It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

32 people killed every single day

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be more logical to try and stop the action instead of blame the object? I would think people as passionate as you about gun violence would be more willing to set up programs to teach these murderers why they shouldn't be doing this. Do you think that guns, because they are so easy, give incentive to these people to murder, or is it that they would murder with/without guns, and just so happen to choose them because they are easy. How do you know that they still would not murder if guns were prohibited?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
those are the facts. gun deaths come in second place only to vehicle accidents.

stop and think about it.

Wait, you STOP and THINK. Those are the facts huh?

NCHS

In the US in 2005

Number of deaths for leading causes of death in :

Heart disease: 652,091

Cancer: 559,312

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 143,579

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 130,933

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 117,809

Diabetes: 75,119

Alzheimer's disease: 71,599

Influenza/Pneumonia: 63,001

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 43,901

Septicemia: 34,136

Get your facts straight before you start posting bad info.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by schism85]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I feel much safer relying on my firearms, than assuming that the police will be ready to protect me against anything at all, at the drop of a hat.

5 words: from my cold dead hands.

link   
because guns are an easy way to kill. without them people wouldnt go through the same effort with stabbings. a gun is a simple shot and your dead. any other method if killing isnt so easy.

link   

because guns are an easy way to kill. without them people wouldnt go through the same effort with stabbings. a gun is a simple shot and your dead. any other method if killing isnt so easy.

right, because before guns, murder was just too hard that nobody bothered. Come on now.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by schism85

those are the facts. gun deaths come in second place only to vehicle accidents.

stop and think about it.

Wait, you STOP and THINK. Those are the facts huh?

In the US in 2005

Number of deaths for leading causes of death in :

Heart disease: 652,091

Cancer: 559,312

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 143,579

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 130,933

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 117,809

Diabetes: 75,119

Alzheimer's disease: 71,599

Influenza/Pneumonia: 63,001

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 43,901

Septicemia: 34,136

Get your facts straight before you start posting bad info.

Gun deaths are SECOND to vehicle deaths, disregarding the health issues.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

How do you know this? Do you know all criminals minds?
Do you understand the horrible problem in the UK with stabbings?
Have you ever tried to fight off a knife? You will probably loose.

CRIMINALS dont care if the law says: NO GUNS

Please, again, tell me what YOUR solution is to criminals obtaining ILLEGAL weapons? How do you stop this???

Your stance is weak. It doesnt hold any water.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by greeneyedleo]

link   
What if YOU were shot? Do you have firearms training? Can you defend yourself? With out a weapon?

So, moot point. People are different, some are crazed criminals and some are not.

If you take away my firearm, you take away my defense mechanism versus others who obtain them illegally. There is a massive black market for them. Look how well we do against drugs and compare how many drug deaths there are per day versus gun deaths. Criminals shouldn't be allowed firearms, the citizens should have them.

Extrapolate, please.

link   

Originally posted by scientist

right, because before guns, murder was just too hard that nobody bothered. Come on now.

id like you to tell me then why these other countries only have a few murders per year, and they dont allow guns.

help me understand that issue if you are going to try and make a point about this

link   
reply to post by calihan123

Please show me where you are getting your facts from.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

id like you to tell me then why these other countries only have a few murders per year, and they dont allow guns.

help me understand that issue if you are going to try and make a point about this

Site your source.
You can NOT provide "stats" with no facts/source to back it up. Otherwise its just made up stuff.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
As fast as this thread is moving, there has not been one single valid point made as to why America should ban guns. All I have seen is a regurgitation of 'other countries have less gun violence' and 'x many people die from guns'. That is simply not a reasonable argument.

link   
simply look it up.

look up gun laws in canada and the UK and how many murders per year there are in either one of those places.

link   

Originally posted by schism85
reply to post by calihan123

Please show me where you are getting your facts from.

co-sign. Lets see your source first, before you start demanding a rebuttal.

"Look it up."

Those are the words of someone without an actual source.

edit: to be more specific, show your source for this statement:

"why these other countries only have a few murders per year, and they dont allow guns. "

and while you are at it, define exactly what "other countries" you mean. Just the UK and Canada?

[edit on 5-11-2008 by scientist]

link   

Originally posted by calihan 123
because guns are an easy way to kill. without them people wouldn't go through the same effort with stabbings. a gun is a simple shot and your dead. any other method if killing isnt so easy.

Now that's not at all true!!!
you want to kill people indiscriminently then you got go with a landmine!

Quick facts about landmines
It costs US $ 3 to 10 to produce, but costs US $ 200 to 1000 to destroy it.
It needs US $ 3500 to 5000 for a landmine victim for his/her medical care, prosthetics and rehabilitation.
Every year around 26,000 people are injured by it of which 30 to 40 percent are children. The existing ratio of landmines is 1 to every 12 children.

In Cambodia alone, more than, 35,000 people are maimed and more than one person in every 200 victims of landmine are amputees.
Every year approximately 5 million mines are produced and 2.5 million are laid on the ground of which only 1 million are deactivated or destroyed.
Around 11 billion mines are laid in more than 60 countries across the globe.
According to the estimation, 5 million mines were laid in former Yugoslavia after the conflict began there.
Tens of thousands mines were planted in Rwanda during its conflict in 1994.
Countries worst-affected by landmines include Afghanistan, Angola, Cambodia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Kuwait, Mozambique, Somalia, Sudan and former Yugoslavia.
Main countries producing and exporting Landmines are the USA, China, Belgium, Bulgaria, former Czechoslovakia, France, Hungary, Italy, former USSR, UK and former Yugoslavia.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

simply look it up.

look up gun laws in canada and the UK and how many murders per year there are in either one of those places.

THAT is not how it works here. YOU make the claim, you back it up with factual stats.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
no, its just easy. go to goole. look it up.

im not gonna do all the work for you i already gave you a bunch of facts.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

No, Scientist, I think she is right.

Europeans discovered gunpowder around 1250, and around a hundred years later when the first primitive firearms were invented - came the first murders.

It was so much more convenient and not as messy.

So that's just about right. No murders until 1250 AD.

We had a guy killed here locally with a crow bar about two weeks ago. I don't know what this dumb SOB was thinking . . .

link   
its actually pretty amazing how passionate everyone is about having guns in this country.

that scares me.

link   
Facts or no facts, you have not given a single fact which would lead any of us to believe that murder is reduced as a result of the banning of guns.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join