It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same-sex marriage ban wins; opponents sue to block measure

page: 1.
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Same-sex marriage ban wins; opponents sue to block measure

www.sfgate.com

(11-05) 12:48 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- After a heated, divisive campaign fueled by a record $73 million of spending, California voters have approved Proposition 8, which would change the state Constitution to ban same-sex marriage. Opponents promptly filed suit to try to block the measure from taking effect.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Californias Proposition 8
Prop. 8
Yes on Prop 8 in CA appears to be winning
Prop 8 Passed. We take a step back.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I wonder if there is any money left in the coffers for the supports of the bill.

I find it very strange, and a bit of a conspiracy that it took $73 Million dollars to barely get this bill passed. That is like two million dollars for every resident of the state.

Seems like it sure took a lot to change the minds of the residents of California in order for them to pass this.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The people are going to fight swiftly and ferociously against this measure that barely passed. Let the right wingers pour their money into hurting other families because of their religious beliefs; I have no doubts that history will remember them as it should. They are fighting the inevitable.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thank god, man, allah, what ever you want! I'm not even religious but this whole frekin same sex marriage sheet disturbs me!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Typical leftist reaction though.
If when the "majority rule" system doesn't give you what you want - go try to find a single lefty judge to rule in your favor.
Now THAT is what is sickening.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The people that are already married should be allowed to stay married, though. Or at least I think so.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

What's even funnier is that twice the people of California have said what they want as the law of the land and still people are trying to thwart it. First the courts try to legislate, then the people override it and still they are going to try and block the will of the people. Why can't the people of California decide what they want as the law?

link   

Originally posted by JustTheFacts
Typical leftist reaction though.
If when the "majority rule" system doesn't give you what you want - go try to find a single lefty judge to rule in your favor.
Now THAT is what is sickening.

They’re fighting this because it is unconstitutional. It is not about “leftist” mentality. The majority should not be allowed to vote on issues like rights of minorities. Our constitutional rights should not be up for votes.

link   
Oh if you think it's over in CALI you are sadly mistaken!

Get ready to be pounded into submission you religous bigots!!

Move to Utah they'll love your immortal souls there! You can send your gay garbage back to us here in CA, we're used to welcoming them and providing homes and understanding!

Did you know the gays tend to be well educated, successful proffessionals.

So you can keep your "mouth breathers" and sign em up for the military!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Because the people of California should not be allowed to decide what other voters rights are. That’s what the constitution and our courts are for.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Funny but the majority of the votes for Prop 8 were African American and Latino population mostly first time voters who helped tip the scales for Obama, the religious voters were only about 50% go figure!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

The people of California have followed the correct procedures to implement a law, twice now. The latest is a constitutional amendment to the Californian Constitution, done with the proper procedures. You contend that the law is a violation of the Constitution, let the U.S. Supreme Court decide it then. Will you still argue against it after they rule on it if they support the ammendment?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Of course. The courts also supported Jim Crowe laws. The government has gone against the constitution before; it does not automatically mean they are in the right.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
db

[edit on 5-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Let the Supreme Court of the U.S. decide the case then. I will abide by it's decision, will you?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If that decision is supported by the constitution? Absolutely.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
If that decision is supported by the constitution? Absolutely.

Giving yourself some wiggle room there. If they were to decide it was constitutional, wouldn't that imply their decision was supported by the Constitution? I get the distinct feeling you would not support a decision by the Court that you disagreed with even if it had the proper Constitutional review.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I’d clearly have to be an idiot to agree to something I don’t know the out come of. Just because a court claims something is constitutional does not automatically make it so; I’ve given examples of that. I thought my answer was clear. As for your “feeling” that’s fine with me, you have ever right to it.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Your obviously hetrophobe, you love all that homo culture stuff and that is impareing your mental ability. If it was proved constitutional, voted through by your congress and also passed a vote (like it already has) in California, you would still object.

Hey the minority is just that, stop trying to push your homo ways onto the majority. Same sex marriages are not needed to practice your homosexual ways, you just use it to give some sort of justification to your act. Heck since deep down every homosexual has some feeling of what they do being wrong (although almost no one would admit it), you need some way to justify it to yourself, otherwise if you felt it was right, you would not need any justification or approval from others.

End of the day I say this is nothing more than a minority who is trying to force their way of living onto others, so they will accept the minority as right. People have finally decided to stand up against it, even if they may be labeled homophobe or any other vulgar names you wish to call them (in an attempt to shame them into conformity).

People have the right to have their children grown up to be god fearing, marry a nice girl/man and have lovely, God fearing children of their own. Being bombarded by all the homosexual culture trying to be forced down our necks, it is no wonder people are begining to object to the homosexual ways. Good on them and may they succeed.

p.s no flames please, and I am not homophobe, you can do as you like in your own homes, just I will not condone it simply because you do it, I fear God and he has taught us homosexuality is wrong. Those who fear God will agree, those who fear no one will not, those who are too ignorant will just side with anyone based on wanting to belong to a cause.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Saf85

We’re already getting to personal critiques in this thread? How very telling. I’m not calling anyone who opposed this measure a homophobe; I think it is unfair and stereotypical to do so. I don’t assume people are “haters” or fear gays because they support these measures. I’d like the same courteousy, but some people don’t show it. I expressed an opinion that I have a right to and I will act on that opinion by doing everything in my power to oppose this measure and what comes with it. You can think whatever you wish about this, I won’t hold your assumptions and ignorance against you.

EDIT: As for your other arguments I addressed many of them here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

From page 8 to 16. Please do come to that board and continue the discussion with me if you wish.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

[edit on 6-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join