It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rural people and terrorists...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Just a quick question...
Why is it that it seems like rural people have a bigger fear of terrorists than anyone?
I live right outside DC. 1 Block and work in the district... and We never think about attacks, or when we take our daily metro rides think about the Arabs, wonder if they have bombs, or when we will get hit next. When the absolute truth is...
If anyone gets hit it will be US. or some other major city.
But when you get into places like The metro DC area, or NY. real international cities. we dont have the same fear and anger that you have from the rural americans.
My question is this......
why do people from the midwest, deep south, places that don't really face any real threat in their daily lives, have the strongest opinions about the threat of terrorists, or someone planting a nuke in their backyard???

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Do you have any sources? Or is this just your perception?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
look at a lot of the videos posted about the McCain/Palin rallies and how the people in ohio, pennsylvania, and places like that seem to have a deep running fear of terrorism. There are quite a few links throughout this board.
Im not making it a political issue, but it seems like the rural people most fear the Muslims, Terrorists, and things of that nature.
when you and i both know no one is going to hit rural ohio or anything outside of philly, in PA, (Outside shot, possible pittsburgh, but doubtable)
its just not worth anyones time....

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrbule
look at a lot of the videos posted about the McCain/Palin rallies and how the people in ohio, pennsylvania, and places like that seem to have a deep running fear of terrorism. There are quite a few links throughout this board.

If you weren't trying to make it political then you just failed by bringing up the McCain rallies. Do these links, that apparently exist, have polls or are they just other broad generalizations based on opinion?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I am guessing perception... I live in a rural area in the South, and never worry about those things because I know the terrorist attacks will be where there is a large concentration of people.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well, I live just outside Tiny Town, USA and I don't know anyone who is worried about terrorist attacks.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mrbule

Because they do not live in diverse, multi-ethnic communities and in not witnessing said diversity they have only the media and propaganda to base their view points of the world on. Since the majority of the media about the Middle East region is focused war and terrorism, this is all they have to reference. Add to that the indoctrination of "fear of the other" that the right-wing, Evangelical/Dominionist-type churches tend to rely on, as these tend(but not always) to be the dominant church-types in said regions.

But I'm sure there is more to it than that. Just an opinion.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
In my rural town outside of Dallas ..they all watch too much news and believe everything that they tell them ...The media for a few months after 911 talked all the time about rural places where terrorists will supposedly hide and do the dirty deeds there where they wont be so noticed ...Homeland Security gave money even according to the news to alot of rural places for funding to get more police etc ...they even went as far to tell everyone ..it could even be a nice little ice cream place somewhere in Ohio or wherever (Insert your small town here) ..ice cream parlor ok whatever (LOL) that one was funny and pretty rediculous (Of course it was our local Fox news )
Seriously ...do some digging on google about where some of the funding went when HS was sending checks out to beef up security after 911 ..................
It really was kind of funny and I could not figure out what on earth they were thinking ......but then again ..I guess they could lay really low in some small town and do something serious at some Nuke Plant or something .
Which we have one of those less than a 100 miles away from here ...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I don't worry about it being planted in my backyard.. (here it is
BUUUUTTTT, being from Oklahoma, I know it CAN and HAS happened in the south. So I'm understandably cautious. However, I'm much more concerned for Yankees in big cities, if SHTF we want to be ready to help you all as much as we can.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

this is the closest that I can find to actual proof of what im saying.
Exit polls from inside the District Of Columbia.
Terrorism was only a main deciding factor for 4% of people responding to the exit polls.
when if anyone is afraid of a bomb dropping on their head or somewhere close it should be these voters.
with a national average of between 9% and 10%, it doesnt matter what the political affilation, why is it 4% here and 10% in somewhere like Missouri, and 11% in alaska?
I would say thats pretty fair evidence for you...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Well I grew up in a little town and now live in the city. I can say for little towns that they tend to overestimate the dangers of the big city. If 2 people get shot in a city per year, than a little town makes it something like:"there are shootings all the time and everybody carries guns"

The first time I went shopping by myself in the city my mom freaked out big time. It could've cost me my life, and the people in the city were insane etc etc. lol

So I can imagine that countrysiders are more afraid of terrorist.

join