It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Cigarettes - Beat the No-Smoking Bans!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Treacherous
What will they come up with next? I used to smoke and would have loved this idea back then but to be honest, the only way I stopped smoking and have stayed stopped is by understanding the physcology behind it and breaking the mental associations. Otherwise you just end up repressing or substituting or swapping one addiction for another.

These aren't being advertised and sold (to my knowledge) as smoking cessation devices. I know what you mean about the psychology behind it, though. Once upon a time I had quit smoking for a while, and when I did it was all a mental thing. Wasn't really too difficult because I was in the right frame of mind.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Glad you stopped mate. My partner was only telling me about these tonight, cos people at his work smoke them. Sorry I havent looked into it properly. So they are real ciggerettes? But without the passive smoking thang? WoW. Im even more impressed.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Treacherous

Oh, I didn't mean to confuse you. I did stop, but then I started again. Well, these aren't real cigarettes. They are composed of 3 different parts. The cartridge (which holds the liquid nicotine and/or flavors), the battery, and the vaporizer (which vaporizes the liquid nicotine mixture). A lot of models LOOK like real cigarettes, and they even have the orange glow to simulate the cherry. However, they are NOT real cigarettes. You still get the nicotine, but the rest of the junk is not there. Current users have reported that the smoke is pretty convincing, and when you take a hit it "feels" like you are smoking, but you really aren't. It doesn't even make real smoke. It makes a vapor (mostly water vapor) that looks like smoke.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanitys Last Day

OK, no worries, you'll quit when you're ready! Still sounds like impressive technology! Hope it helps health wise in whatever way it can! (Will look at links when I have time
)

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm going to try these. Will buy this hopefully next month. I finally found a Canadian address. I'm just curious, since each cartridge is equivalent to a pack of smokes, how much you should smoke at one time, because you wouldn't want to overdo it, but underdoing gives me a bad headache.
I still don't think sharing the vapor indoors with others is a good idea.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

That is an extremely good question. From the things I have read it appears that a normal cigarette last about 12-15 puffs. Of course that can sway either way depending on what type of smoker you are.

Also, everyone should keep in mind that the parts on the e-cigarette are all considered disposable. The batteries will go out eventually (usually you get two per kit) as well as the atomizers. On puresmoker.com they have cartridges pretty cheap and they sell the liquid you can refill the cartridges with (if you don't buy already filled cartridges). Even then, though, it costs a bit less than smoking (at least in Texas).

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'm not a smoker,never have been.But i think the only public restrictions that should be put on smokers is in restaurants,cafes and other places people eat food.Food always tastes different in a smoke filled enviroment.

I do,however,agree with this news article.More research is needed.

However, campaigners including the World Health Organisation, have raised concerns, pointing out there was a lack of knowledge about the products.

Douglas Bettcher, of the World Health Organisation, said there was a "regulatory blackhole" which meant no-one knew just what these products contain.

"We are facing a new product. We do not know what is in these cartridges besides nicotine. What are the effects of heating and vapourising the nicotine and inhaling it?"

And Deborah Arnott, of anti-smoking group Ash, pointed out that many of the products were made in China where quality control was "not very good".

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Treacherous
the only way I stopped smoking and have stayed stopped is by understanding the physcology behind it and breaking the mental associations. Otherwise you just end up repressing or substituting or swapping one addiction for another.

Yes, but vaporizing is also very different than smoking (or more aptly called, burning). Burning anything at all and inhaling it will harm you. Whether it's paper, nicotine, or anything else. Smoke is bad for you to inhale.

When you vaporize something, it is not burning. It's only releasing certain compounds in the substance (in this case, "cartridges" or this eJuice), depending on how hot the vaporizer/atomizer gets.

No, it's certainly not a step to quitting, however it is most definitely preferable to the alternative, for those that are not quitting. Most of the marketing they are using is true - no more smoke smells on you and your clothing, much much less tar, less carcinogens (again, since not burning), etc.

I will be keeping my eye on this thread for reviews. Don't forget!

edit: p.s. - I can't speak on these particular products of course, I was just speaking about vaporizing as a general method, opposed to combustion.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by scientist]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
ooh . . . these would piss off so many uninformed people! Take it to a mall . . . or a high school football game . . . heck . . . use it at work

I would love to buy one just to piss people off and freak em out

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'm less concerned with whether there are dangers associated with it, because while nicotine is a poison, its not a carcinogen, and the only other item suspect in the water is something they keep makeup moist with that, while it may be considered safe, doesn't mean I want to breath it in, but, that would be one out of thousands of other chemicals eliminated, so I'm not sure. There are other ways of getting nicotine, like gum and cough drops, and I had to stop using them immediately. They gave me prestroke symptoms. I have used the patch once to quit smoking, but I went off it too soon I believe and started getting really anxious to the point of hours of it. This may be a good way to wean off tobacco and after a good adjustment, buy a slightly smaller catridge, so to ever so slowly do it. Apparently this is a far less damaging way to feel like your smoking and legally you can do it indoors, even in a hospital bed. But you have to explain them ahead of time and people may still give you nasty looks.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
ooh . . . these would piss off so many uninformed people! Take it to a mall . . . or a high school football game . . . heck . . . use it at work

I would love to buy one just to piss people off and freak em out

Oh yeah. What I would love to do is take a few big drags so the LED lights up the simulated cherry nice and bright, and when people are watching you snub the end out on your tongue. Haha.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
There are other ways of getting nicotine, like gum and cough drops, and I had to stop using them immediately. They gave me prestroke symptoms.

If you developed prestroke symptoms from gum and cough drops then you may consider asking the advice of a doctor before starting any new implement of receiving nicotine. I dont know if there is a difference between how you absorb it with the gum/drops as compared to smoking something, but I would be concerned either way.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
These suckers were actually invented by a coworker of mine.

She got her influence from her sons vaporizer and then compacted it. She has given out a bunch of testers to the workers around here and it seems to be going over well. A very interesting idea but still seems kinda gross to me.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey
A very interesting idea but still seems kinda gross to me.

What about it seems gross? If a friend of your invented it then they need to do something and get a piece of the pie!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hey scientist, I thought you might want to know I found a section of a forum dedicated to DIY e-liquid. It might have some useful information in there as far as making your own custom liquids to fill your carts with.

DIY e-liquid forum

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I received my "Sedansa" few months ago and I still smoking real cigarettes today (Benson & Hedges)... Even if I was thinking "This is my savior" lol.

My point of view :

* Negative *

1/ After just few weeks, my e-cigarette doesn't charge anymore but they said it is under a 5 years guarantee... Have to send it back...never did.

2/ You can not smoke as you want. After few puff you have to wait to smoke more because it becomes hot (anyhow there is an internal system which turns it off for you).

3/ The taste is not so bad but nothing to compare to a real cigarette, it is very light and you have to "suck" it very hard to have a little smoke coming out.

4/ There is a liquid which comes to your lips if you do not keep the e-cig horizontal enough... Very disgusting ! And forget to use it in your car.

* Positive *

1/ No ashes, bad smell, yellow walls, fingers etc..

2/ The health... still have to be proven but I think it can not be worse than real cigarettes.

3/ A good psycho alternative to start thinking about stop smoking but not sure it will work for you as it can not replace the feeling of a real cigarette AT ALL.

4/ I'm planning to use it in case of emergency when I will stop smoking (instead of using a real cigarette I will run to the e-one if I can not handle the stop no more).

You have a lot of different brands to order on line as :
Cigartex
Sedansa
Ruyan
And a lot more....

I plan to stop smoking in few weeks with patch/gum substitutes, a change of environment... and the help of e-cigarette ONLY when I can not handle no more.

Do not think e-cig will replace your sweet tasty real cig !
But better than nothing !!!

Sorry for my poor English &
A good day to everybody

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Off course maybe more effective on "light smoker"...
I smoke 1 pack/day (someday 2) from 20 years !!!
I know... that's why planning to stop soon

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 1energy

I am sorry you seem to have had a bad experience with them. I havent recieved mine yet so I cant tell you what is going to happen. However, according to my research, the different brands and typs of e-cigarettes are NOT all created equal. Yeah, some brands reported the atomizers getting hot as well as not heating properly or failing fast. However, there seems to be a couple of brands that really stand out as working pretty well. As I understand it the DSE901's from puresmoker.com are very popular and seem to be very reliable. The price is also a lot less than other suppliers. As far as any bad tastes, that is going to depend on who made the carts, too. That page has custom e-liquid that is highly recommended by many e-smokers.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sanitys Last Day

Not really "bad" but just not as good as I was expected.
I will ck your link as I guess you are right about the differences between brands.
But I read somewhere that they all come from the same factory in China... to verify...

Anyway, when you do not have any other choice than stop smoking (and still loving it), I think we should be glad this e-cig are on the market now.
Like I said better than nothing !

Just wanted to share my 1rst experience with you and will come back next month to tell if it helps me stop smoking this time where I plan to use it just in case of " emergency"...lol

Thanks again for your answer

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 1energy

We also have to keep in mind that this technology is relatively new on the market. Hopefully as it progresses we will see extremely high quality ones, and the low quality ones will be pushed off of the market. We might be able to pick one up at WalMart before we know it

Edit to add:

There are a handful of brands that do appear to come from the same factory. There are video reviews of a lot of different brands at e-cigreview.com, and it is apparent that the handful in question are all of poor quality. He does review some, though, that he is thoroughly impressed with. He also usually does a one week update to see how they hold up. This should give you a good indicator as to who has the high quality ones, and who has the poor quality ones.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Sanitys Last Day]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join