It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
That's just it. Some of us know that the country WON'T succeed under this administration. It's not possible under the flawed principals which he was running on top of.

Maybe so, but I can't preemptively chalk his run as President up to a loss when he hasn't even started yet. That's the same thing people were doing to Bush 4 and 8 years ago.

That is why we remain divided. Some of us know that this administration will doom this country to further ruin and the rest don't care.

Hey, I fully acknowledge the fact that he could very well cause serious harm to the country. BUT, he hasn't yet.

You would expect the same fair treatment of McCain had he been elected wouldn't you?

[edit on 7-11-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

It's the policies, man. The issues, and the man sticks to the policies. There's not one policy on which he stands that is guaranteed to help this country. I do think we can all agree that some of Bush's policies were not good for the country, but you and I know that Bush wasn't responsible for EVERY ill this country had to stomach in the last 8 years the way the left keeps pitching.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Problem is I don't know what he really stands for.

Is he really behind all those ideas, or is it just pressure from the extreme left groups? We really don't know much about this guy at all.

Regardless, I'm not going to make an judgments one way or the other until I have something to go on. For now, he's the President, and he's got my support.

It won't take much for him to lose it though.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Intrepid, it's just so hard to support a guy who couldn't even get enough security clearance to be his own bodyguard.

Couldn't be an FBI agent.

Couldn't pass enough clearance to be in our military's special ops.

He's a turd. Polished, to be sure. Though you dress a turd in a fine silk sock with gold brocade, at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Reread the OP. This isn't about anyones qualifications, the decision has been made. From the OP:

What I'm not getting is that you guys are ALL Americans. The pendulem swings but the devisiveness remains even though there is no choice but to accept this until the next election day.

Again, this isn't about Obama or McCain, this is about the divide that has been manufactured amongst the American populous. I think that is a more serious topic than any candidate.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by dooper

Reread the OP. This isn't about anyones qualifications, the decision has been made. From the OP:

What I'm not getting is that you guys are ALL Americans. The pendulem swings but the devisiveness remains even though there is no choice but to accept this until the next election day.

Again, this isn't about Obama or McCain, this is about the divide that has been manufactured amongst the American populous. I think that is a more serious topic than any candidate.

Intrepid, people are answering you. Read between the lines and realize that their concerns being voiced are what's CAUSING the divide. The divide exists because these questions were NEVER answered by the Obama campaign and now everyone in the "Obama 50%" wants the "Disgruntled 50%" to sit down and shut up and not make waves. Sorry, but this is our country too. To sick back and stay quiet and not perpetuate the divide is the same as cowardice, or even worse, apathy.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
To sick back and stay quiet and not perpetuate the divide is the same as cowardice, or even worse, apathy.

You really aren't getting it. The divide is what keeps the PTB in charge. You all are so busy with the small things that they are going to the back on your backs. If you want to challenge something worthwhile, challenge the system that is putting it to you. Both sides. Perpetuating it will only give you more of the same. Where will you spend that energy?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I have to agree here.

The fact is that although Obama won, almost half the country didn't vote for him.

Although there are some like me who will now give him the benefit of the doubt until he loses it, others won't.

This will never be a one party country, or a one belief-set country, and I think that's part of what makes it so great.

Sure we argue all the time and never get along, but in the end things get done.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I see the adverse reactions as fear.

The people who frantically want to prove to others that Obama is evil and will destroy us and our way of life are genuinely afraid. It's like a kid and the boogeyman in the closet, they think it's there so they refuse to go look in the closet and find out for themselves. So they remain afraid.

I personally think its about frikking time we as a nation felt united and solid and powerful. I don't want to live in a world where everything is always so doom and gloom and about fear.

Whether Obama changes this country or we still suffer, for this moment and for this hour we are a country that did something that we have never done before. That alone gives me hope that there are others like me who still dream and who sincerely believe we can actually do something.

I don't care if you support Obama or you don't. This one event brings about a positive change in people's lives and gives them a renewed confidence in our nation, it is a good thing.

Stop hating and start loving. Simple lesson so many of us fail to learn tell it's too late.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think the perception depends upon where you are and where you look. I'm honestly not noticing much different in terms of the reaction of the "losing" side than I've seen after every other national election. I remember celebs screaming about setting themselves on fire after Reagan won. Both times.

Sure if you look at the media, or the Internet forums (ahem) you'll see some eye bulging purple rhetoric.

But around town I'm not seeing anybody all jacked up one way or the other. It's pretty much business as usual. Of course, here in the midwest, we don't expect too much out of Washington, one way or the other. Indiana went Blue for president for the first time since 1964, although we've had several Democrat governors and senators in that time. In fact, we have a Democrat (Evan Bayh) and Republican (Dick Lugar) senator right now. We're big ticket splitters.

Seems to me, the national Republicans are looking more to throw slime on Palin than they are to dog Obama at this point. Of course, they're all pretty much RINOs (Republicans in Name Only) anymore. All the true Republicans are Libertarians now.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 11/7/2008 by yeahright]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Of course, they're all pretty much RHINOs (Republicans in Name Only) anymore.

Exactly. I've been talking about this all week.

And they aren't all Libertarians now. I'll stay registered Republican so I can vote in my state Primaries, but I don't consider myself one anymore.

I just go by Conservative.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by nyk537
I just go by Conservative.

I go by, "Pin a label on me and I'll give you at least 5 reasons why you're wrong".

But, I know what you mean.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I wanted a president that does not hammer the cia multiple times until they come up with some bogus evidence to go to war for nefarious purposes. I wanted a president who does not do a fancy two step singing 'bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran', effectively spoofing the Iraq war as well.

We are all Americans. Many of us have high hopes for the future. It is up to us to stand behind him. In due time he will have our respect or scorn.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join