the pro free trade and proclaimers of Americas great economy in ATS used to bash those like us that told them over and over that the American economy was an illusion of prosperity prop by the manipulation of federal interest rates, they laughed at us and told us that we didn't know what we were talking about.

I wonder where they have gone now because here in ATS they are not more.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I was one of them. Not so much on the free trade issue, as I have never liked NAFTA, but I bought into the idea that we're America and our economy will always be a heartbeat away from booming, but miles away from disaster.
I say that with more than a little shame and embarassment.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

No you are not one of them, my friend I remember their posts very well and you are not one of them

Yes when you have the President itself telling how great the American nation is and how strong the economy was that alone gave hopes and the feeling of security to many.

But when you started to see the figures in papers and comparing that to what was going on at local level it didn't match, too bad that it took this long and this hard to see the truth.

But still America was once a great economy and could be once again if we get rid of our government of the corruption and dirt parading themselves in the halls of the congress buying our for the people congressmen.

I remember about two or three years ago that I opened a thread on Who is lobbying for America when I started to talk about the history of corporate America and how it took over the government and the wrongs of that I cause quite a stir among members that believed Capitalism was the best thing next to apple pie.

What many didn't understood is that yes Capitalism is great but when it gets corrupted look what it does a great nation like ours.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Is it really so bad to let the system collapse? I know a lot of people will be inconvenienced by it, but ultimately, wouldn't it be better to let it collapse and start over than to maintain the superannuating, obsolete, corrupt, ever-weakening system as it currently exists? Nothing lasts forever and what goes up must come down. So why should we be any different? I read a book by Guy Odom who posited that civilizations pass through roughly 10 generation cycles of about 250-300 years. We've had a good run. Maybe we'll collapse or maybe we'll find the balls to build something even better.

My hope would be that something better could come out of the ashes. Even if the world collapses into depression, what of it? It won't be the end of the world, just a change of fortune.

Enjoy-Polarbear6

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join