It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: Emanuel offered chief of staff job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Obama has made his first choice, Rahm Emmanuel for WH Chief of Staff.

WASHINGTON -- President-elect Barack Obama chose Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanual to be his White House chief of staff, his first selection for the new administration, Democratic officials said Wednesday.

If Emanuel accepts, he would return to the White House where he served as a political and policy adviser to President Clinton.

Several Democrats also said Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry was actively seeking appointment as secretary of State in the new administration.

abclocal.go.com.../politics&id=6489977

Edit: I have seen his surname spelled 3 ways; not sure of the spelling.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I thought Obama was all up in the "Change" bus. How is this selection anything to do with change? Naming a Clinton administration left over seems a little "sameish" to me. I'll leave my personal opinions of Emanuel out of this....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lost_Mind

You didn't really buy all that "change" stuff did you?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Change = Same old, same old

I think this will be a theme with his administration. Pick all kinds of DC politicians that have been around forever. Look at his VP....that sure wasn't change. His administration won't be, either.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

There is a huge difference between "policy advisor" to Clinton and "Cheif of Staff" to Obama.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

It's like high school volleyball and the gym teacher blew a whistle and shouted "rotate."

Big difference.

Cant wait to see how many other Clinton personnel get drafted.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's not more of the same if Rahm has a different position in this administration than he had in Clinton's. There's nothing wrong with taking the parts that worked and utilizing them while throwing out the parts that didn't work, is there?

Besides, it's not being called down as DC politics, it's being called down as Chicago Politics.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wouldn't you guys be a lot more nervous if Obama named a bunch of newbies to his cabinet?

I think finding people with experience is the safest bet considering Obama's lack of executive experience.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yeah, Emanuel has lot's of good "experience".

As a Democratic Party official, he once sent a pollster who was late delivering polling results a dead fish in a box.

Chicago Tribune deputy Washington bureau chief Naftali Bendavid writes that, as about a score of them sat around a picnic table mushily declaring their love for one another, Emanuel picked up a knife and called out the names of different politicians who had "f–––ed us." After each name, Emanuel would cry out, "Dead man!"—and stab the knife into the table.

What a guy!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Hrmmm doesn't your avatar say "deny hate"?

Tough to be anti-hater and hate at the same time.

"What a guy!"

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

How is presenting facts about this man hate?

People should know who these people are shouldn't they?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

On the subject of administration left overs, Obama also stated previously that Colin Powell would have a place in his administration after the endorsement. And the Dems all said McCain would be "more of the same"

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Of course, but the man ran on a platform of "hope and change". You can't change if you appoint insider after insider after insider.

That isn't change. Things will be run and done the same way.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Honestly, I almost expect a token position of some kind for Ayers (semi tongue in cheek), or at least some kind of post-inaugural, not very publicized "props" for his less than popular buddies. I am a firm advocate of "a man is known by the company he keeps" philosophy. And that goes for anyone, not just someone I am at odds with ideologically. I am very guarded about his postings considering his precampaign associations. He didnt start tossing these life long associations overboard until it seemed as though they were going to drag his run for the presidency into the ground.

As far as Emanuel goes, its not just the Clinton admin connections he is famous for, its his Chicago slash throat politicking he is known for. Pretty brutal guy at times, not a nice person to be around; I remember someone writing that he was a cross between a "hemorrhoid and a bad toothache" somewhere. Doesnt sound like anyone ready to spread "change and hope" throughout the land, IMO.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think "pretty brutal" is a fair assessment.

Did you see my exerts above describing how he mailed someone a dead fish and repeatedly stabbed a table yelling "dead man" at people?

Sounds like the kind of level headed guy we want in office huh?

That's the "change" we need people!!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

You can't change if you appoint insider after insider after insider.

I agree.

But I never bought the change and hope theory in the first place. The ones who voted for him did.

I believed Obama when he said more of the same and got Biden as his VP.

That told me more of the same was to be expected.

Action, my friend, speaks louder than words.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Breaking:

Emanuel has accepted the job. For better or worse

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've been thinking about this off and on since I heard about this earlier today...

My thoughts run like this... In the Senate and House, there is a powerful Democratic majority, President Obama can pretty much do as he pleases where legislation is concerned...

His problem is going to be trying to prevent his own party from turning against him, should he step out on them in any way, shape or form. Emmanuel will help him prevent that since he's rather tight with both Speaker Pelosi, and Senator Clinton.

The guy is a hard core politician, and that's what you need as a chief of staff. The doorman, if you will... No he's not your first choice as a bipartisan worker, but your chief of staff isn't the one who has to be, IMHO. That's cabinet sec's, and the President, and the leadership on the Hill. A guard dog, if you will...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yes seagull you are spot on, Bill Clintons mistake was that early on he allowed himself to get pushed around. Obama has chosen the perfect guy to prevent that from happening and he is sending a message that he is not here to play games and will rule with an iron fist. Obama is not stupid, he knows what he is doing and I trust him.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Its like one of those MasterCard commercials:

- Winning the United States Presidential election? 600 million dollars.
- Gaining complete control of the legislative branch? 180 million dollars.
- Election party victory bash? 5 million dollars.

Appointing a chief advisor of the previous Democrat administration after making "change" a main component of your campaign?

Priceless.

Emanuel as Chief of Staff - that is change we can believe in. Oh, wait...

[edit on 6-11-2008 by LowLevelMason]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join