It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Cigarettes - Beat the No-Smoking Bans!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I am a smoker, and I have received many dirty looks from the non-smoking crowd. Here in Dallas and the surrounding cities smoking is banned in any public place, and people like me are demonized for our choice in what we do to our bodies. Well this is about to change (maybe)!

With the advances in technology we now have what are being called Electric Cigarettes, or e-cigs for short. They look like a real cigarette, you puff on them, you get nicotine, but it is not smoking. It works by containing varying strengths of liquid nicotine that passes over a heating element (vaporizer or atomizer) and you inhale the "smoke" (but it isn't smoke). Check out how real they are:

These are advertised with the following benefits:

Cheaper
No tar or other carcinogens
Odor free
Best of all: They are not restricted under the no-smoking ordinances put in place everywhere!

I am waiting on my order to come in to try it first hand, but there are many positive reviews with their functionality and people's experiences in public. Here are some links to get you started.

Smoking Everywhere brand e-cigarette
E-Smoking Forum with reviews and public experiences
General list of suppliers around the world

I hope you enjoy reading about this advance in technology as much as I have! Please post with your comments, thoughts, criticisms, first hand experiences, etc. I would love to see what others think about this.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Sanitys Last Day]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Crap, now kids will be smoking in school without hardly a care! Great idea!

I jest, I smoke' em too and this is a good idea for using where folks that smoke can't light up due to security concerns and what not.
I mean like getting caught where they aren't supposed to be smoking. Not that I am saying they should do that, OFC.

Well, what's better if you "got the bug" from nicotine - gum or that? Eww, the gum is disgusting! Erm and the pills to quit? I would rather smoke than find another "vise", knowwhatimean?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
no kidding... thanks for the links.

A friend of a friend uses something called "VaporGenie," and highly recommends it. Although it's a wooden pipe, not a cigarette shape.

hmm looking further into it, it seems they all work off "cartridges"

I wonder if any let you use your own material, or if there is a way to make your own cartridge.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by scientist]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarSeaman

Well, these are not advertised as smoking cessation devices, however they do have many different strength "refills" all the way down to 0mg nicotine. If you are the type of smoker that has an oral fixation or just like to take a drag out of habit then this could be for you because the reports are saying it "feels" like smoke when inhaling the vapor. To me that would make it easier to stop smoking since it is so similar to the real thing. They even have red LEDs on the end to make it light up like the cherry on a cigarette. Oh, many models also offer blue, green, or no LEDs if someone is worried about being harassed in a public place for smoking a real cigarette. That way people wont be confused.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanitys Last Day

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

Nice one..

Ill be getting my hands on one of these asap.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

That's pretty cool. I wonder if they make any effort to flavor the nicotine? Because I doubt straight neurostimulants are all that tasty. Also, I wonder what other chemicals could be inhaled this way?

Originally posted by scientist
no kidding... thanks for the links.

A friend of a friend uses something called "VaporGenie," and highly recommends it. Although it's a wooden pipe, not a cigarette shape.

hmm looking further into it, it seems they all work off "cartridges"

I wonder if any let you use your own material, or if there is a way to make your own cartridge.

Doubt it. Straight nicotine is a deadly poison (LD50 of like .5 - 1 mg/kg), so I doubt you could buy it except in tobacco products and safely diluted cartridge form. The process of extracting just nicotine from tobacco leaves is probably pretty involved, or people would already be using that process to smoke the stuff in the first place.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by mdiinican]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Put Down that E-Cigarette

It turns out that no nicotine delivery device is good for you, even if it's electronic. The World Health Organization has said that so-called "electronic cigarettes" are not effective and may even be poisonous, as reported in US News.

SOURCE

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mdiinican

From what I have seen they have a LOT of flavors on the market. Regular, mint, menthol, cherry, vanilla, etc, etc, etc.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Hmm. I noticed they used ambiguous words like "may" be harmful. I would like to see if I can find any real scientific tests on this. However, a company called Crown7 who makes and sells these actually contacted a couple of government agencies to check what they had to say. Here is a snippet:

The Alcohol and Tobacco Trade Bureau (TTB) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have formally stated that Crown7 is not a product that warrants the involvement or oversight of either government entity. The FDA notes that Crown7 do not fit the classification of products it governs. The TTB (Tobacco and Taxation Bureau, formally the ATF, Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms) has formally determined that the TTB has no regulatory interest in Crown7 because it does not contain tobacco.

www.crown7.com...

I definitely don't want to say they arent dangerous, but I wonder why these agencies expressed no interest in oversight if there was in fact a something that said they could be dangerous. I am glad you brought something to my attention that I could investigate a little further.

Edit to add:

The snippet you posted from blog.bioethics.net... got their information from a small usnews article. In that article the only reason the potential safety was mentioned was because the WHO made a comment that they might contain chemicals that could be toxic. However in that article it never said the WHO ran tests or anything of the like. It was just a possibility mentioned. Like I said, I would like to see a real test done on this and find out what the results are.

As far as reports from first hand users (some for a long time) they have only been positive.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here is a safety report on the Ruyan refill cartriges. I can't open it right now because Adobe is acting up, but people commenting on it said it was a pretty positive report.

Dr. Laugesen's safety report

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican

Doubt it. Straight nicotine is a deadly poison (LD50 of like .5 - 1 mg/kg), so I doubt you could buy it except in tobacco products and safely diluted cartridge form.

ya, well Im thinking of things other than tobacco and nicotine. For example, sage, chamomile, eucalyptus, etc.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I haven't seen any other refill cartridges that are not nicotine based. However I am going all over the web looking at this stuff so I may run across something. If I do I will let you know.

I ordered a glossy black DSE901 (seems to be really popular model) with a blue LED tip. It should be here within 2-3 business days, and I will let you know what I think of it first hand.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sanitys Last Day
I ordered a glossy black DSE901 (seems to be really popular model) with a blue LED tip. It should be here within 2-3 business days, and I will let you know what I think of it first hand.

that was the same exact one I had my eye on... please keep this thread updated! If it's discovered there is a way to use your own material instead of the cartridges, I'll grab one right away.

I do not like tobacco, so right now it looks like I may have to take a pass.

Here's my current baby:
www.vaporgenie.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Nicotine is a poison. So that WHO report was a waste of money. I understand the concern but they coulda used that money in Africa instead of on a silly redundant and dull report.

Ya, so let's make these affordable in China due to those folks having such a high amount of smokers?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I have heard good things about those vapor pipes! I have never tried one myself, but I do have a Vapor Brothers unit which works really well.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I know they have stuff called eJuice with a lot of various flavors (banana, coffee, rum, etc) and they offer them in low nicotine levels. I know I saw some places earlier that had 0mg nicotine, and I will see if I can find some of those that are flavored to your liking.

www.puresmoker.com...

Edit to add:

On the same page they have the standard refills with 4 different flavors. 3 of which offer 0mg nicotine. I am willing to bet if you look long enough you will find a flavor you like with no nicotine.

www.puresmoker.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Hi.

Could you please post your opinion on this product when you recieve it,as i have been milling over the idea of buying one of these kits for quite some time.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro

Hi.

Could you please post your opinion on this product when you recieve it,as i have been milling over the idea of buying one of these kits for quite some time.

Thank you.

Will do! I can even take pictures and the like if you want me to.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
What will they come up with next? I used to smoke and would have loved this idea back then but to be honest, the only way I stopped smoking and have stayed stopped is by understanding the physcology behind it and breaking the mental associations. Otherwise you just end up repressing or substituting or swapping one addiction for another.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

With the DSE901 I ordered I also ordered a 30ml vial of custom made refill "eJuice". You refill it will a syringe, apparently, which I ordered also (only 1.99). Perhaps you can make your own little concoction and refill with that. What you would want to look out for, though, is if what you refill it with will work properly with the vaporizer. I will let you know with a little more detail with how the refilling works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join