It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Barack Obama / your opinions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
the 4th of november 2008 Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States.
It is the first black president in this country.

First of all I would like to tell you my opinion, then you can respond to mine or just tell what´s your opinion

I see this historical decision of the american population as a huge chance for the country itself to restore its damaged reputation in the World.
Barack Obama is the right man for a change, I know this word went through the media a lot and a lot of you can´t hear it anymore but i have to say that it is very very true.
I don´t know what promises Obama can fulfill but where i´m sure is that he will always tell you the truth about the difficult decisions he has to face.

Politically, I don´t have to tell you that there can only be an improvement.

I would rather talk about the chance that a black man made it to the White House.

We need to be aware that this is the final step of an evolution which started in 1863 with The Emancipation Proclamation by Abraham lincoln, a law which prohibits slavery.
Then there was Rosa Parks ; Martin Luther King. Thanks to the dedication of people like that, Colin Powell or Condoleezza Rice are able to be in a position in which they are today.
Now with Obama as the President of the United States the evolution finally ends, because the most powerful man on the planet is black.

So I think that this is a great chance / probably the best chance ever that the tensions between black and white disappear ( even if that might take a few years / generations ).

We all and everyone who reads this has to give something so that our world can be a better place

By the way listen to this song www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6-11-2008 by rob.j]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/11/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yep Yep!

This has been an amazing election. And I am looking forward to an even more amazing future.

You saw the joy and cathartic nature of the evening of the 4th.

I expect to see much more of that Unficiation in the future.

p.s. Thanks so much for the music link.. that was great!

[edit on 6-11-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Really, I don't care what color his skin is. I'm just waiting to see if his actions follow his words. Only then we will know the true content of his character. Of course we still have 10 more weeks until that happens. Until that time he's President Elect Obama and judging his character by some of his previous actions he has some work to do.

He has half of the country won over. Now the other 50% will take some time.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm glad he is the president elect. I voted for him and i'm happy he won the election. The problem i have with all of this though, is that the majority of democrats i talk to about the election think that everything is going to be great now that Obama is going to take office. Winning the election IS ONLY THE BEGINING.

I'm as happy as everybody else that Obama won and the Bush is packing up his bags. But the reality is that Obama is taking over with the biggest pile of crap to fix for the american people ever. This is not going to be as easy as walking in and saying everything is ok, carry on. There is going to be some huge hurdles to jump over before this country even begins to start to see a posotive change. And it will get worse before it gets better.

So now that every one has gotten out their small brief period of over excitement because the democrats are back in office, it's time to get real and understand that our country isn't out of the fire yet.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rob.j

Politically, I don´t have to tell you that there can only be an improvement.

Completely disagree. It can, and will, be a lot worse than the last eight years. This is what is wrong with the pro-Obama crowd - you can't admit that this man might possibly screw things all to hell with his backward politics. All you can see are the "bushisms" that Comedy Central has fed you and the hate for Bush that Keith Olbermann has blustered. You think anything is better than the past eight years. I completely disagree. Watch, and learn.

We all and everyone who reads this has to give something so that our world can be a better place

So you think that pleasing the likes of dictators like Hugo Chavez, Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong-Il, the Chinese communist government and others are making this world a better place while those men continue to oppress their own populations? Hooray! We voted in Obama! Now these men will look favorably upon us and decide not to take us to war!

[edit on 6-11-2008 by sos37]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I am thrilled our country elected him! I'm proud and honored.

As an aside, having elected the first African American president is a really good sign of where our country is going as far as race relations and I'm very encouraged. But his race has nothing to do with why I voted for him. I would feel the same if we had elected the first woman to the presidency.

Like dbates, I will wait until he takes office and see how he does before I make a judgment on his presidential abilities. He's got some ROUGH times ahead. And I mean some REALLY tough decisions and situations to deal with. It may be a while before we see the improvements that we're hoping for. He's being handed a country in ruin. It's going to be hard work to get it turned around.

I think in 2 years, I'll probably be able to make an intelligent, educated judgment as to whether or not we did the right thing.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

i agree with you that a lot of people are in some kind of obama mania right now, and that things will look different in a year.
But Bush and his governement is the one who conducted the United States in the situation in which they are today.
He is responsible for the financial crisis, because he let the banks do whatever they wanted.
He started two wars where the end is not yet in sight ..
And he´s on a good way to get a lot of problems with Iran..

So the thing i´m saying is not that obama will resolve all these problems, no
but i´m sure that he can handle those problem much better than bush.
Obama talks at least with those countries the only thing Bush did was threatening sanctions

p.s start to be more optimistic, pessimistic doesn´t lead to anything.
the world needs to have more positive people who can change something

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
America is all about the Dollar. If you don't allow the US bankers in to finance your country, allowing repayment in your natural resources (petro dollars) then you're on the bad boy list which is the fundamentals of US diplomacy.

You don't see us invading N. Korea because they have nukes even though they're a constant threat to S. Korea and Japan do you ?
No, because they haven't any natural resources to plunder !

Meanwhile while spending 3 billion per week on our so called wars, which in actuality are more plundering of oil and gas reserves for the Rockefellers EXXON Corporation, here in the USA our infrastructure is deteriorating. Look at what happened a year ago in Minnesota with the bridge collapsing.

How many bridges could've been repaired with just one weeks war budget of 3 Billion dollars ?

Irregardless of what this new president elects name is.
We as Americans had to steer the ship in a new direction.
He realistically can't change things in the near future but as with all things, the problems took time to create and will also take time to fix.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

I respectfully disagree with you on your opening comment.

America isn't all about the dollar. The American enterprise is about restricted government. It is the yoke that our leaders have been struggling against for a century. The fact that so much international and corporate effort goes into the endless attempt to corrupt or control the nation's leaders shows you just how good this country can be - in terms of defending the principles of equality and the notion of a 'government OF the people'.

That the corporations and bankers have their hooks in our leaders isn't a sign of American weakness or inferiority, the weakness is inherent in the political party and her owners.

Ideology is too close to religion to allow it to be expressed in government. There ought to be a law, or at least a guideline, to diminish its ever present influence in our governing servants. They keep forgetting that they work for US not the 'sponsors' of their political careers.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
this is a thread about Obama as the new president, talk about that not anything else please

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rob.j
reply to post by sos37

But Bush and his governement is the one who conducted the United States in the situation in which they are today. He is responsible for the financial crisis, because he let the banks do whatever they wanted.

I feel the need to scream every time I hear this. This is a misstatement and is simply not true. The financial crisis started with CLINTON loosening restrictions on Fannie/Freddie. Ultimately BOTH Democratic and Republican parties in Congress are to blame for the mess, but it is NOT solely the fault of Bush. If you disagree, then I'd like for you to explain how a Democratic Controlled congress with the power to override a presidential veto did not do anything about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but what is WRONG with you pople? Praising a man who has, from his own mouth, said things we wouldn't have accepted 8 years ago?

Examples --all direct quotes from him, so it isn't hearsay.

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

"I found solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother’s race."

"I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community." --UPDATE: Barack Obama decides to "disown" him on Tuesday, April 29th after he realized his campaign was in severe turmoil due to his association with Mr. Wright.

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person..."

"That’s just how white folks will do you."

Call to Islamic prayer is “one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.”

Not to mention the fact that he STILL refuses to prove he IS an American.

The long list of shady associations, well known, but got a pass by the media, doesnt worry you?

You did not ELECT him, he was put into the position by the powers that be jsut as many presidents in the past dew decades have been. So before you pat yourself on the back for a job "well done", ask yourself if you DID elect him, how can you not be ashamed of yourself?

"You" have elected amuslim extremeist who thinks that Bill Ayers and the like deserve his time and attention, you can BET he wouldn't give an average american just trying to make a living that kind of support.

How do I know? He thinks we "cling too bitterly to our guns and our religion." In other words, just way too stupid to be considered worthy.

If you are waiting for those promised "handouts", you will be waiting a long long time.

He will completely destroy whats left of America, and when it happens, remember you were warned, but in the meantime, can you stop acting like he is godalmighty? He is quite the opposite,and if "politically correct" would get out of the way so that people could actually SEE??

Wake up people!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
My only thing i see about him, is he is just like Jim Jones of the peoples temple. I think your intelligence services know, how to fool people, and get the desired effect.

People saying he is like jfk, are wong, jfk had substance, in his speeches, like i say obama is more like jim jones.

So america is going to the promised land is it, lol.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

ok you´re right and i was wrong that bush and the republicans were the only responsible for the financial crisis, the democrats are also responsible.

BUT you said in you first comment that everything would get worse.
i dont agree on that.
firstly the mistakes made by the republicans and the democrats over the last years have been identified at least in the financial industry.
so those mistakes will no longer be repeated.

So that will be the first change.

secondly as i said before will the new governement handle threats like iran in an other way like the united states did before

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
So one year after the election, I would like to ask you all what you think of Obama´s first year? Did he do a good or bad job so far?.
Really looking forward to your comments.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rob.j

Good- Change in rhetoric and tone.
Multilateral approach on issues such as Iran.
A slight increase in pressure on Israel, with regards to the conflict with the Palestinians.
Draw down of troops in Iraq.
A larger acceptance of the danger of climate change to the World.
Bought with him a pretty intelligent wife in the White House.
Decision to Try the alleged masterminds of 9-11 in New York.

Bad- Escalation of the conflict in Afghanistan.
Failure to close Guantanamo.
Failure to produce or promote a decent health care bill for Americans(Which includes Single-payer).
Allowing the Health Care debate to be hijacked by the Right as a result of not providing a comprehensive bill or explanation of it for the Left to defend.
Backing down in the face of AIPAC and Israel in pushing Israel over settlements and the peace process in general.
No Jobs stimulus (AKA New Deal).
Not able to control own party in Congress.

In my humble opinion.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

new topics

top topics

join