It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am white, and cannot voice my opinion about Obama

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

Ok, it's like this.

Either everyone and I mean EVERYONE is going to post on topic and stop the uncivil posts or Posting Bans will be handed out and the thread closed.

Last Chance.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by Sliick

Post the entire statement please

so what you're telling me, o great moderator of ATS, is if I use the "N word" in a joking fashion and say "just kidding" it's not offensive?

Originally posted by Grand Puba
1st of all "CRACKER" is a word that rich whites were calling poor whites long before blacks picked up on the term!

Blacks, as you call them, still picked it up. It started as a class term, but things change. It's now a racial slur. Ex: you don't hear Bill Gates calling Joe Plumber a "cracker"

Edit: just read the mod post...

TO BE CLEAR: I am not trying to be uncivil. I am merely pointing out the double standards abound with racism. Not just here on ATS.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Sliick]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You can voice your displeasure about anything; that is your right. And, other people can voice their opinion about your displeasure; that is their right. That doesn't mean that you have to give a flying rat's backend about what they think of you and/or your opinion.

Obama was elected. He is our President-elect, and whether we like it or not, whether we like him or not, we owe it to our country to give him a chance.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Because you know bill gates personally right? And of course the meaning of words relys on bill gates and not websters! LOL!

reply to post by Sliick

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by knows_but_doesnt
Welcome to a new era of racism. Since Obama has been elected, I cannot question, comment, or have an opinion about him without being called "cracker, whitey, slanted, etc."

My advice is to hold back for a bit and wait. We still have 2 months until he actually becomes President. He'll have plenty of opportunity to gain your criticism by next December and when everyone realizes that Obama isn't going to run through the streets handing out $100 bills to everyone you'll have lots of support from every race backing your criticism.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Most of the midwest didn't know mccain's policies and sarah palin definitely didn't know and she was his running mate!

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
Move to the midwest, here no one will call you names or critique you for making statements about the mans policies or ideas. One state here even voted republican in all counties. The argument that he hasn't made it into office yet is foolish and very sheeple in thought. Come on the man has posted his policies, and started to appoint his cabinet. NOW is the time to voice your opinion on these matters and hope to get the public involved in combatting those policies that you don't agree on. ANYONE who says you don't have the basis to critique his policies yet probably voted for Obama for the wrong reasons. Flame away but it is the truth. By saying that there is nothing to critique, you are stating that you know of no stance, controversial or not, that Obama has taken. I find it very disconcerting that out of the many people I talk to, most don't even know the basic frame work of Obama's policy structure. Most people have no clue what they voted into office except they know they voted in a black man. Prove me wrong if you can. So give the OP a break.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by knows_but_doesnt

If anyone feels that they cannot speak because someone may commit violence against them, weigh the options. If you are simply not strong enough in your argument and this dissuades you from speaking, tough luck. I have been blasted by not only strangers but close family and friends for the last 7 years arguing vs GW/Guantanamo/Patriot Act/Iraq/Albert Gonzalez/Scooter Libby/Crawford ranch - vacation capital of the world/Osama Bin who?/Haliburton/Heck of a job there Brownie yadayadayada and so what? If you can articulate an argument dont be such a wimp. No one is stopping you from doing anything. And are your opinions solely based upon his candidacy? He hasn't done anything yet has he? Oh, yeah, and where is that guy acting as President, what' his name again? Where is he?

ColoradoJens

[edit on 7-11-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by knows_but_doesnt
And has anyone else received the text or email stating "All white people now report to the cotton fields"? I always thought that white people were the ones that were racist. Today, I know I was wrong.

wtf? I received that same message Tuesday night or early Wed morning. I thought it was my brother in law who sent it, but I had so many others that I didnt really check. I think it is just a joke, but it's gone so viral that it's everywhere.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
'' black - muslim '' that sort of garbage comes into it, your debate goes out the window.

I get the muslim bit but black? Really? Why can't I call him black? I get called white and no one cares, but call a black person 'black', and we hassled like nobodies business. Where is the equality? It's old world racism in reverse!

[If that's not what you meant, I'm sorry. Just consider my point unrelated.]

I've been hearing people say that because Obama got in, we must be seeing the decline of racism. WTF?! This has been the most racist election I have ever seen. What percent of black people voted for Obama? What percent of them voted for him because of the colour of his skin?

[edit on 11/7/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
'' black - muslim '' that sort of garbage comes into it, your debate goes out the window.

I get the muslim bit but black? Really? Why can't I call him black? I get called white and no one cares, but call a black person 'black', and we hassled like nobodies business. Where is the equality? It's old world racism in reverse!

[If that's not what you meant, I'm sorry. Just consider my point unrelated.]

I've been hearing people say that because Obama got in, we must be seeing the decline of racism. WTF?! This has been the most racist election I have ever seen. What percent of black people voted for Obama? What percent of them voted for him because of the colour of his skin?

Do you know what % of whites voted for mccain just to keep a black from winning?

Kill that noise dude!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The fact that the government was and still is over 90% white is racism!

No it isn't. That fact is circumstantial. If, however, that is the case because of the actions or behaviour of the white people in that 90% then it is racism.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Do you know what % of whites voted for mccain just to keep a black from winning?

I'm not saying that's not the case. I'm not pretending whites are all not racist anymore. I'm saying that Obama being voted in doesn't represent equality. That nothing has changed.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I had posted once previously but I had to add - you do see the irony of posting this opinion thread about not being able to voice your opinion, yes? Again, I simply ask, who/what/ is stopping you?

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
*snip*

here we go with the mud-slinging.

I am happy that America can vote in a Black president. HOORAH! They just could have picked a better man for the job. That's just my opinion, and YES I will give him a chance before anything else.

As for your comment on reparations, it IS aimed at whites. Who owned the slaves? Whites. The government is who you want money from. If Blacks want reparations for the years of slavery, I want reparations for my ancestors that fought and died for one of the causes of the civil war. (Including Lincoln) FYI slavery was not the main reason for the civil war, though it was a very important issue. State rights vs Federal rights was the main cause/issue. (most of the north owned slaves, including Lincoln. Just in a different fashion)

The fact that 90% of government is white does not constitute racism. However, claiming this and that is racist, is racist in itself. O joy double standards again

One Black president means a lot. Especially to me. (I am white) I am VERY happy that a Black man can become president. It shows to me that we are willing to look past race for our leaders. Unfortunately, it seems that some of us cannot.

Mod Edit: Removed offensive quote that is no longer on the board.

[edit on 11/7/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

The fact that the government was and still is over 90% white is racism!

No it isn't. That fact is circumstantial. If, however, that is the case because of the actions or behaviour of the white people in that 90% then it is racism.

...And the circumstance is racism! The civil rights bill was passed in 1963-5 and the US is how old?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

So the fact that the US government wasn't inclusive is black peoples fault?

We don't blame white people, we blame the government! Sorry the government was racist, but we wouldn't have a case otherwise, right?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

I assume if someone calls you "whitey" then they are not white themselves, and you are not black (or caucausion and African-American if ATS wishes me PC).

I don't really see African-American as opposed to black as politically correct. Not all blacks are African-American, Jamaican-Americans consider themselves black also(any that I have spoken with, anyways). Also, all of my black friends and classmates (not just people my age(20), I go to a college that caters to adults who want a "fresh start") say they identify themselves as black, and think the whole "African-American is politically correct" is completely moronic.

On the topic, I wouldn't worry about voicing your opinions, try pointing out that your opinions have nothing to do with race, and if they are ignorant enough to deny this, then they shouldn't be worth your time.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Stand up and speak your mind and quite making excuses.
I don’t care if you like him or not - but don’t use excuses that you *can’t*.

Giving in to that line a bologna just gives all this racists crudolla more power - so - you’re supporting racism whether you want to or not - by not speaking your mind one way or another.

UGH!
The guy isn’t even sworn in yet and people are already flipping out.

...taps...

[edit on 7-11-2008 by silo13]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join