It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medicine: New jab can stop arthritis in its tracks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
[Yahoo News]

A monthly injection could offer new hope to many arthritis sufferers, stopping the crippling disease in its tracks.

The antibody drug tocilizumab can halt the disease for around half of all sufferers and is particularly effective if administered in the early stages of the disease.

Nothing can be done to reverse the damage caused by rheumatoid arthritis (RA), but the new injection can prevent it from getting any worse.

Professor Paul Emery from the University of Leeds said: "Results of this pivotal study convincingly demonstrate that tocilizumab can effectively and rapidly diminish the painful and debilitating effects of rheumatoid arthritis.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the info.
I know several folks who will probably benefit from this drug.
(my Mom for one)
Good Find !!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Yes indeed. Most of the older people in my family suffers from this, so eventually I probably will to.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'll keep that drug on my reference files... and thanks for the news. My daughter suffers from arthritis.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
That's great news, but it's nothing new. Enbrel and other biologicals are out on the market now that stop the progression of RA and other rheumatic forms of arthritis. Unfortunately they do not make it easy to obtain these drugs (at least in the US they don't).

Thanks for the info, it'll be filed away for sure

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Thanks for the info Good Wolf; I don't know if these drugs fall under the same classification (more diggin needed) but some interesting info nonetheless.

According to study results published in the September 2007 issue of Arthritis & Rheumatism, the use of biologic drugs to treat rheumatoid arthritis increases the risk of developing skin cancer, including melanoma. No other malignancy was associated with the use of biologic drugs.

www.arthritis.about.com...

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I do not trust immunosuppressive drugs. This leads to other problems in themselves. I have arthritis myself. If you have ever seen the boy in the bubble then you know what not having an immune system can be like. In this case they give you no protective bubble, you just hope you do not get an infection of some crazy fungus decides to grow on you.

Having looked into arthritis myself and trying to understand why the body attacks itself I ran across some information regarding the immune system. It turns out the immune system can produce ozone in fighting off disease or other unwanted guests. This is an immune system response. Ozone is a corrosive made up of 3 unstable oxygen molecules always vibrating. Imagine it being like sandpaper on a microscopic level. My guess is it is used for breaking down cell walls of pathogens. It's like the nuclear option for the immune system.

Having discovered this article I tried an experiment on myself. I thought how can I stabilize the ozone eating away at my body? I thought about CFC's because it is known for attacking our Ozone layer. I looked at the chemistry of it and realized it was a chlorine molecule that was attaching to the Ozone itself. I thought to myself maybe my freezer has some that might be floating around in there. Being lighter then air I decided to use a tube for gathering any CFC's that may have collected at the top of the freezer.

To my amazement the pain in my neck from the AS(arthritis) had melted away and heat was generated. It worked! It was so shocking in it's effect I then realized, "They already Know About It". If I could figure this out not being a scientist or chemist then they surely know about it and are doing nothing.

Here is the link that started it all and led me down a rabbit hole I will never forget and the story is so much deeper that I will not go there out of fear for my family.

www.scripps.edu...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hi CloaknDagger
Very interested in your experiment - can you expand on this? What size tube, how long in freezer, how it was then ingested etc.
Thanks
A Long-time sufferer
Ttony

MBF

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
My father has been bed bound for a little over three weeks now from arthritis. He has just started taking Relafen and says that it is helping some.

top topics

join