It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government black boxes will 'collect every email'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Government black boxes will 'collect every email'

www.independent.co.uk

Internet "black boxes" will be used to collect every email and web visit in the UK under the Government's plans for a giant "big brother" database, The Independent has learnt.

Home Office officials have told senior figures from the internet and telecommunications industries that the "black box" technology could automatically retain and store raw data from the web before transferring it to a giant central database controlled by the Government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
is it just me or is the united kingdom reminding us more and more of Orwell's novel - Nineteen Eighty Four?

I wonder where are all the demonstrations from the public opposing these plans? Or is everyone so afraid by the 'terrorist' threat that they will accept their liberties being striped away till nothing is left...

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
well, they do have Echelon already so...

nonetheless, this "blackbox" thing is nothing else
but an attempt by ruling elite to eliminate any
seed of revolution or any other thread to their
status that we (slaves) may come up at some point.

at one point, they will close ATS.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
the Echelon may be, but why is it that the average citizen doesnt pay attention to these things?

I have lived both in the UK and in Australia and i can gaurantee that 95% of the people won't even know what the echelon is.

where are the protests? the marches? the demand for truth? ... or is it that as long as the sheeple have their flat screen tvs and xbox's then the powers that be can get away with anything????

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Google already does that & has been doing that for a long time: Google is the government's best friend. Google never deletes anything! All Search words & results, all emails...Literally everything that passes through Google's servers is saved forever.

Even though certain privacy laws make Google keep a lid on all that data, there's a time limit on that privacy...But since Google keeps everything forever, once that time limit is passed, they can reveal anything to anyone they want.

But you can certainly bet that if the PTB have a good (if technically unlawful) reason to demand any of Google's data, you can bet your sweet bippy that they'll get it. In short, Google happens to be one of the most prominent (& most publicly known) "black boxes" the government can use.

That's the primary reason why I switched to using Scroogle. This link goes directly to the Scroogle Scraper, where your Search is actually entered, but the website has a lot of interesting reading, starting on their Home Page & linked throughout the site.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Book code is a tough nut for computers to crack for secure communications between friends. Just buy the same book version. Don't use recently published books, bibles, etc. Tech manuals and maintenance manuals are good. It will help against big brother but not defeat him.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is why I often tag my emails, and other certian electronic messages with the folowing signature. Feel free to use as is or change for your own uses.

"This message may have been intercepted and read by U.S. Government Agencies including the FBI, CIA, and NSA without notice or warrant or knowledge of sender or recipient."

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
This is why I often tag my emails, and other certian electronic messages with the folowing signature. Feel free to use as is or change for your own uses.

"This message may have been intercepted and read by U.S. Government Agencies including the FBI, CIA, and NSA without notice or warrant or knowledge of sender or recipient."

lol, i think u'r definitely onto the right strategy but it's sad to see that the internet is fast being clamped down till we will have to be careful what we say or search for.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 04326
where are the protests? the marches? the demand for truth? ... or is it that as long as the sheeple have their flat screen tvs and xbox's then the powers that be can get away with anything????

It seems that way doesent it. I think the best you can do is drop people little nuggets of information and hope they join the dots themselves before its too late (probably is too late IMO). I have mentioned echelon to my friends and they look at me like i am a mental paranoid type person rather than someone who is informed. I liked how the press dropped the news of road charging using number plate recognition during this election media frenzy. More spying on its citizens.

The UK is a great place to implement NWO ideas, hell if the brits actually get of their arses from watching celebrity come dancing and protest about something it gives you an idea of how well it would go down in another country. 2 million march against the war, well we had better get that spin machine working overtime....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well I know it has been almost 2 years or more since announced that most of the major ISP's have forcibly installed appliances owned by the FBI or possibly other agencies in their interior gateways of their internet access points, I believe almost 100% of traffic is logged, filtered and instantly accessible by the government law enforcement agencies and intelligence.

This would also apply to email being captured too, and with there possibly being functionality of most published software used as OS other extensible functionality has been included for national security purpose allowing backdoors and other higher privilege control and access, I would bet the government has one hand up because of that fact too, increasing the chances that they easily have ways to unencrypt anything and decipher what is coming through without brute force.

I think most people know nothing about the filters though, that these agencies can log into, review logs and traffic remotely on the appliances, most people at least here in the U.S. more than likely think anything they do is mostly anonymous and the business of say verizon and you, but people should think again, the trail of traffic from your pc to and from your isp goes through a federal government device 24/7, everything is logged, archived and data warehoused so even if you cover your tracks locally on the computer they have a way to trace back without using a high degree of difficulty.

In most cases there is no need to get a warrant to sift and surveil, I would be willing to bet they look at whoever and whatever they want...

[edit on 5-11-2008 by phinubian]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
NWO is here now. Statistan, UKistan, OZistan, Canuckistan in effect!!!!!

I've heard a lot of talk about NWO, digital segregation, web 2.0 and control of the masses online but I've noticed a reality in my travels as of late that are simply disturbing.

In a trip to Canada, recently, I've noticed sites wanting to set regional cookies, much like a DVD does before it let's the digital stream to your TV/Monitor/Theater.
Some dot com sites for example... CNN, ASKMEN, FACEBOOK, YAHOO, GOOGLE. You expect the world and you are force fed a region! If you would like an example... Do this... Disable cookies and make your browser prompt you for each cookie's permission. Watch how many trackers you are flooded with in a google image search for any given popular celebrity. This works particularly well on current events of a political nature. The problem is, even if you have an IP out of state/country/region, the last couple hops before your ip are recorded. Yes... Even with an anonymous service, the packet still needs to know how to get to you so EVERY hop is recorded at least on the last hop before you and has the ability to "call home". True anonymity is LONG GONE. Let's not even get into the agencies, thawte and all, SSL technology, PGP etc... Someone holds a record as it is now law almost the world over. I believe the limitation is 2 whole years on everything traveling the web. Also, the available encryption services available to any paying subscriber of any service is easily decrypted. The latest technology available is light years behind the closed technologies.

Some of my work, it brings me over many borders, digitally, and requires me to enlist the services of various DNS/IP providers in order to get through the media censors and retrieve or test information & its availability for governmental, public and private interests. This is no longer possible for me and now my hat is officially hung on it's proper hook in the museum of freedom.

In the past few months I've noticed an EXTREME regionalization of the web leading me to conclude that the controls are in place now for net censorship worldwide. The latest offering of a firewall in Australia is an example. This doesn't seem globalized but it is. Digital segregation in a control grid of a larger matrix. "For some eyes only."

It's already here in the US, UK, Australia & Canada. Now that might not seem like a world control grid but when you censor and control the free nations on earth then, yes, you control the free thinkers, speakers.
My assessment is that the free nations on this planet have to come down a level for the closed nations to come up a level.

I found myself angry to a degree I've never been on my last assignment in "Canuckistan".

Digital globalization? Or making the free, LESS FREE?
It is NOW, the NWO, not coming.
^^^It is damn well here already^^^.

Now... What to do to UNDO it all? NOTHING. It's far too late and don't trust ANY security certificates or assurances of privacy as they haven't existed in true form for YEARS. Even the best of the best services.

I'm not hijacking your thread but I just posted something of similar nature. Let me assure you that the technology discussed in this article is LONG in place. There have been appliances on every major truck since the clinton years. It's just that they are going down a level. Pretty soon your routers will collect. Technically they sort of do now.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Ok, population of UK is over 62,000,000.

You can collect all the information you want from all the people there, but you still need a minimal 100 to 1 ratio of civilians to watchers to be able to monitor each civilian adequately.

That means they will have to employ 620,000 people at minimum to watch each person in the UK.

Not going to happen.

Without AI, any monitoring scheme is merely a scare threat, and nothing more.

So go about your business everyone, take interest and read up on whatever you feel like, because there's no way in hell the government can watch all of your curiosity endeavors at once.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Without AI, any monitoring scheme is merely a scare threat, and nothing more.

So go about your business everyone, take interest and read up on whatever you feel like, because there's no way in hell the government can watch all of your curiosity endeavors at once.

i understand what ur saying but i find it hard to believe that the censorship laws and monitoring is not a current reality. I agree with you that the powers that be may be resources poor at the moment and may not be able to individually monitor our emails etc, but i am completely positive that it is another step towards a complete 'big brother' scenario. After all, it wasn't that long ago when the idea of automation that mines information on users and their personal browsing habits to generate targeted advertising was stuff of science fiction.

if one really thinks about it, it is as simple as a network of computers paying attention to what website you chose to read and what combination of words one types onto the system... i.e. while your logged onto the 'network', the network is gathering data about you. Sounds very familiar to a system already in place doesn't it????

(Edited to correct spelling)

[edit on 6-11-2008 by 04326]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
There must be some way to counteract these "black boxes"? God I hate this government, especially Jacqui Smith

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I note that the first thing I get when trying to message this forum is

Additionally, your IP address (87.114.137.140) will be recorded with your reply, but kept private.

Which is the ip address of the anonymous proxy I go through so I went 'live' without a proxy and I get

Additionally, your IP address (87.114.137.140) will be recorded with your reply, but kept private.

Well, thats a wast of time because I pull the plug on my connection every other day in order to get a new ip address. so forget tracing me through my ip address.

So big brother is already here on this forum!!

What I wanted to say was that the easiest way not to be monitored is not to use email. I dont and wont. Have hated the email communiation - what a waste of time it is. It came to our offices about 13 years ago and my opinion was formed then and hasnet changed. I just dont use email.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
the nwo.. if not the select group all our conspiracy theories say.. is the government themselfs..
the nwo is only half as dangerous as the very people we have put in power and relied apon for decades... our leaders.. our parties... our spokesmen.. our government.. theyr the ones who have a hand in our everyday life.. we would dissapear off the map never known to be existed.. if they just willed it.. the greatest power.. the greatest wielder of evil if it so wishes.. are just the people who pass laws we see every day

new topics

top topics

join