It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

32 people killed every single day

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by irishjon1973

Its quite a well known and accepted fact that almost all human beings require somesort of social contact and interaction with other human beings. Even after a few weeks the mind starts to crack, people will begin to talk to other people that they create in their own heads and after a few months people will actually start ignoring the environment their in and begin to mentally implode and begin to ingore their own needs. A high percentage of people if left in a complete solitude would eventually commit suicide or their mentality would become unraveled to the point beyond repair.

Basically, if most people on the planet became the last person on Earth, they would most likely turn into a mumbling, stumbling, mental vegetable or kill themselves.

Just something to read.
serendip.brynmawr.edu...

Isolation can cause...

and can cause...

[edit on 6/11/08 by Pfeil]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Sonya, you seem to have the data to back up your statements ,
can you tell me how many of "that 6%" are armed to protect themselves from their neighbours and subsequently find themselves shooting or being shot ?

Spanning the distance from a street in Compton to a field in Montana under the umbrella of the constitution is quite a feat, as you cited ,Norway's ethnicity is a lot less diverse , do you think that there is a latent paranoia associated with multiculturalism ?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
im talking about a situation we could actually change.

cancer we cant. vehicles we cant. but guns we can.

Look in ATS about cancer tratment - it is all solved, but will not go mainstreem because of profits made from inusrances, treatment....

[edit on 6-11-2008 by FIFIGI]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I am human i like to blow stuff up Its better to have it ,and not need it ,than need it and not have it
I like the thought of have a home defence big gun with lots of bullets armor peicing is good . smart crimials were bullet proof vests ,and they carrie big guns and more than one. And gosh darn if they are all over i think the call it big brother that it for now
let live and let live peace out my brother and sister fellow humans

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
While there is a point about how the black population in the US skews the numbers, I don't think it is an ethnic thing, as much as a cultural thing. A culture of entitlement has been fostered in the US for the purpose of buying votes, and when these same people dont get everything they want, they tend to feel "oppressed" and go rogue. It just so happens that the black culture has emphatically embraced entitlement and the oppression that comes with it, and it has become a self-perpetuating nightmare rampant with crime and murder. Removing guns wouldnt change a thing. They would be the same if they only had sticks and rocks, and long as we allow those in power to use our tax money to grow entitlement and nurture the cultural divides amongst us.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
Sonya, you seem to have the data to back up your statements, can you tell me how many of "that 6%" are armed to protect themselves from their neighbours and subsequently find themselves shooting or being shot?

Spanning the distance from a street in Compton to a field in Montana under the umbrella of the constitution is quite a feat, as you cited ,Norway's ethnicity is a lot less diverse , do you think that there is a latent paranoia associated with multiculturalism ?

Well the 6% refers to African-American males. African-Americans are typically less likely to own legal firearms and they are more likely to support gun control. I think the percentage of African-Americans that purchase and keep guns legally for home defense is probably pretty low compared to the rest of the U.S. population.

Whether there is latent paranoia associated with multiculturalism. All depends on how one defines paranoia. Sure people will get annoyed with others from different cultures, that is to be expected when there are overt differences. However being annoyed by different languages, different forms of courtesy, different styles of dress, etc… is one thing. That is not really paranoia.

If you hike into the wilderness and you have a clue about the wildlife, you will probably be a lot more “paranoid” when coming across a bear or cougar than you would rabbits or deer. Why? Because statistically one is far more likely to attack you and cause serious harm. That is not paranoia, that is basic common sense. Same rule applies to people, if statistically they are far more likely to rob, rape, carjack, or burglarize you, you would be wise to understand the risks and be cautious.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnine_sweet
While there is a point about how the black population in the US skews the numbers, I don't think it is an ethnic thing, as much as a cultural thing.

Removing guns wouldnt change a thing. They would be the same if they only had sticks and rocks, and long as we allow those in power to use our tax money to grow entitlement and nurture the cultural divides amongst us.

Yeah well, keep in mind the same problems regarding crime exist wherever they exist, statistically they are much more likely to end up in prison no matter what country they reside in. Europe, Asia, the Americas, all the same except the population varies.

The U.S. will never be "gun free". Firearms will always be smuggled in. But even if every gun disappeared there are still plenty of other weapons. Heck machetes are popular, hundreds of thousands have been killed with machetes just in the last decade, even mass murders are quite possible with machetes.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If guns kill people, spoons made Roesy O'Donald fat.

What we need are leaders to demand that those who commit crimes with guns are put away for a very long time. While the bad guys are put away
let them make little rocks out of big rocks. Don't let them lay on their a$$es.

These people chose of their own free will to do bad things.
I don't want to hear about how some people were raised poorly and all that. I refuse to belive people do not know right from wrong.

Wake up! There are bad people that are going to do bad things.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

The next time some disillusioned kid goes on a rampage in a school or college, stalking the class rooms, one by one executing your children in cold blood, then PLEASE don't mention it on this website... Unless of course you believe that those children would have eventually died in a vehicle accident or developed cancer at some point of their lives anyway....

You seem to forget one important fact: EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTRY IS A GUN-FREE ZONE!

If the claims of gun control working actually were plausible, then there would be no shooting incidents in schools. Every single one that has happened since Columbine has occurred where guns are strictly illegal... just as you would apparently have the whole country.

Why, oh why... Can't the gun freaks accept that GUNS KILL PEOPLE?

Why, oh why, can't you accept the fact that your experiment was tried, with the guinea pigs being the youngest and most vulnerable people in society, the children... and it FAILED.

You got your chance, you ran your experiment. Now accept the results and move on.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Yeah well, keep in mind the same problems regarding crime exist wherever they exist, statistically they are much more likely to end up in prison no matter what country they reside in. Europe, Asia, the Americas, all the same except the population varies.

Are you saying that there is a genetic predisposition among black people to commit crime / murder ?
Surely if your statistic is correct and there are more dark skinned people in prison etc throughout the world, would socio-economic factors associated to a racist past, not be an obvious contributing factor.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
Are you saying that there is a genetic predisposition among black people to commit crime / murder? Surely if your statistic is correct and there are more dark skinned people in prison etc throughout the world, would socio-economic factors associated to a racist past, not be an obvious contributing factor.

I have no idea if there is a "genetic predisposition" to crime or murder. However there are some other rather obvious and well documented likely reasons. I am not going to get into all that because it would take the thread way way off topic...suffice to say 15 iq points make a huge difference and that can explain a whole lot when some groups have continual problems competing for jobs and elevating their socio-economic status. Some will say iq is false, that is fine, however the evidence is clear all over the world.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

I have no idea if there is a "genetic predisposition" to crime or murder. However there are some other rather obvious and well documented likely reasons. I am not going to get into all that because it would take the thread way way off topic...suffice to say 15 iq points make a huge difference and that can explain a whole lot when some groups have continual problems competing for jobs and elevating their socio-economic status. Some will say iq is false, that is fine, however the evidence is clear all over the world.

".. some other rather obvious and well documented likely reasons..........."
please do go on ....
I don`t think this is throwing a tangent to the OP theme.

edit;tidy up

[edit on 6-11-2008 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Sorry.

I'm gonna have to go along with MrPenny on this one.

Put up a reliable list of ALL causes of death in the U.S. than has guns being in the top three, and then you might be able to convince others that gun violence is a problem.

Even if you can do that, it will still be a tough sell.

You have the same constitutional rights as everyone else in this country, and most people don't want to give them up.

It's all or nothing. Love it or leave it, plain and simple. If you don't like how it is here, go elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

The "crime-ridden ghettos" are actually the places where it is most difficult to legally purchase and own a firearm. I hate to get into the arms race mentality, but criminals will not, in a country this large and with thousands of miles of borders and coasts, ever have trouble illegally obtaining weapons. Why is it fair to deny the people who have no choice but to live in high-crime areas the right to defend themselves?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Most criminals don't even have registered weapons. Disarming the citizens puts them in severe danger. Sadly this is the way things work. If someone breaks into my house with a pistol nothing I have other than a gun or a slingshot (SC lol) will do much good. I would like to know what the statistics are on people whom saved themselves by owning a gun.

[edit on 6/11/08 by toochaos4u]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Calihan while I appreciate your idealism, and maybe one day we can mature as a species to live in a peaceful society not based on materialism. Until I prefer to be safe than sorry. As well, as most have argued here, to take away guns is like putting up a security gate at an apartment complex. It just keeps honest people honest and that's all.

You want to end violence and 99 percent of all the world's rest of the problems? Go talk to the Rockefellers and Rothchilds, and the other 1 percent of the world's population who has 50 percent of the world's wealth and ask them to give up their control of the world.

Barring that, I hope you are not relying on your idealism to save you should you encounter the wrong person(s) at the wrong time and even more so I hope you are wise enough to be able to avoid any such situation in the first place.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by schism85
Have you ever heard of home protection? If someone busts in your house some day with a gun, you will not be singing that same tune.

listen to yourself. if someone comes into your house with a gun...

exactly my point. they wouldnt HAVE a gun if they werent allowed.

O BOY!

You have to be kidding right.... knock knock.. criminals do not follow the law.

Tons and Tons of dope are smuggled into this country every year, do you think for one second that every criminal won't have a gun...

Smoke another one.. .LOL

Anyway, sure .. murders are down in Britain.. but guess what.. burglary, home invasion, etc is NOW GREATER than that of the US.

The thieves just in... most of the time WHILE YOUR THERE.

www.wmsa.net...

The murder rates of the U.S. and U.K. are also affected by differences in the way each counts homicides. The FBI asks police to list every homicide as murder, even if the case isn’t subsequently prosecuted or proceeds on a lesser charge, making the U.S. numbers as high as possible. By contrast, the English police "massage down" the homicide statistics, tracking each case through the courts and removing it if it is reduced to a lesser charge or determined to be an accident or self-defense, making the English numbers as low as possible.

Oh.. ya know, now they want to ban knives... next it will be sporks!

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.sky.com...

LOL

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Yay, another anti-gun thread.

So, I will ask a couple of questions.

Have mind altering narcotics been banned?
Are lawful citizens using these narcotics, or are the criminals using them? (note: We will leave marijuana out of this, because many people feel it isn't criminal)

Okay, after answering those two questions, replace "mind altering narcotics" and "narcotics", respectfully, with guns. same concept. Every day 6,850 people use guns in self defense. (a) Imagine what the daily murder rate would be if those people didn't have a gun.

Vermont has one of the lowest murder rates in the country, and has been named one of the safest states in the US. It also has some of the least restricting gun laws, including open carry. How interesting. (b)

I also heard something about the UK in this thread. Can somebody tell me what the murder rate was the year after guns were banned? Also interesting. (c)

Luckily, we live in this glorious nation, and we can choose never to own a gun, as many, many people do. But I will always carry a weapon on me, to protect those that otherwise have no protection, because I care for them too much.

(a) Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun, Journal article by Gary Kleck, Marc Gertz; Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Vol. 86, 1995

(b) statestats.com.... (has state rankings, but no gun laws, will continue looking)

(c) news.bbc.co.uk.... This should work. If not, hopefully you'll go out and do some more research.

[edit] Added source. Changed state error. Looking for UK source now. Also, can't do strikeout, apparently.

[edit] Added news source for UK crime rate. Fixed weird formatting.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by senyushkin]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

its actually pretty amazing how passionate everyone is about having guns in this country.

that scares me.

It's actually pretty amazing how passionate uninformed people are about BANNING guns in this country.

That scares me.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

Yes we do have a high crime rate,but taking guns away is not the answer.
We have to educate,the reason there is alotta crime is due people who have been taught one thing,which is how to ba a criminal.Our education system is dire need of reform.Do you know if someone does a year in jail,costs the same as four years of college.We shouldn't be spending all this money on new prisons.thats like just giving pills to people with problems.You need to find problem.Look at all these video games that
have shoot em up,it becomes the norm.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join