It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Obama Revolution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

The Obama Revolution

www.politico.com

Nov. 4, 2008, was the day when American politics shifted on its axis.

The ascent of an African-American to the presidency — a victory by a 47-year-old man who was born when segregation was still the law of the land across much of this nation — is a moment so powerful and so obvious that its symbolism needs no commentary.

But it was the reality of power, not the symbolism, that changed Tuesday night in ways more profound than meet the eye.

The rout of the Republican Party, and the accompanying gains by Democrats in Congress, mean that Barack Obama will assume office with vastly more influence in the nation’s capital than most of his recent predecessors have wielded.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
We always hear about the Reagan revolution and what a great president he was.

He wasn't all that great if you were poor, of color, female or gay.

But where we stand today... November 5th 2008... is the dawn of a real revolution in American politics... not some revolt of the haves resenting the have nothings.

Finally... with the election of the first African American to the presidency with a significant majority we can lay to rest the race card in politics... and maybe in culture as well.

We see the formation of a new coalition of African-Americans, Latinos and other ethnic minorities with an increasingly disgruntled and marginalized middle class and a considerable youth vote that crosses all lines.

This is the new majority... the new ruling coalition and if Obama does well... it may control the fate of this country for a long time to come.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-11-2008 by grover]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If Obama can accomplish a quarter of what he has promised... he will be a good president.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
why does everyone keep referring to this guy as 'african-american' ??? lol .. I laugh at how everyone, media included, keeps saying 'first black president' .. no mention though that he's HALF WHITE .. his mother and maternal grandparents are as white as you can get .. why aren't they saying 'first biracial president' ? .. no they must emphasize that he's black .. forget that he's also white .. too funny

.. he's not 'african-american' .. he's 'african-anglo-american' .. why are they omitting his white side ?? hmm

and besides .. someone on this board has pointed out that other Presidents have had black ancestry so he's technically not even the first 'HALF black' president ..

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I don't know where you are located or if you are in this country but generally speaking there really is no such thing as a half black or half white in this country. I know people who are as light skinned as I am and are considered black. Go figure.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
there goes another one .. he's 'biracial' .. why does everyone omit the white side ? LOOK AT HIS MOTHER AND GRANDPARENTS

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I thought Clinton the "first black President" ?

Oh well.

I guess this one is "black-er" or more black, right?

I call foul and demand an asterisk!!

Will the first completely black President get special attention or have all genuinely black individuals been robbed of the honor/attention/warrantless praise by this impostor?

Such important questions for the P.C. historians to ponder.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Obama is most certainly black.

In fact, he is more of an African American than most black people in the U.S. because his father was born in Kenya.

Whatever problems you have with the guy, he was the best option for our country and the majority of people thought so as well. You can detract from his actions all you want but you really can't say he's not black.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Obama is most certainly black.

In fact, he is more of an African American than most black people in the U.S. because his father was born in Kenya.

Whatever problems you have with the guy, he was the best option for our country and the majority of people thought so as well. You can detract from his actions all you want but you really can't say he's not black.

and there goes YET another one .. you mentioned NOTHING about his mother why ? .. 'he is most certainly black' .. yes and he's most certainly white as well .. why didn't you mention that ? people and their selectiveness .. good times

I couldn't care less IF he was fully black .. but he's NOT so let's be correct about that shall we ?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dude77

Why are we discussing this when we should be discussing the thread topic?

Of course he is biracial. no one is denying that but the United States does not have gradations of race like some nations (Brazil immediately comes to mind) though that is changing since more and more people list themselves as other.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Say what you will about Obama but I will tell you this... the last politician that inspired such hope was RFK.

Reagan certainly didn't. I have seen people in tears and so giddy they were all but dancing in the streets.

Love him or hate him this is incredible.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The definition of African American appears to be:

African Americans or Black Americans are citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. In the United States the term is generally used for Americans with at least partial Sub-Saharan African ancestry. ...

Which would mean that Obama can be correctly described as an African American as he has partial ancestry from Sub-Saharan Africa..

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dude77

and there goes YET another one .. you mentioned NOTHING about his mother why ? .. 'he is most certainly black' .. yes and he's most certainly white as well .. why didn't you mention that ? people and their selectiveness .. good times

I couldn't care less IF he was fully black .. but he's NOT so let's be correct about that shall we ?

Did you read the link I posted at all? Or are you colorblind and didn't notice?

Seriously, if you are my apologies. Allow me to explain. In our country there is a social stigma known as the one-drop rule which for lack of a better definition says that anyone who has any trace of African ancestry is considered black unless they can claim another non-white heritage. In other words, someone who is half black is considered black. Someone who is an eighth black is considered black. Just because someone's black doesn't mean they're necessarily 100% African American. We're all mixed up in this country anyway.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dude77

what in gods good name are you talking about
'' mothers white ''
look at the man, he's black.

his mother could be green with poker dots, it makes not a lick of difference.

the mans a true African - American.

What a laugh
... racism has evolved I tells ya.

No longer do you ignore, ridicual and ignore blacks..
but if one should ever receive white favour, he's no longer black.. he's half white!

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I scroll past the bickering over who's mother is what race because I just don't think forcing race issues down our throat is helping get over racism. Evolving racism does nothing to eradicate it period.

I see Barack Obama as a smart man who now better do some good things for this country as per his word.
Congratulations Mr President Elect Obama..........game on.
Hop to it......good luck.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
To stay on topic.

I dont' see it as much as a revolution, but a breaking of the Neo-Cons, and in hope the Christian Right that supports them. Although it is much bigger mandate than Bush claimed he had in 2004. With Obama getting 63,936,544 votes(not final since I don't believe all votes are counted yet), compared to Bush's 62,040,610, that's a difference of almost 2 million. Not only that Kerry got 59,028,444 while McCain has 56,434,101, a difference of 2 and 1/2 million. So it's definately a true mandate with a bigger margin of victory. With a MUCH bigger difference in the popular vote than 4 years ago, twice in fact.

We'll know if it's a revolution when Obama gets to work. If he's succesfull at passing what he has proposed I see great things and a much bigger victory 4 years from now. I just hope there's nothing to all this NAU crap. Cause then neither political party with have any support.

But I digress, truely it's really indicative of what the republican party did to themselves. 4 years ago it was 37% to 37% registered Republican and Democrat. Today it's 32% Republican and 40% Democrat. So playing to there base was not a very good idea at all. My mind is boggled at the McCain camps strategy.

I have high hopes for our Presedential Elect, lets just hope he's giving the shot he deserves to get done what he wants. There's always that damn filibuster.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by djpaec]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I said this in my opening:

We see the formation of a new coalition of African-Americans, Latinos and other ethnic minorities with an increasingly disgruntled and marginalized middle class and a considerable youth vote that crosses all lines.

This is the new majority... the new ruling coalition and if Obama does well... it may control the fate of this country for a long time to come.

And I stand by that. That is why its a revolution... a real one unlike the so called Reagan revolution.

Also its interesting to note with both Sarah Palin and Barack Obama we see the classic baby boomer, those who came of age in the 60's being totally bypassed. While it was pretty obvious that John McCain was the last of his generation to run for president we've only had 2 actual baby boomer presidents... Bill Clinton and bush minor.

Also one last thing about his race... my late wife as I've mentioned was afro-euroasian... her father was Chinese and only her grand father was black. She could have easily passed as Chinese except that as she was growing up the Chinese community in NYC rejected her because she was mixed. Consequently she identified herself as African American. and really that is all that matters... is how you see yourself.

If Barack Obama sees himself as African American (which he certainly is) who are we to gainsay him?

[edit on 6-11-2008 by grover]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
hahaha obama might not be %100 black but his wife is, and now there will be a "black" family dancing around in the white house and it's a beautiful thing! don't try and take this away from the african americans, this is a great moment for them and all america! like it or not!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Oh come on she's caramel. All African Americans are mixed. The only 100% blacks in America these days moved from Africa themselves.

Other than that I agree with you.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

what i meant is she's a "sister"!!! you might argue that obama is half white and his father is kenyan so he aint a real "brother" but you can't make that arguement with michelle. i hate to stoop to this rascist level i'm just being as silly as these people that say obama is not black.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join