It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in 2003 A comet almost 2x the size of Jupiter !!!?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I love the internet... with a little research you can debunk any would be conspiracy. It is very simple Nassim Haramein and others are just wrong. As was noted above the comet's corona appeared as twice as large as the planet Jupiter, its mass was not. See www.gulfcoastnews.com... for details.

The comet was called NEAT and passed through our solar system in Feburary 2003.

Here is another link that even talks about the so called cover-up. www.space.com...

Truth is Nassim has some very interesting thoeries about the nature of our universe but they unfortunately will not get noticed as long as he does not stay grounded in the facts; which he seems to overlook for the dramatic and $ in sales.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
he did say it was a comet...so what are you debunking exactly....I am a little confused

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by iasenko

Yes, I have a channel on youtube:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ZenThalysis

Hi Zen,
actually, Jupiter is not a 'gas giant'.
Many are excused for thinking this, and in fact the Astronomical community did hold this as plausible until in 1994, comet shoemaker-levi 9 tore apart and impacted on to the planets surface.
Please see this link:

There are some fantastic photographs around showing the surface of jupiter, beneath its once thought impenetrable clouds.Have a look and tell me what you think; if interested I am sure I've seen other photos that do show some surface detail ; did a bit of browsing and this is all I could come up with for the moment.

Anyway back to the OP, I dont think that it is likely an object that big would be able to pass through the solar system without being detected by thousands of amateur astronomers combing the skies nightly.....it been said on this thread before.

[edit on 9/6/2009 by KRISKALI777]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Can you link me to anything about Jupiter not being a gas giant but instead terrestrial? It'd be appreciated.

[edit on 2009/9/6 by Aeons]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Actually the comet was called 17/P HOLMES. And the year in question was 2007. No other Object in the Solar System has been dimensionally bigger than Jupiter since HOLMES exploded. Infact when it did the gas cloud was bigger than the sun (although the Coma was still intact and no bigger than 5 miles wide.)
I do a lot of Astronomy in my 1200/90 Telescope and have seen about 11 Comets in the past 7 years, I remember this one well as it was easily visible to the naked eye and made headlines as it was almost coming to November at the time when the Comet suddenly exploded from Mag +15 to Mag +4 overnight.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I saw the SOHO video of the comet as well it was supposedly in Feb. 2003. The comet was huge, thats all I know. I'm going to research it.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The OP is misleading.

The 2003 comet and 2007 Comet Holmes (and many other comets for that matter) may be twice the size of Jupiter (or bigger), but that's including the comet "coma", which is the big ball of gas and dust surrounding the comet.

The comet nucleus itself may only be 5 or 10 km in diameter (which is a tiny spec compared to Jupiter), but the cloud of gas and dust around a comet could get quite large, even larger than Jupiter -- and that is not at all uncommon.

What I'm saying is that this 2003 comet and comet Holmes may have had comas that were slightly larger than average, but they were not that abnormal...and their nucleus' (the solid part of a comet) were still extremely minuscule compared to Jupiter.

[edit on 9/7/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Who will admit to flagging this rubbish?!!

Any Jupiter sized or greater object such as a brown dwarf or planet would be visible brighter than Jupiter - and you can see Jupiter in the evening as the brightest object in the sky after the Moon!!!

A comet's coma is the atmosphere of the comet and is made up of fine particles of dust and gas. It's mass is negligible - both mass, composition as well as size are important factors. An analogy to the OP would be like saying a giant balloon is more harmful than a falling smaller piece of metal.

Some people are just silly, and will never use reason or common sense. Comets and other solar system objects aren't hidden by science, you can see them thru' telescopes. It's just pure ignorance and stupidity that leads to these types of conspiracy theories.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by john124]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Is this something to do with this post?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
Is this something to do with this post?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

Not really!

This thread's OP is misrepresenting a comet's coma.

The thread you linked to is discussing galaxy collisions and how stars can end up in different galaxies over billions of years.

Neither are particularly new insights. Cometary coma's have been known for decades, and the other thread confirms various theories of galaxy mergers, and heavier elements found here have originated from cores of older stars that went supernovae billions of years ago.

Nothing to do with a brown dwarf hitting us in 2012
and actually reality is much more interesting than a conspiracy theory.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
...Nothing to do with a brown dwarf hitting us in 2012
and actually reality is much more interesting than a conspiracy theory.

I was thinking the same thing.

It seems the very interesting part of that story got glossed over in that thread -- and that is the fact that the star in question had no elements heavier than hydrogen and helium.

Stars in our galaxy are multi-generational -- i.e., they are the great great great great grandchildren of very earlier stars that were also devoid of heavy elements, like that rogue star in that post.

Heavy elements such as carbon and heavy metals such as iron (and heavier) are only made in stars' supernovae -- and the more generations of supernovae, the heavier the elements that exist. Each successive generation of star creates heavier elements upon going nova.

For example, our solar system and our sun are rich in heavy elements, meaning that there were probably several generations of stars and supernovae that occurred over to create the raw materials that made our solar system. The materials that make up our solar system must have come from a few generations of supernova.

Carl Sagan said it best when he said "We are made of star-stuff", which literally means we humans (our carbon, zinc, the iron in our blood) were created when a star went supernovae billions of years ago. The iron and other elements that make you were once deep inside a star.

Almost all of the stars in our galaxy are like ours -- rich in heavy elements. The rogue star ATS member vital overdose mentioned is devoid of these heavy elements, therefore it probably came from elsewhere -- a galaxy where star formation is not as robust as our own galaxy.

THAT was the most interesting item in that article.

[edit on 9/7/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That was most interesting, thanks for that

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

No problem

I always thought that was one of the most interesting aspects of Carl Sagan's famous truism "We are made of star-stuff" -- and most people overlook it.

They hear words of that quote but don't quite realize the enormity of the meaning.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by iasenko
"A comet almost 2x the size of Jupiter."

I would think an object that large would have been seen my lots of astronomers and we'd have heard about it LONG before now. without a telescope.

People knew about Jupiter (minus it's moons) before the telescope was even invented. So, something that big would presumably be visible to the naked eye.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
reply to post by ZenThalysis

Hi Zen,
actually, Jupiter is not a 'gas giant'.
Many are excused for thinking this, and in fact the Astronomical community did hold this as plausible until in 1994, comet shoemaker-levi 9 tore apart and impacted on to the planets surface.
Please see this link:

There are some fantastic photographs around showing the surface of jupiter, beneath its once thought impenetrable clouds.Have a look and tell me what you think; if interested I am sure I've seen other photos that do show some surface detail ; did a bit of browsing and this is all I could come up with for the moment.
[edit on 9/6/2009 by KRISKALI777]

This is from the site you linked to:

Seismic waves

As predicted beforehand, the collisions generated enormous seismic waves which swept across the planet at speeds of 450 km/s (280 mi/s) and were observed for over two hours after the largest impacts. The waves were thought to be travelling within a stable layer acting as a waveguide, and some scientists believed the stable layer must lie within the hypothesised tropospheric water cloud. However, other evidence seemed to indicate that the cometary fragments had not reached the water layer, and the waves were instead propagating within the stratosphere.

Doesn't sound much like Jupiter has anything solid to hit, and the image isn't of Jupiter's surface, but one of the dark smudges, the perturbations, caused by the shoemaker-levi comet impacting it. And before you ask what it impacted, if not the surface, this is from the same site:

Astronomers did not observe large amounts of water following the collisions, and later impact studies found that fragmentation and destruction of the cometary fragments in an 'airburst' probably occurred at much higher altitudes than previously expected, with even the largest fragments being destroyed when the pressure reached 250 kPa (36 psi), well above the expected depth of the water layer. The smaller fragments were probably destroyed before they even reached the cloud layer.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
don't look NOW , but is that it over my left shoulder?!!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
[edit on 15-9-2009 by radarloveguy]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
My personal experience. February 2003, Vancouver BC Canada. Some time in the early AM I was smoking a joint with my friend in his back yard. All of a sudden the sky and ground lit up in with this vibrant wavy kaleidoscope like color. For about 10 seconds or so, the night became brighter then day, and I could not escape the eery sensation of a strange force being put on me. The bright colors and sensation were so fantastic and beyond description. It did not make a sound.

When it was finally over and the night returned, me and my friend were so taken back and in shock by this experience, that we must have stood in the silence of absolute awe for at least a minute or so. We both expected to die right there and then. How intense it was, particularly this tingling sensation that it offered during the experience. What was it? HARRP was our most obvious conclusion.

"No mother, this was not the aura borealis!!"

A massive object passed through our solar system, and its tail hit out atmosphere. Seems most plausible to me, though I dont know how lucky that makes us.

Personally I enjoy the more fantastic of explanations, as I always do, and would even quote them as theory. It was by far the most intense experience I have ever had.

Thinks you guys are to hard on the op

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join