It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh, the Arrogance!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Human beings have, for the most part, obviously decided that we are the pinnacle of evolution or creation, depending on which we believe in. We are the smartest, the best, the only ones with a soul/spirt, the only ones with language, the only ones who change the environment to suit themselves instead of adapting to it. As far as life on this planet is concerned, there's no question that we think we're the best.

However, when considering our position compared to potential life on other planets, we seem to take the opposite view. Yes, there are a few books/shows which have portrayed humanity as unique or really cool, and some abduction theories included the idea that they want us because we are really special (and presumably they don't mean special like kids who ride the short bus).

I have, however, more often seen comments like the following:
"The aliens haven't found us yet. If they had there'd be warning buoys all around the planet."
"If ET is hanging around watching us, why haven't they blown us up yet?"
"Why would any advanced species want to hang around this backwater dump of a violence-ridden excuse for a planet?"

It seems that, like a jealousy-ridden second child, we have decided that if we can't be the best, we're going to be the worst! This is just another kind of arrogance. We can be the best, or the worst, or just really "special," but God (or the Universe?) forbid that we should be average! Where do we get off thinking that we must be either so good or so bad? What arrogance!

When and where did we prove that ideals and values aligned with peace, light, love and harmony are a side effect of advanced technology? I missed the memo. I personally find it just as likely that some race like the Aan (Alan Dean Foster), the Romulans (Star Trek), the Slitheen (Dr. Who), or the Hivers (Anne McCaffrey), could have the advanced technology to reach us without having a least hint of compassion, love, integrity ... or the decency to view us as anything other than food!

I doubt that we are the best species in the universe (unless we're actually the only one) but I also seriously doubt that we're the worst. The aliens who find us may have nothing more valuable to offer us than advanced technology, and in my opinion it is far more likely that most races will be better than us in some respects and worse than us in other respects, than that some wonderful awe-inspiring shining race is going to see us through sad and pity-full eyes as the cockroaches of the universe (but with potential, of course!) and try to "save" us.

Come on folks, let's knock it off with both the arrogance and the reverse arrogance. Most likely we aren't the best or the worst. As much as we'll probably hate it, we'll likely fall out somewhere in the middle. Within normal limits, about average, and all that....

Entry in the 2080 edition of the Universe Common Dictionary:

Humanity: A warm-blooded Simian species native to Earth, the third planet in the Sol system of the Milky Way. Moderately intelligent, some creativity, normally curious, mildly aggressive with a hostility potential of 6 on the Argleblaffer scale. Adult height range 5 - 8 ULU, average weight 45 - 95 GWU. Primarily noteworthy for the astonishing variety and complexity of an auditory art form called "Music."

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Good one ,I haven't even worried about how we stack up to alien cultures since I'm still trying to work out what makes us believe we're the superior species on our own planet! Dolphins have a more refined form of communication and we know they are equal if not superior in intelligence.Horses are far more just moral fair and loving than we are. Elephants and wolves,are in engaged in open warfare against our genocidal policies against them,which means that they are capable of seeing a problem and responding politically.

One of my favorite mental excersizes is looking at things as if I am an alien visitor with no frame of reference . Then try to figure out who's in charge,I think it's the dogs!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I actually think the life on this planet is kinda special and very fascinating. But we humans behave in a very weird way and wrong way. Thats why the et's are visiting us...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by invisiblewoman
Good one ,I haven't even worried about how we stack up to alien cultures
One of my favorite mental excersizes is looking at things as if I am an alien visitor with no frame of reference . Then try to figure out who's in charge,I think it's the dogs!

I think I would vote for the cats. They never do what anyone tells them to, and humans are always catering to them and fussing over them. None of THEM are "working breeds" and the only thing we ever expect them to do besides sleep and look cute is eat!

Like they say, dogs have masters but cats have staff!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagskotpalme
I actually think the life on this planet is kinda special and very fascinating. But we humans behave in a very weird way and wrong way. Thats why the et's are visiting us...

You're right ,I'm not 100% sure about the aliens but we do really need to carefully access what we do to this world and all the innocent lovely things on it.
It really should be a no brainer!
I hope there are signs that we are starting to change the way we do things

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagskotpalme
we humans behave in a very weird way and wrong way. Thats why the et's are visiting us...

weird? wrong? According to who? Did you decide that our behavior is wrong and "weird" based on your own judgment and values? If not, then whose?

How would you (or anyone) know what another race would think of us, or how we act, or what we do?

I think that is one of the biggest mistakes that we are making, is that we assume they will THINK like us. I think that is an even bigger mistake than any assumptions about their appearance. Their thought processes could be so different from ours as to be virtually incomprehensible.

And, IMO, it is another form of arrogance to assume that what we do on our planet is important enough for them to even notice (unless, of course, the planet has resources they need or want), much less be concerned about.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Spot on

Arrogance over ignorance rocks, but most arrogance today is ignorance...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think it all boils down to EGO. The people who act arrogant, are obviously going to be the people who boast. So therefor, there will be a bias in general opinion unless it is taken on an international consensus.
There is a great saying that the thrice great once stated:
"he who speaks does not know, he who knows does not speak"
very wise words indeed.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
I think that is one of the biggest mistakes that we are making, is that we assume they will THINK like us. I think that is an even bigger mistake than any assumptions about their appearance. Their thought processes could be so different from ours as to be virtually incomprehensible.

That is one of the things I like about imagining ET, what will they be like? Just by pondering that the mind broadens and can teach alot about ourselves, how we would appear to a totally different being.

And, IMO, it is another form of arrogance to assume that what we do on our planet is important enough for them to even notice (unless, of course, the planet has resources they need or want), much less be concerned about.

Maybe they're just receiving our radio broadcasts, or those radio signals are harmful to them, interfering with transportation or their own communications? Or they look at us and see our WMD, how we were some centuries ago and can see how we will become once we start to explore the space around us, sooner or later they will have to deal with us (or right now they only give minimal attention out of curiousity, believing we will not survive). Would they have laws that forbids them to intervene in an internal affair which all species have (a kind of sacred law to protect any space races' home world?) only to appear when we go beyond the boundaries of our own solar system and into our neighbour's space?

Maybe they got bets on which country will come out the dominant one and try to influence the outcome? Maybe they are complete pacifists and have been for so long that even a small annoyance (like missing the bus) appears to them as wildly violent? A lot of maybe's, I wouldn't know myself either.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Dragonfly79]

new topics

top topics

join