It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's first real challenge: China, free trade and currency policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

China said Thursday it hoped the United States would adhere to free trade under Barack Obama, while defending exchange rate policies criticised by the president-elect during his campaign.
"We will continue to follow a mutually beneficial foreign policy, we believe in free trade, and we believe America also believes in free trade," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang said.

"We hope that the policy of free trade will continue to be adhered to. We must prevent trade protectionism, which is no good for either side," he said, when asked if he thought Obama would be more protectionist.

Obama, who won the US presidential election Tuesday, said during his campaign that China's huge trade surplus with the United States was related to its manipulation of its currency.

Source: www.breitbart.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The overtones of China's message sound like a warning. I think this is going to be his first real foreign relations issue barring another terrorist attack.

Free trade has been an area that McCain accused Obama of flip-flopping and an area that Clinton herself made accusations against Obama for supporting NAFTA. During his campaign he took a hard line against NAFTA.

I see this as being his first REAL challenge, what do you think?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I could care less what your post has to say I'm taking up your quotes.
A) Our freedom is not given to us by our troops. It is given to us by our founding documents. You know those pieces of paper that all the politicians seem to be whiping there ass' with?
B) Whether you like it or not Obama is your president, so get used to it.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by djpaec]

new topics

join