It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis / Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hey guys

Ok i have thought about this alot and read alot into Atlantis, i want to give my opinion on the location of Atlantis and how it relates to Antarctica.

"I know this is a crude drawing of the earth its just for demonstation purposes"

Where the worlds sits at the moment see's Antarctica at the south pole surrounded by ice, but plato said that Atlantis was to the west in the Atlantic ocean. Ok i agree it probably was but if you add a pole shift into the mix this is what u may get...

So maybe do you think that Atlantis could be Antarctica but covered in ice, when plato said it sank he didnt mean in the literal sense just that it was under loads of ice and unreachable at the time due to lack of technology.

Your Thoughts?

SD

[edit on 5-11-2008 by StrangeyD]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
hmmm...i'm not an expert on atlantida theories..but that's an
interesting thought.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeyD

en.wikipedia.org...

Antartica's history doesn't really bear that idea out. it's been covered in ice for about 6 million years. The ice has been building up for about 15 million years. There's no evidence for any of the structures Plato mentioned either, or really any evidence of a civilization, advanced or otherwise.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
i never specified a date for the pole shift... do we know for definate that the plato account wasnt copied from an even older account of atlantis being lost..

Thanks for comments

SD

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Interesting theory, but I'm not sure the dates work out right, but its not like we know for sure the dates Antarctica was ice bound or when the pole shifts happen. I've always found the Piri Reis Map facinating, have you checked that out at all? Odd that for a continent that was covered in ice for 6 mill years, it was mapped quite accurately.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by NationAstray]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Stargate SG-1 thought of it first.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
Stargate SG-1 thought of it first.

Yes dont you find that interesting!!

I do because maybe they found it there and are giving us little bits of information via media just little bits to tickle the imagination..

SD

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
From your illustration you seem to believe that the axis of Earth's rotation has significantly changed over time (90 degrees)

There is no evidence of such a shift of the Earth's axis of rotation. Precession causes an apparent shift in relation to the stars but the actual axis of rotation does not change. The south pole has been the south pole for a very very long time. There is no known mechanism for such a change other than a hugely cataclysmic event which would not have only destroyed Atlantis but all life on Earth.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Well, since Plato came from an area where there were a large number of civilizations that disappeared from wave activity, I think it's more likely that it's a more local account.

Again, there's no evidence of any settlements on Antarctica, certainly nothing remaining of a fairly advanced civilization. Civilization has been around for roughly 10,000 years, roughly.
Meaning, Antartica has been covered for MUCH longer than it's been around.

The last pole shift occurred about 20 million years ago, and was about 50 degrees.
Again, much to long ago for your time frame.

Edit: Last pole shift was 20 million, but you may mean a pole reversal. The last one there occurred around 780 thousand years ago. Little more recent, but still far to old.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by RuneSpider]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies!!

But my point is if the world was on that axis at the time Antarctica would be a good candidate for Atlantis due to it being in the Atlantic ocean and if the world was at that axis would be in the right place and around about the right size..

SD

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NationAstray

The Piri Reis map is not particularly accurate and does not depict Antarctica without ice.
www.uwgb.edu...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Cool, I was trying to get a good detail of the map to compare.

Here's a older thread about the idea:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But my point is if the world was on that axis at the time Antarctica would be a good candidate for Atlantis due to it being in the Atlantic ocean and if the world was at that axis would be in the right place and around about the right size..

You're right, if you ignore all evidence to the contrary, Antarctica could be Atlantis.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by Phage

Cool, I was trying to get a good detail of the map to compare.

Here's a older thread about the idea:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You're right, if you ignore all evidence to the contrary, Antarctica could be Atlantis.

Call me argumentive but what if all the evidence to the contrart was placed there to make us think that Antarctica is not Atlantis, It makes you think that today the most hostile and uninhabitable place on earth is Antarctica and we have a base there and so do alot of the other countrys of the world, whats the importance....

You will probably say mineral and resource deposits yes i agree but i also think we are made to believe that antarctica is less accessable than what we are told.... and for a suspisious reason..

SD

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

So... the government change the axis of the earth, created the ice sheets, changed the pi ries map, and the geological evidence as well has hiding all evidence that there existed a civilization there?

[edit on 6-11-2008 by RuneSpider]

top topics

join