It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki & global markets are dumping big time!!! Dow to follow suit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well back to the title of the thread...

The Nikki is falling big time.. -443.00 right now...

When US Retailers say "expect lower consuming" that translates in Chinese and Japanese as "Oh s#t"

In the month of October we saw some of the biggest drops in such a short amount of time, making the Christmas Spectacular seem like it's going to fizzle and pop this year. Where retailers often make 50% of their earnings, a void will be left on their balance sheets.

Asian Markets will suffer big time, as they already are...

The DOW tomorrow imo will all rely on unemployment.. if it's lower then 200k we won't see another major sell off.. if it's higher then 200k we will see yet another continuation of the blood bath.

The more people declared unemployed = the more people who will be foreclosed and not buy any Chinese plastic crap for their kids come Christmas. All in all, it will be another negative day, I think that much is given.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It's the Obama selloff. Why would anyone invest in this market knowing Obama is going to raise the Capital Gains Tax? Wealth will be punished during Obama's 1-term as President. Notice how EVERYTHING was down today except the 10 year treasury note...hint...hint...Obama will not be President in 10 years.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

It just seems to me that Japan is much healthier in their economy than the US. I think it will be the other way around...as Japans market goes, so goes US.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Heh, no. Japan is integrated into our economy, but we consume Japan's exports, not the other way around. They could go belly up tomorrow and the US would just move along to the next Asian country in line to start manufacturing whatever products we demanded (assuming an otherwise strong US economy, that is)... However, if we clam up tomorrow and our importing of products from Japan tanks, Japan will hemorage big time.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Japan has been stagnate/recession for the past 12 years, at least..
They are still very wealthy, but their economic boom has come and gone.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Another contribution to the rising unemployment . . .

Exhibit 1

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The DOW tomorrow imo will all rely on unemployment.. if it's lower then 200k we won't see another major sell off.. if it's higher then 200k we will see yet another continuation of the blood bath.

Exhibit 2

Employers slashed 240,000 jobs in October

Nation’s unemployment rate jumps to a 14-year high of 6.5 percent

updated 9:10 a.m. PT, Fri., Nov. 7, 2008
WASHINGTON - The nation’s unemployment rate bolted to a 14-year high of 6.5 percent in October as another 240,000 jobs were cut, far worse than economists expected and stark proof the economy is deteriorating at an alarmingly rapid pace.

Exhibit 3

Dow 8,943.81 +248.02 (+2.85%)

NASDAQ 1,647.40 +38.70 (+2.41%)

S&P 930.99 +26.11 (+2.89%)

Exhibit 4

Name?

Rockpuck.

Occupation?

Market nostradamus.

Have a seat.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

The problem is Rock is thinking and using logic in predicting a huge selloff after absolutely crappy unemployment numbers (not to mention US automaker Armageddon). This conflicts with the current market in that no logic whatsoever can be applied to it. I feel really bad for the economics majors currently in college who are watching this and trying to learn anything other than "sometimes even traders run around like chickens with their heads cut off." From what I can gather the volitillity and complete absence of reason being seen on Wall Street right now is unprecidented and as unpredictable day to day as watching a tree full of leaves and trying to predict which leaf will be the next to fall off the tree. The only predictions so far that have proven to be true is the overall direction of the market is crappy. ('crappy' should become accepted as a legitimate, technically sound financial term as it will be very appropriate to use over the coming weeks, months, dare I say, years.)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by stander

The problem is Rock is thinking and using logic in predicting a huge selloff after absolutely crappy unemployment numbers...

Aha. So that's what he meant. Too bad that he didn't say so.

The only predictions so far that have proven to be true is the overall direction of the market is crappy. ('crappy' should become accepted as a legitimate, technically sound financial term as it will be very appropriate to use over the coming weeks, months, dare I say, years.)

CRAPPY!!!
That's it!!!!!! That's the job-saving word!!

"The Dow closed crappy (formerly lower) on crappy news from crappy US automakers who reported crappy quarterly losses . . ."

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one here at ATS scratching their head.

How the sam heck does the market bounce after those unemployment numbers.

The market is fundamentally messed up and it amazes me that the Fed charade continues.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one here at ATS scratching their head.

How the sam heck does the market bounce after those unemployment numbers.

The traders know the figures before they are officially released. That's why the DOW slid yesterday and the day before. It has been dealt with and today market moved according to different insider info. Just check my scribble in the top thread. It says that the Dow on Friday will close between 1% gain and 3% loss.

It closed +2.85%, well above my projected upper limit, and I got fired by my boss Rockpuck. I didn't know about the magic CRAPPY word.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I am sure you agree that in a "normal market" pre-2001 if unemployment hit a 14 year high the stocks would sell off...

Especially if that report was right before the Christmas Season.

I cannot say why the stocks rose.. and neither can the media.. except "rate cuts and expectations of rate cuts" .. which the stocks usually sell off after rate cuts anyways.

This market is not following any normal or typical pattern of expectation.. it's completely random, unorganized and Chaotic..

I am glad I can be made a spectacle by Stander though ..

Definition of CRAPPY:

A volatile train wreck.

[edit on 11/7/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks rallied Friday, with investors using Wall Street's record-breaking slide over the last two sessions as a reason to scoop up battered shares, despite a brutal October jobs report and GM's massive quarterly loss.

Cnn.com

Which is the dumbest excuse for a 3% rally I have ever heard of.

Oh the companies are failing, but since they are now officially penny stocks, lets buy them up before they report another massive quarterly loss!

A market that runs of speculation, and not by the strength of a company, does NOT represent the economy.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
One thing that has struck me is the huge change in overall trading volume, compared to say three months ago. I haven't studied this much; has anyone looked into this and gathered hard data?

It indicates to me, that various 'classes' of investors (as defined by behaviour) have left the market entirely, and others have stayed. Thus the change in the market 'psychology'.

Anyone have any theories on this?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I am glad I can be made a spectacle by Stander though ..

I got fired too. (I'm that guy sitting to left in the unemployment office.) I wasn't that optimistic in figuring the gain that the Dow would show today.

Hey, Rockpuck, I can help you out with a tip how to make a bundle. Just go here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join