It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird reentry footage???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I came across this footage whilst looking for something entirely different. It appears to be a re-entry (space junk), but there might be a small possibility that it's a meteor also.

I was wondering if anyone here might have seen footage like this before or is aware of any reentries that happened when the footage was taken, and can perhaps ID it? The poster says the footage is from March this year.

Here's the footage:
www.metacafe.com...

[edit on 6-11-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
First time seeing that.Did i make a turn toward the camera or is that what a meteor or space junk does before it breaks up?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wow, UFO or not, that is pretty sweet looking whatever it is

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tricky63

Depending on which part of the footage you mean, at least the first part of the footage is pretty standard behavior for a meteor or reentry, but after that, it seems to get very unusual (although still not unusual enough to say UFO IMO). The most interesting part however seems to be out of focus, when he says "fireball".

Meteors and space-junk can certainly do lots of unusual things - see my thread about it over on the Aliens and UFO's forum if you haven't already: www.abovetopsecret.com...
As well as the two threads about Taurids and Perseids that are in this forum right now

[edit on 6-11-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

All I can say is, WOW!
amazing footage. Just a few ideas maybe of what it could have been!
Space shuttle reentry? Nasa space capsule? Dummy warhead reentry?
Exterior fuel tank from the shuttle? Old satellite? I doubt its an "alien" UFO, but this is pretty freaking cool!

[edit on 11/6/2008 by GenRadek]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't know what I enjoyed more - the thing burning up or the verbage from the guy behind the camera...

I guess my vote goes to the object as that was quite a site - and it did look like the thing kinda changed course...you could see the tip right before it breaks up...looked like a shuttlecock used in badminton right before that!

Get it - "shuttle"cock...o.k. it's not that clever...

s & f

grammar/content edit!

[edit on 11/6/2008 by chapter29]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

It's certainly not a shuttle reentry. You can clearly see pieces of material breaking away, so that would have been another lost shuttle. I think anything making a "planned" reentry can be ruled out for this reason, although a de-orbited satellite is still a possibility.

Having watched and thought a bit more about the footage, my best guess would be some kind of a fuel tank re-entry - it seems to be a fairly non-complex object... in the first part, the outer layers get stripped away, and when you see it imitating a shuttle-cock just before throwing off it's "skirt", that's probably the last of the "outer layer".

Under this outer layer there seems to be a much more resistant layer, possibly some kind of ceramic heat shield, since at this point it becomes significantly dimmer, the material resisting ablation initially, but finally giving up and breaking up violently to expose the contents of the tank (the final fireball), once the last shielding has gone.

It's just speculation though...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This looks like a rocket launch to me. The end looks like a classic engine cut-off. There was an Atlas 5 launch from Vandenberg on March 13, 2008 at 0300 hours.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

I think you could be right IAttackPeople.

Thanks for finding that info.

I'm going to try to find some similar footage to compare it to...

top topics

join