It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

underground tunnels and military facilities in Australia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There may be a large complex under the Dandenong Ranges, 40 k from the centre of Melbourne. I knew some guys who were down-and-outers, people with no-one to miss them, and they were hiding, having escaped from working there and certain they would be killed if found.

They said they'd been referred by various charities they went to to an education course, and after filling out a lot of personal questions were transported to an underground place, told they had qualified for a special training course.

They said there were huge warehouses and garages built underground and the complex was far too big for any of them to know how many levels there were or how widely each level extended. They were not free to go anywhere but the level they worked on and the canteen and dormitories.

They described the tunneller as a huge driverless nuclear powered cylindrical machine. They said it was supposed to drill a kilometre each day, but never did. There was always something malfunctioning. They did get training. They were trained to do maintenance on this machine by real engineers, (who seemed to avoid going near it themselves,) including replacing many of the cutters each 24 hours. After being underground for 6 months, they thought in terms of time periods rather than days.

They were puzzled about the tunnel walls, saying that after the machines had been through, the walls and rook of the tunnel were solid black glass. I couldn't work out if the plural use of machines meant several went through to make it like that, or if they just meant there were several tunnellers.

They had no proof of any workers being hurt, but were afraid because everyone doing daily work in contact with this machine seemed "disposable", and they were afraid the work was making them sick. (Loose teeth, more hair in the comb than they expected, pink toothbrush, nausea.) They said people working there longer would get sick and then disappear, and they'd be told the person had left because their contract had finished.

They were afraid they would all end up dead to stop the story getting out, and managed to hide themselves in the back of a truck and get driven out.

This could all be a story they made up, but they looked terrified, and really uneasy discussing it. And they told me a tunnel from it goes directly under my house, and asked how much my house shakes.
I'm nocturnal, and had noticed that things on my desk rattle a lot between 2 and 4 am. I'd already spoken to the weather bureau about that and been told it must be passing lorries, and there are very few earth tremors around here. Trouble is I live on a very quiet remote dirt road.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Oops, double post.

[edit on 4/10/08 by Kailassa]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
interesting....in would like to hear more about this and details of locations if possible.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Korroit creek, on the west bank, south of Blackshaws Road, Altona Nth, behind Toyota.
Don't go during summer, there are alot of snakes there.

Not sure what the tunnel is for or where it goes, it has timber steps leading down the bank too it though, the steps start 1/4 down the bank and it is overgrown. Take a walk South along the East bank too view from there.

If anyone has already had a look, or knows what it is for then please post.

This is not just a storm water pipe, it is arched.

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
that is very close to home, I will have to take a walk down there one of these days. is the tunnel closed or open? what size?

how far down is it from that little car park there?

[edit on 7/10/08 by Melbourne_Militia]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dingleberry77

Does anyone know where the tunnels are in Newcastle? I have found a few here and there but the main one I am looking for apparently goes from 'near' Fort Scratchley to 'near' King Edward Park. Any ideas?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bobbydigital

I know at least 2 people who worked in these tunnels. They were for transporting machinery in WWII and have a big steel door in between raaf base and holdens now. Not a secret facility, was full od old junk that Holdens sold 5 years ago when crap startyed to be wortha bit. You can get info about them fairly easily. A Lot of these tunnels weree built for transport in war times.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
If there are any tunnels in Townsville that are still accessible, does anyone know where they are?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It trips me out when you see threads from the ages re surface.

I have lived in Melbourne my whole life, yes there are alot of closed up underground tunnels and complexs.

I was a skateboarder for a long time and have sussed out alot of these place to see if we could skate them.

I would suggest the "large" last stand bunker in Melbourne would be under the Highpoint munitions factory.
If you know the area well that would be a great ridge to have a bunker complex to make a last stand battle. Its intersting what use to be right next to the highpoint ridge, "pipeworks" which was a concrete pipe constructor.

We also heard rumors from bike riders that there was a tunnel from Werribee to the City which was the old sewer tunnel. But we never found it. They said it was huge.

I have photos when I find them I will post some.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Its also intersting that "Parliment station" sits right underneath "Parliment house" in Melbourne.
Easy evacuation route? Bunkers?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Be sure to get those pictures in here as soon as possible!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Although irrelevant to your country's underground but similar and far from unusual to myself is when the Underground Metro was being build in Athens afew years ago there were afew things that the workers come across. Immediately, the workers were evacuated by security officers. In case you are wondering why were there security officers there, well lets say there are too many secrets in Greece which are held on the highest security level. This information is shared amongst afew other Bureau's. What was found there were skeletons close to 4-5 meter in height, which did look human like. Now this may sound very silly or other members might request proof of some sort. What i can assure you is that the whole Metro works and its workers were closed for 3 days in respect to the individual findings in a particular area. Main media did mention the halt of woks, but that was it, nothing more nothing less. It has been established that U.S. personal, French Personal, were called into the specified area. There were some photos from residents showing trucks which were covered carrying cargo away. Note these trucks were not civilian trucks but military trucks. The trucks did look civilian but the registration plates were strictly military. Two weeks later i was out of there.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

The museum exhibition, "The City Beneath the City," contains 500 hundred items of clay, bronze, marble, glass and ivory culled from 10,000 objects recovered so far during the digging. Arrayed in a sequence that follows the digging of the actual subway stations, the artifacts trace the development of human life in Athens from the 17th century B.C. to the eighth century A.D., from the Mycenaean period to the Byzantine era.

Seems pretty known and Athens has already set up a museum for them, (or did at the time that article was written).

. Teams of archaeologists worked ahead of, then alongside of, engineers for a total of 6 years. They protected and recorded the archaeological evidence that was uncovered which included ancient streets, houses, cemeteries, sanctuaries, public workshops, foundry pits, kilns, aqueducts, wells, cisterns, drains and sewage tunnels. Together this allowed a new insight into the topography of the city in ancient times.

I found a few pages just googling a few key words about it. Eerie stuff though.

Here's some of the artifacts found: users.otenet.gr...

And picture of the skeleton found:
www.eveandersson.com...

Sorry for going off-topic, just found it interesting.

[edit on 12/2/09 by Nventual]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
There are plenty of underground tunnels in melbourne...

here is a drain tunnel that has a supposed link to an old school used during ww2 by the US military...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
There are thousands of tunnels under sydney. If you wanted to find out more, Telstra occupy them now. i was walking past the other day, and theyre not that big. If you check out the Grace hotel on York Street, The american government occupied the building and apparantly build a bunker in the basement and a tunnel leading directly to circular quey during ww2. I think its facinating. also, does anyone know something about a train station in sydney, where on level 3, there is a tunnel entrance? Would it be central?
Cheers.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
The is a MASSIVE underground installation being constructed on the outskirts of Canberra.
When working on a wind farm we would drive past a recently constructed 2 lane 'round-about' and new 2 lane road leading to what the signpost calls HQJOC we would joke about who would come up with a name that could not be pronounced.
When talking to the locals, they informed me that this stood for Head Quarters Joint Operations Command - Made sense. some of the local tradies had worked there and described it a a MASSIVE underground town, totally self sufficient complete with water reservoir, and hydroponic farming areas and can apparently house well over 5000 people for extended periods of time.
I was told by one of these locals that his mate (an electrician working there) took some photos of the blueprints and other areas, as they were joking that he was a fool for doing it, and his reason was "it may come in handy one day"
everyone working there signs federal confidentiality agreements do not disclose information about the project - luckily we are in Australia and no one takes the government too seriously (no reports of Men in Black here as far as I'm aware)

We were told that the site is pretty unsubstantial from the surface, consisting of security booths / buildings, and a large shed, where access to the base is obtained.
The site is surrounded by a series of fences starting with what they called a 'tank-proof' fence, then a double razor-wire inner fence

After hearing about this we thought we would go and take a look, by turning down the road. There are cameras watching every part of the road, but we did not let that stop us. The fences were confirmed, as was the security checkpoints. as it was still under construction, there was still the construction company hired security who were pretty casual, and reluctant to get out of their car to see what we were doing when we stopped at the entrance to the base.

Judging by the nature of infrastructure, and being in Canberra (Australia's Capital) I have no doubt of what the locals were saying about this site.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who worked on this project, as it has always intrigued me.

On another note regarding Melbourne's tunnels - I too have heard stories of the war bunkers, but have not been able to confirm.
However I do know that there is a tunnel system linking every government building in the city. There is a 'terminal at the Treasury building near parliament house, (which was used to transport gold and money) linking the Mint in William street the office or Births deaths and marriages in Queen Street, Flinders street station and the exhibition buildings. These had been 'upgraded' in the early 1900's as the old mint in Docklands (where James Packers Car collection is Housed) was replaced with the new one in William.
I was lucky to see some old photos / lithos of the old mint destroying the state currency to make way for the commonwealth currency. The history of a city is quite amazing when you stumble across it.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

[edit on 26-4-2010 by FreedomCorps]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
There's been lots of underground work in Canberra over the past four to five years. My ears pricked up when I heard not only about the HQJOC, but also the AG's dept "Data Centre" in the middle of an industrial area near Fyshwick. There's a series of paddocks near the big intersection which have poorly camouflaged vents. These vents are at least 700m from the main facility, so unless they got creative with their ventilation system, it's a big site.

The fact that both of these sites are known makes me wonder about the ones which are not yet known.

And of course, why are they building them? Surely the terrowists can't do that much damage to Canberra? What's a hardened nuclear bunker used for? Hmmm... the mind boggles. I wonder what they know that we don't?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
heres a list of a few bunkers/shelters of old, wether they still exist or not, interesting enough though.

home.st.net.au...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join