It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What This Election Revealed To Me

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
reply to post by jjkenobi

...and yet they still didn't run away with it like everyone thought they would.

That's my point.

And that leads into another point --- how much did Obama benefit from good timing? I think Hillary Clinton would have won this election over John McCain. I think Al Gore or John Kerry could have won this election. Pretty much any Democratic candidate could have won this election when the opponent is someone that half the conservatives in the country don't agree with.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Maybe everbody was just jealous of the tax cuts the rich got these past 8 years. I'll point you to this chart img392.imageshack.us... .

Also what gains didn't the democrats make? Alaska voter turnout was less than 4 years ago... yet there Governor was on the ballot and Voter Turnout was up everywhere else. So that has come into question and is being investigated. Al Franken has a 200 vote difference between him and the republican he ran against, so there's a recount and and it could easily go in Frankins Favor. And I think if the democratic party could pull together and try to support the democrat in Georgia, especially Obama, they could pick up taht seat as well.

If you followed the polling site fivethirtyeight.com . You would know that 57 seats was what was expected. And it looks like it's going to be 58. The Democrats gained 19 seats, with 8 still in question. Giving them 254 for now. The Republican Revolution only had 230(!!!) seats in congress.

So tell me again how this didn't turn out as expected? It turned out pretty much exactly how I expected it.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoalPoster
I've only done a bit of looking into this, but it would appear from a cursory view that much of Obama's support came from urban areas whereas the rural areas of many states seemed to swing toward McCain.

If you look at the map of North Carolina, you can see McCain red all over the place with Obama blue only in the areas where the state's largest three cities are located.

Anyone find anything on this . . . a breakdown by urban vs. rural.

If it does end up being rural vs urban, it would be interesting to disect the hows and whys this happened.

Having lived in Charlotte NC from 2001 - 2004 I can certainly attest to the fact the Charlotte is not a Southern city in the traditional sense. Charlotte rose out of nothingness in the Early to mid 90's and has become a melting pot of transplants from the big cities in the North East.

They all followed the money that came with the big banks HQ'd there. Raleigh,Durham, Chapel Hill (RTP) is more of the same only with more transplants from the left coast.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Silly OP
Barack Obama recieved 65,098,323 votes.
More than any presdiential candidate in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the United states.

McCain recieved 57,155,296, this is less than either candidate in 2004.

www.infoplease.com...

And do you even want to discuss how he changed the electoral map. NM, VA, OH, PA etc..

I agree with Virginia's Tom Davis saying that "the Republican brand is in the trash can...if we were dog food, they would take us off the shelf."

*I think we desperatly need a healthy GOP. A two party system is great thing and I am elated that the GOP will need to do some serious soul searching...much needed. Where is the party that Abraham Lincoln built?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
If the consensus is that things are in the crapper right now, why exactly is conserving it a good thing?

Even the act of restoring things to old republican conservatism, would by its nature be progressive and therefore more liberal.

[edit on 8-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join