It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in 2003 A comet almost 2x the size of Jupiter !!!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
If the makers of the video are going to talk about Nibiru, they should at least read Zecharia Sitchin's books. Nibiru is not expected to visit Earth until @ 2600AD.

People telling other people to read Sitchin before quoting should follow their own advise

I shall Quote Sitchin....

Nibiru settled into a clockwise orbit (equal to 3,600 orbits of Earth
around the Sun). Nibiru stabilized into a clockwise orbit, equal to
3,600 orbits of Earth around the Sun until 10, 900 B.C.E., when
Nibiru arrived earlier, due to increasing drift from Solaris of
Uranus. Uranus' gravity sped Nibiru's orbit. As a result of this
close encounter between Nibiru and Uranus, one of Nibiru's moons,
Miranda, was captured by and became a moon of Uranus as Nibiru and
Uranus pulled at each other. From 10,000B.C.E. on, Nibiru's
revolution sped to 3.450 Earth years; which makes Nibiru's next
return 2900A.D. rather than 2012 as predicated on the earlier 3600-
year orbit [Sitchin, Z., 2007, The End of Days, pages 315 - 317].

Plus, as previous posters have noted, an object twice the size of Jupiter would be extremely noticeable. Jupiter itself is very bright in the night sky, so imagine a much closer object twice the size out there.

I DID imagine it and I DID see it... quite impressive Comet 17P/Holmes Oct 2007 got twice as big as Jupiter within 24 hours and then bigger than the sun. Was in the sky over a week if you looked North

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

It's complete bollocks that something twice the size of Jupiter could even lazily "drift through" the solar system in just one year - take Neptune for example, it takes 165 years to orbit the Sun.

'bollocks' huh? You forget something... size does not necessarily mean mass... Holmes was indeed bigger than Jupiter after it expanded in 24 hours..

But like any other comet , ther was little mass, just a huge 'cloud' of debris glowing brightly

You guys need to get out more... Its pretty sad when you start debunking REAL astronomy

:shk:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Hi found this on BBC news about the comet, it does not say it's the size of two jupiter but that it is very large.

BBC News Comet 2002 V1

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I wasn't starting a "thing" over this, and I did know about the big dust comet.

I was talking in terms of mass, not appearance.

Settle zorgon, settle.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
As has been said in posts above, it is not unusual for a comet AND ITS COMA to be larger than Jupiter.

The "coma" around the comet is the very sparse gas and dust that surrounds to comet and usually grows as the comet gets closer to the sun and "heats up". The comet nucleus -- the "solid part" of the comet -- is usaully much smaller, from a few hundred meters to a few kilometers.

Comet Holmes last year was described by scientists as being BIGGER THAN THE SUN -- and this is an accurate statement, if the coma is also to be considered. It IS a fact that comet Holmes -- for a breif period of time -- was the largest object of any kind, incluing the Sun, in our solar sytem.

BUT, even though Holmes' coma was bigger than the sun, it's nucleus (solid part) was only about 3.5 km in diameter.

I suspect that this 2003 comet -- while its coma was larger than Jupiter -- had a nucleus of only a few km.

The bottom line here is this:.
The size is not unusual at all for a comet and its coma.

[edit on 11/8/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by iasenko

"Source: YouTube"

There's your problem right there mate.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Gone

Genetic fallacy!
Don't criticise the source - interrogate the information.

YouTube is as valuable a source as any. It contains both credible and unreliable information. Unlike most mainstream sources it is (currently) largely unmoderated. To that extent, it upholds no particular agenda like most mainstream media.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilAxis

Yeah, you're right, but come on now...like ATS doesn't have a rash of folks posting ridiculous youtube videos claiming they're true. I think this falls into that category. It's just preposterous.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilAxis

The same can be said for Wikipedia.

It is true that Wikipedia articles can be altered by ANYONE, and for that it get criticized as a reliable source...but the one good thing about Wikipedia is that a list of sources are included at the end of each article that can be scrutinized and verified.

When I go to wikipedia, one of the first things I do is scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the sources.

Wikipedia CAN be a valuable resource if used correctly.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Gone
"Source: YouTube"
There's your problem right there mate.

Nothing wrong with youtube mate... only in the choice of videos picked

Like this for example...

A joint Russian Energia/American Boeing space launch platform that is mobile at sea...

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I love the internet... with a little research you can debunk any would be conspiracy. It is very simple Nassim Haramein and others are just wrong. As was noted above the comet's corona appeared as twice as large as the planet Jupiter, its mass was not. See www.gulfcoastnews.com... for details.

The comet was called NEAT and passed through our solar system in Feburary 2003.

Here is another link that even talks about the so called cover-up. www.space.com...

Truth is Nassim has some very interesting thoeries about the nature of our universe but they unfortunately will not get noticed as long as he does not stay grounded in the facts; which he seems to overlook for the dramatic and $ in sales.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Wtf is wrong with you people? Nassim doesn't even have anything for sale on his website...

He didn't even have a website when he was doing his lectures in 2003-2004..

His theories about our universe and its foundations is very interesting, to say the least.

And at the end, at least he is doing something.. While you just read what he says and comment about it.. Be responsible, get up and do something..

The difference between you and Nassim, is that YOU are commenting on what HE said.. not the other way around.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It is just proof that somone can be brilliant and understand so much and yet have their religious superstitions distroy any chance they have at understanding what they have found.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

twice the size of jupiter? ... i think we would notice a giant rock out there without media telling us... jupiter can be seen with a telescope...

Actually, Jupiter can be seen with the naked eye. Right now it's the third-brightest thing in the night sky after the Moon and Venus.

So yes, we'd notice a rock (or anything else) that big. Just look up on any clear night and you'd see it if it hadn't already set.

Why is this thread not in the 2012 bin, I ask myself... hardly a topic for Space Exploration. :shk:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Almost makes you believe Planet X did pass us by whenever that was it was supposed to pass us by huh...
Scary stuff indeed.
How is it possible a whole world of people, stargazers could not have seen this?
Don’t tell me it’s possible the sight was *shielded* from us?
Oh this opens just such a huge can of worms - but is way cool none the less!

Great find - S&F!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Almost makes you believe Planet X did pass us by whenever that was it was supposed to pass us by huh...
Scary stuff indeed.
How is it possible a whole world of people, stargazers could not have seen this?

We did see it, the OP's information is completely off. It was present in 2007, not 2003 (assuming it's a loose reference to Holmes which was 2x the size of jupiter at one point but kept growing). I know because I was one of the stargazers who not only saw it, but photographed it as well.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
As I said upthread, it is not unusual at all for a comet AND IT'S COMA to be larger than Jupiter. That's not the same as saying the comet's nucleus is larger than Jupiter.

As ngchunter said, in 2007 comet Holmes grew to be over twice the size of Jupiter (even though it's nucleus -- the "rocky" part -- is only about 3 km). Twice the size of Jupiter is large, but not uncommon.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Absolutely right. I remember the first time I calculated the approximate size of a comet's coma from one of my pictures (of machholz some years ago) with some simplified trig and was shocked that it dwarfed jupiter. The first time you find that out is often surprising since it comes from such a relatively tiny rock.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

The comet was in a coma?

Just kidding, hadn't heard that term before, had to look it up.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
It is just proof that somone can be brilliant and understand so much and yet have their religious superstitions distroy any chance they have at understanding what they have found.

What religious superstitions? He explained the ARC as being a capcitor and the star of David as a Geometric symbol hidden inside kabbalistic text.
I don't see where he was religious....if you don't mind my saying so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join